Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2020 5:44:16 PM EDT
After attending this course, I was asked to write a review to help bring attention to this unique class in the market. I’ve done a significant amount of training from Shivworks ECQC & EWO to Sentinel Concepts Carbine & Ernest Langdon Tactical Pistol Classes -  I’m a student of defensive tactics.

I’d heard so much about John Murphy of FPF Training that when a class came available localish to me I jumped on it.

3 weeks prior to the class, to my surprise, I received an email from John Murphy with links to ~4 hours of “pre-work” videos to watch. I truly appreciate this level of professionalism in an instructor. This was a tremendous amount of value!

The class was hosted by Bill Armstrong, the proprietor and driving force behind Meadhall Range in Shawnee, Oklahoma. His range is fantastic. Beautiful 300 yards range, A/Cd bathrooms, plenty of shade available and his just recently completed classroom structure with A/V equipment! It’s tough to think of a facility, and an owner, as well suited to hosting classes such as the one I attend.

The class was a 2 day class. The first few hours were spent with John Murphy speaking to a professional powerpoint presentation - this is unusual in the industry - and then sometime inside in the AC going over the following building blocks of “Street Smarts”:

- Pre-Assault Cues
- Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)
- Pepper Spray Usage (As part of the course, the price included several POM trainers & a live POM unit)
- Medical  - Usage of Tourniquets & Israeli bandages

After lunch, we went to the range for the remainder of the day and a half of the course. John Murphy is a certified Rangemaster instructor and his firearms instruction was commensurate with that highly regarded certification. We covered some tactics and drills to build on the “street skills”.
- Concealed Draw
- Shooting from Retention
- Strong & Weak side shooting
- Shoot - No Shoot Decision making
- Incorporating OC Spray into your response
- And more

This class was excellent. In truth, I had seen much of this before in separate courses. And that  is exactly the beauty of this course.

WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?

This course is for the person who recognizes that there is much more to armed defense than the gun - that the gun is not a hammer for which all problems are a nail.

If you’ve taken a bunch of gun classes but have realized that there’s more to it than that, this is the class for you.
If you’ve recently bought your first gun, got your CHL and maybe taken a basic pistol class but understand the hammer & nail issue, this class is for you.
If you want to begin to round out, and formalize the layered nature of civilian self defense, this is for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
John is a trip. I've taken classes with him here at his home base in VA. Very knowledgeable...and entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks op it’s local to me. I’m certainly interested in some training.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent AAR, sorry I had to miss that course.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent AAR, sorry I had to miss that course.
View Quote

Terrific news!  I'm back there 5-6 June, and the program is even better now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top