Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2018 1:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob]
So who is shooting what as far as major matches go this year.  I just got done shooting the Great plains Sectional.  My best  finish ever at a major as first B in production.  I also plan no shooting Area 3 and the Iowa Sectional.
2018 Great Plains Sectional

Im planing on trying the MN sectional next year and maybe Area 5 depending on where it is at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTjer] [#1]
Shot my first major in June, Area 7.

Signing up for Delmarva Sectional in September.

Congrats on the finish.   Hoping to compete for a class placing at the Sectional myself.

Looking at doing Area 7, Area 8 and the Mid-Atlantic Sectional next year, with one more Sectional as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya it was cool did not see it coming.  I knew I was have a pretty good match but was still very shocked when the scores got posted.  I am now also felling a lot more stress for the next one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm debating shooting the IA sectional. I'd like to go just to shoot some fun stages.

I'm a no-good PCC guy though! Haha.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If  you want to shoot IA better sign up soon there is already a wait list.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamW] [#5]
Sure enough. There wasn't when I looked yesterday. Had been out of the game for a while and got back and shot my first match of the season last week and am re-hooked. I signed up for the waiting list today. Day late and a dollar short apparently.

ETA: I'm in! Guessing by your username and class, I'm assuming I'll see you Saturday, but your squad was full. If you're interested shoot me an IM. Would be nice to meet an arfcommer, especially since I don't have a super-cool USPSA click to hang out with
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rustybob:
So who is shooting what as far as major matches go this year.  I just got done shooting the Great plains Sectional.  My best  finish ever at a major as first B in production.  I also plan no shooting Area 3 and the Iowa Sectional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2klvhTv6r1Q

Im planing on trying the MN sectional next year and maybe Area 5 depending on where it is at.
View Quote
That's good shooting considering all the baggers in B class.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

That's good shooting considering all the baggers in B class.
View Quote
I was really hopping to make A this year but I dont see that happening now with the high HF changing and the fact that I cant seem to shoot a classifier better than 68% all year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SamW:

ETA: I'm in! Guessing by your username and class, I'm assuming I'll see you Saturday, but your squad was full. If you're interested shoot me an IM. Would be nice to meet an arfcommer, especially since I don't have a super-cool USPSA click to hang out with
View Quote
Did you get in?  Id be interested in meeting a arfcommer.  Also how do I get in to this super cool click thing?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you get in?  Id be interested in meeting a arfcommer.  Also how do I get in to this super cool click thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You have to join Doodie Project and start hating on everything.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes

Haha.

Yep, I'm in. Shooting Saturday.

Around here apparently you show up late to the local shoot, don't help setup, paste the closest target to you, complain about minor infractions, and demand to only be squadded with the same people, lest they have to explain anything or teach any of the newbies, then pack up and leave as soon as you're done shooting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]

I was really hopping to make A this year but I dont see that happening now with the high HF changing and the fact that I cant seem to shoot a classifier better than 68% all year.
View Quote
I can shoot ‘A’......and I shot 1 ‘M’ in the practice after the match set up the day before, but come match day........’C’ or ZERO.  Haha

I swear I’m not sandbagging......at least not consciously.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob] [#12]

Haha.

Yep, I'm in. Shooting Saturday.

Around here apparently you show up late to the local shoot, don't help setup, paste the closest target to you, complain about minor infractions, and demand to only be squadded with the same people, lest they have to explain anything or teach any of the newbies, then pack up and leave as soon as you're done shooting.
View Quote
I love those people as I do all the registration and scoring for our locals.  But on the other hand I use that as a teaching moment.  If you want to pick your squad preregister if your a walk up I pick to balance squads.

Any Idea how they are going to work 6 squads I thought they only had 5 bays?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I assume one squad will work in to bay #1 as a squad makes its way back from bay #5 to the start so they're not falling behind the squad that runs 1-5.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Shooting the Carolina Classic in September.
There's a state Championship Steel Challenge week after that I may do.
I think next year I may try to hit 4 USPSA majors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Area 1, Great Plains Sectional, Area 3, and MN Sectional.

