Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2021 3:54:09 PM EDT
I would like to know what ammo to use on a firing range so I can get a better feel for the pistol I need to learn how to train with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Post is a bit ambiguous, but a .22 LR conversion if one's available for your firearm is my suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mecompco:
Post is a bit ambiguous, but a .22 LR conversion if one's available for your firearm is my suggestion.
View Quote

better than not being able to train. .22 lr it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stay clear of gunshow reloads.   There is a lot of crap “factory reloads” out there too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samaanc:

better than not being able to train. .22 lr it is.
View Quote

Yup, if you're talking AR/Glock/1911 and I'm sure others, but don't know about them, I think .22 conversions are the answer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
In normal time so the answer would be learn and get set up to reload. These days with primers in short supply and astronomical prices for them, buy all the other stuff ( tools powder bullets) then when prices come down buy a ton of primers.
Reloading good training ammo is not at all difficult and much less time consuming than many think

Short of reloading 22 conversions and guns in general are a great alternative, but even 22 ammo is scarce and prices higher currently.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Its always good to run a box of your carry ammo through your carry pistol.  You need to make VERY SURE the combination works.  Some Point-of-Aim, Point-of-impact testing can be relevant if you are intending to shoot at distance (i.e. 25 yards+)  Not every ammo shoots the same spot at 25y+.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at dry firing, drawing and mag changes in front of a mirror, after triple checking gun and magazines are unloaded.  There are laser simulators you can use.  Pellet and airsoft guns for training and of course .22LR.  Got a Colt .22 conversion for my 1911 long ago and used to have a M261 .22LR M16 conversion kit for my AR.  My kids learned on them when they were young.  I also cast and reload.  My ammo prices is only powder and primer.  Recycle the lead out of my backstop in backyard to recast my bullets.

CD
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It's true that there's a shit ton of work that can, and absolutely should, be done dry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top