Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 4:25:57 PM EDT
Does anyone have any comments good or bad on the HiLux Service Rifle Scope?

I am having an increasingly difficult time with presbyopia and iron sights, so I have a A4 upper rig with a NightForce SR scope ready to try.

I built some practice rigs to make practicing offhand near home easier since it is an ordeal to get to the club.

I figure I should convert the dedicated Service Rifle Rimfire and 5.45x39 rigs to scope as well, but the NightForce scopes are $1.9k each and the HiLux is $0.5k each.

If there isn't much negative feedback on the HiLux, it will make the conversion to scopes a lot less painful financially.

Anyone try one yet?

hi-lux 1-4x34 service rifle scope at WOA
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snafu12] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not tracking would be a deal breaker.

Sorry to hear that.

And thanks for the pointer, that scope looks good enough for the dedicated rimfire rig.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just move the nightforce from rifle to rifle.  Keep track of you zeros and a solid mount and you should be good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#4]
That could work too. I spent good money on the QD mounts to be able to do just that.

Now that I will be retiring at the end of the month, I should have more time for shooting and loading without fear of moving the scope.

I have been a little gun-shy about moving it around cause I didn't think I would have time to re-zero.

I just barely got a 100 yard zero on it back on my birthday and need to go shoot zeros for 200, 300, 600 to be ready to jumpstart it into the matches.

I shot a XTC on Saturday, (with irons) but it was only my second match of the year having shot one back in July when we were testing electronic targets.

I like the idea of one Vortex and one Hi-Lux to play around with the different reticules and parallax issues.

But you make an excellent point... in the end I could just move the NF scope to the rimfire then back to the SR rig and see how repeatable the process can be. An excellent suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I used one this last season and I can say that it is a very nice scope.  It tracks just fine - Zero problems. Passed my box test and yardage changes back and forth during the season.  The parallax is adjustable this is nice for dry fire practice down in the basement as well as on the range across the course.  The optics are quite clear.  the clicks are positive.  The scope is well marked so I can see which direction to turn the turrets while in position.  This scope is really packed with features for the money.  I did pick up a FAT wrench to torque it properly in my Freedom Reaper mount as I had to remount it because it moved during a match.  The only "issue" I have with the scope is with the illumination does not work in full light.   I also ditched the sunshade as I had it vibrate off once during a match and never bothered with after.  I did have learning curve with it in that I had to teach myself to focus on the center cross hair just like the A2 front sight.  Hello, Once I got that through my skull my scores shot up 20 points.  I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input.

So far, I have only played with the HiLux to sight it in. I really did like the parallax adjustment and feel that it will be an advantage over the NightForce SR scope but will wait till I can do a side by side comparison before I say more.

I also went ahead and bought their Freedom Reaper mount. No issues so far. All in all a very solid set up.

We will have a two day MidRange match at the end of the month and I’m thinking of running the NightForce and HiLux just to see if there is any difference at the 600 yard line.

I put the HiLux on a fresh Shilen Ratchet Rifled bbl upper and the NightForce is on the Kreiger bbl upper. This way I will have to move the scopes back and forth to keep the differences in the uppers from influencing the scope issues, but that is the whole point of shooting the Service Rifle in a Mid Range match. It becomes a testing venue for the 600 yard line issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I put the HiLux on my service rifle last season. I think I shot five 300 yard matches and didn't have any tracking issues. The scope is currently on my smallbore upper and isn't having any issues. The adjustable parallax is a nice feature and it makes the scope just that much more versitile.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like the HiLux reticle for that circle wrapped around the crosshair.

I shot the Nightforce more than the HiLux because the weights on the upper with the HiLux came loose.

I’m getting more comfortable with the optics in general.

Most of the shots are on call, with the mystery shots becoming more rare as time goes on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
I really like the HiLux reticle for that circle wrapped around the crosshair.

I shot the Nightforce more than the HiLux because the weights on the upper with the HiLux came loose.

I’m getting more comfortable with the optics in general.

Most of the shots are on call, with the mystery shots becoming more rare as time goes on.
View Quote
I have one and LOVE it. I havee a cap on the very end that I've drilled a small center hole in it.
3/8'th's I think. It forces me to concentrate on the crosshairs as well as the circle reticle.

Well worth the money!
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:17:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJY16] [#10]
Had one.  Sent it back.  First the sunshade threads were cut oversize and it wouldn't stay on.  It took over a month to get a replacement from Hi-Lux.  Then the tracking seemed out of wack and the clicks didn't seem to be exactly 1/4MOA, they seemed slightly larger but I can't confirm for sure.  The final straw was when I noticed that the objective bell was loose.  I gave up on it completely at that point.  Check it out here  https://youtu.be/9t3jFj6Yoig  I replaced it with a Nightforce SR-2 and my scores went up 30 points.  I found it difficult to center the horseshoe reticle in the Hi-lux.  I couldn't get a consistent line of white.  The open bottom screwed it up.  The SR-2 reticle is much better for me.  There is no comparison in the build quality between the Hi-Lux and the Nightforce.  My recommendation for a new scope shooter would be to keep shooting irons until you can afford a Nightforce or Leupold.  I shot better with irons than the Hi-lux but my scores shot way up with the Nightforce.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
AJ are you using the horseshoe/circle for all positions or did it just affect Standing?

It seems some of the tracking issue may be the set screws in the knobs not holding well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJY16: The final straw was when I noticed that the objective bell was loose.  I gave up on it completely at that point.  Check it out here  https://youtu.be/9t3jFj6Yoig  
View Quote
OMG that video is nutz. I was squadded at Perry with the guy who imports them. He was the guy that created the spec, and I was impressed while talking with him, but then I started hearing bad stories about them as well as talking with buddies that have had issues. Glad I avoided it.

B
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow! That video of the play on the objective was scary.

Did they say anything about it or just refund your money and end it?

So far, I have spent the vast majority of the time on the Niteforce rig, but have one of these HiLux scopes mounted on a SR upper, and another new one still in the box.

I'll have to check them both now.....

ETA: I checked the mounted one since that was easy, and get nothing like play at all. So far so good with the mounted unit. I'll open the box and check the other one tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top