Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2012 9:46:09 PM EDT
Anyone notice the setup that the winning team (D Company, SWTG, Benning) was using to take their final shots with. Both Sniper and Spotter had a bipod and rear bag rest, with the normal weak side rear bag hold, but then they also had a TIC slip cuff or the like slung up as well, but instead of using a classic sling supported grip, the have the sling attachment point mounted onto a 45 degree pic rail adapter right under the front half of the front of the scope .

In other words instead of the normal sling attachment in the 6 oclock or 9 oclock position at the extreme front of the weapon near the muzzle they pull it all the way back and use a rail adaptor to integrate it in with the rear bag grip..

If anyone knows any more about this method of sling supported with a front and rear rest I would love to learn about how to do it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Of this I find interest....
Linky to any pics or details of said sling arrangement???
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#3]

Originally Posted By wildearp:

Was it this?
http://www.tacticalintervention.com/
Well yes, they were both shooting with a slip cuff model 2 (might of been a quick cuff), but that was not what was interesting, They were both shooting using a very unconventional sling setup.
Im gonna try to go back and grab a screen shot of it, but basically they were doing something that I have never really seen done before, but they seemed to be able to use the sling to lock the weapon down even more than the already solid position they were in using a front/rear supported shot with both a bipod and a rear bag (rear bag hold grip).
I've never seen anybody who was shooting from a supported position and using a rear bag also use a sling supported hold at the same time since all it would do is reintroduce the shooters influence onto an already stable support that the weapon has being supported by the ground and not having contact with the shooters weak hand at all.
But what these guys did was move the front sling mount using a rail qd sling attachement mounted on a 45 deg. cant and mount it way way back on the rail, much closer to the shooters body than you would ever see a conventional sling attachment. So what it did was basically add another point of stabilization for the rifle by creating a nice tight triangle with a point of contact from the rail to the classic cuffed sling part of the guys upper arm.
I realize its proably impossible to follow my description so im gonna try to grab a screenshot, but from the way they both immediately cuffed into their slings it was obvious that they were both familiar with this technique of shooting, and from watching every other ocmpetitior go to the line, nobody else even considered using a sling of any kind. and these guys were the only shooting pair in the entire match to both score hits on the final target.

I grew up relying on the use of a sliing supported hold on my weapon whenever possible using a cuffed sling as opposed to a simple hasty and still really enjoy that method of shooting, so I was excited to see this new (to me at least) integration of the best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Would love to see this.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok heres a crummy screenshot that illustrates what I mean. Notice the location and how far back the front swivel is connected, almost all the way back to the receiver itself, it is also mounted on a 45 degree angled mount which to me shows that someone has spent some time playing with this setup. finally see how he still is in the normal rear bag supported grip, which when he actually breaks the shot the only part of his body actually touching the rifle will be his shoulder and then the pad of a single finger resting on the trigger itself, the other hand is gripping the rear bag completely.

there were plenty of slings present, most of the shooters are  HSLD types so its not always possible to tell who is who from camo or unit mark alone, but there were definitey plenty of slings present, and almost all of the Marines (at lease those in Marpat) had their quick cuff mod 2's attached to their weapons (but not being used) as well as many of the other competitors, from what I could see, the only two shooters who were slung up as opposed to have them laying in the dirt for the shot were the the two (and only pair out of 80) who both made their hits apart from a sea of misses.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not wrapped arond his left arm. Is it wrapped around the right? Since he is shooting off the bipod he might be using it to control recoil in order to watch his own trace/impact. He may just pull it back out of the way. Pulling to much can put a cant on the rifle and that would be bad for accuracy.

It could be he is using a cross chest mount and just went prone.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Scottv:
It is not wrapped arond his left arm. Is it wrapped around the right? Since he is shooting off the bipod he might be using it to control recoil in order to watch his own trace/impact. He may just pull it back out of the way. Pulling to much can put a cant on the rifle and that would be bad for accuracy.

Nailed it! ^^^    
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DSand] [#8]
It kinda looks like this.....
https://www.laruetactical.com/optimized-sniper-sling
Since he's running an OBR it kinda makes since
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Scottv:

I am 99 percent positive that it was in fact wrapped around his left arm, which is also in place to support the rear bag. It doesnt seem to have anything at all to do with his right arm as it shouldnt.  

Pulling to much can put a cant on the rifle and that would be bad for accuracy.

this was exctly my reason for asking the quesiton, I thought that the rearward mount of the sling might be there to minimize and lateral pull on rifle and instead help with an additional point of support. That was my theory anyway. I guess I should just prone out and recreate his setup since  I have all the parts.

What is a 'cross chest mount' im not familar with the term.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]
This looks like  SGT 1st Class Chance Gianelli , he is seen in the LaRue Sniper Comp DVD.
Not sure if he was in this years ISC, but that is his set-up from 2010. seems like he is using a Viking Tac padded sling, which is a 2-point sling set-up.
that lil'black strap is just resting on his left arm. So the 2-point sling is just strapped around his back, when he went prone...

nothing to complicated about that
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By TANGO2072:

This looks like  SGT 1st Class Chance Gianelli , he is seen in the LaRue Sniper Comp DVD.

Not sure if he was in this years ISC, but that is his set-up from 2010. seems like he is using a Viking Tac padded sling, which is a 2-point sling set-up.

that lil'black strap is just resting on his left arm. So the 2-point sling is just strapped around his back, when he went prone...

nothing to complicated about that

Thanks for the help. I was overthinking it and didn't realize he dropped the cuff setup he was using earlier. It was in fact Sgt. 1st Class Giannelli you are correct.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Like the Larue Sling
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]
He is using the VTac sling in the standard configuration.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/videos/pop-instr_video1_sling.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top