This was my second year shooting the Great Plains Sectional. It's a fun match. It was the best squad I've ever been on too. You would only get to tape 1 or 2 targets because absolutely everyone but the on deck guy was resetting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Ya grate plains was and is run well.  Only complaint I had this year was how long that the last squads took to finish in the afternoon witch delayed tare down.  my squad stat for over a hour after we got done shooting before we could start tearing down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamW] [#17]
I went to one of my small local matches (indoors during the week, ugh) and the guy who runs it is staffing the IA sectional. He said bay #1 is a 100 yard rifle range and they pack two stages into the space.

Of course, they didn't shoot a classifier with me trying to get classified before the sectional. I did shoot a match last weekend that I pulled out an overall win. Next closest was another PCC guy with 87%. Shot 95% of possible points, was pretty happy.

Shot a 7.4967 HF on classifier 99-10, but looks like that's only very upper-end of 'B' class.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:38:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob] [#18]
Back from Area 3 Placed way better than last year.  Overall happy with how I shot but still need a lot of work on moving faster.  Even more so on longer runs.  Sorry about the bad field of view my camera mount got bummed.

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Back from Area 3 Placed way better than last year.  Overall happy with how I shot but still need a lot of work on moving faster.  Even more so on longer runs.  Sorry about the bad field of view my camera mount got bummed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEULopRGe0
View Quote
Nice.  
Definitely an interesting looking match.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
It was kind of bland last year it was like a circus and I thought it was great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamW] [#21]
Looks like a good chance for storms on Sat and Sunday supposed to be nice, but squads are locked, so soggy savages we be I suppose.

Been shooting a few matches here and there, got classified in 'B' for PCC. Seems to be where most gravitate to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
im hopping to stay dry but not looking good
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Back from Iowa.  Over all it was a fun match.

Having said that I dont think I will be back next year.  I did like the stages for the most part and I think they did a good job building them given the bays and the size of bays they have but most only had one way to shoot them or only one that was a reasonable plan.

One WSB was worded poorly and stated that all mags started on a table and could not be stowed.  When I asked the ROs to define stowed they could not and I then asked if holding a mag in my support hand and shooting an array strong hand only was considered stowing the same as putting in a mag pouch.  I was told it was.  Bad call I should have called for the RM but did not.

Also was not happy at chrono when after may first 3 did not make PF and shooting my next 3 the chrono officer admitted that when first turned on the chrono sometimes reads low until he runs a few over it.  He turned it on and got 750 fps then the next five were 930-965.  Maybe warm the thing up next time

just dont think Ill drive 4 1/2 hours each way for it next year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Stuff like that doesn't surprise me at a section match. They don't get the best ROs, but they have to take what they can get. No one wants to RO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:56:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamW] [#25]
Back from Iowa.  Over all it was a fun match.

Having said that I dont think I will be back next year.  I did like the stages for the most part and I think they did a good job building them given the bays and the size of bays they have but most only had one way to shoot them or only one that was a reasonable plan.

One WSB was worded poorly and stated that all mags started on a table and could not be stowed.  When I asked the ROs to define stowed they could not and I then asked if holding a mag in my support hand and shooting an array strong hand only was considered stowing the same as putting in a mag pouch.  I was told it was.  Bad call I should have called for the RM but did not.

Also was not happy at chrono when after may first 3 did not make PF and shooting my next 3 the chrono officer admitted that when first turned on the chrono sometimes reads low until he runs a few over it.  He turned it on and got 750 fps then the next five were 930-965.  Maybe warm the thing up next time

just dont think Ill drive 4 1/2 hours each way for it next year.
View Quote
Bob,

Sorry I missed you. I saw the BFL, but it was as we were pulling out and by then the wife was over it and I just broke a firing pin on my LAST stage.... the one with the doors worth a ton of points. Zero'd it, 7 FTE's since my PCC went inop. Then I stayed to help paste even though 3/4 of my squad sat on their asses. So needless to say, I wouldn't have been pleasant company anyways. I was having a decent match, but not great. Had several feeding issues out of both of my big-sticks before lunch, despite a thorough cleaning. Remedied at lunch, but the damage was done. I'm officially switching to Glock mags (from colt style). Came in 2nd overall on a stage, but was downhill from there.

This was my first sectional, but meh. