Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2017 7:41:59 PM EDT
I just don't have time to reload lately and want to find a decent source for cheap bulk .40 ammo that is as soft shooting as possible and still make major for practice and local matches.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTjer] [#1]
Factory .40 will be pretty snappy.

If you want to use some ammo more suited, maybe try Atlanta Arms.

A guy I practice with uses them for his ammo.

“Cheap”?    No.

If you want cheap, you’ll probably have to load it yourself or deal with a snappier factory load.

Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, just ordered 2000 rounds of new mfg. 180gr from Freedom Munitions for like $.23 a round. Their info sheet says it's loaded to average 950 FPS which is just above major.

Should be be good for range ammo and local matches. I guess I'll have to roll my own for more serious matches.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I dunno how it compares price wise but T1 ammo offers loads geared towards competition.
Some of the locals use it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:
Well, just ordered 2000 rounds of new mfg. 180gr from Freedom Munitions for like $.23 a round. Their info sheet says it's loaded to average 950 FPS which is just above major.

Should be be good for range ammo and local matches. I guess I'll have to roll my own for more serious matches.
View Quote
You should be good for locals where they don't chrono the ammo. There was a guy who used Freedom Munitions 9mm in the Masters IDPA competition in Alabama this year who when put on the chronograph didn't make power factor. It sucked because he had driven hundreds of miles and spent money on a hotel, etc. It is soft shooting ammo but it was below advertised speed and that ended up costing him.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My Para only likes long-loaded .40, so Atlanta is my go-to for factory stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A few guys I’ve shot with like these guys.  They load for competitive shooters.

Peak Performance
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BAMA47:

You should be good for locals where they don't chrono the ammo. There was a guy who used Freedom Munitions 9mm in the Masters IDPA competition in Alabama this year who when put on the chronograph didn't make power factor. It sucked because he had driven hundreds of miles and spent money on a hotel, etc. It is soft shooting ammo but it was below advertised speed and that ended up costing him.
View Quote
At Delmarva last year a LOT of people went sub-minor at chrono. Problem with using ammo near the edge without chrono'ing in the cold through your gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Dillon XL650
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I choreographed winchester white box 165 grain the other day. Can't remember the exact number, but it made major in my G35.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
I choreographed winchester white box 165 grain the other day. Can't remember the exact number, but it made major in my G35.
View Quote
The 165gr WWB advertises 1,000fps.  That's cutting it pretty close..
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Blazer Brass ammo at major matches. We have to make 170 PF up here for Standard/Limited major and the Blazer stuff makes that all damn day through my Tanfo standard gun. About 985 fps.

I use the 180 gr .40sw and they are short, 1.125 truncated cone. Got 172PF and 175PF at the last 2 matches. Stuff is relatively cheap here in Canada so most likely much cheaper where you are.  $189/CAN for 500 rds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top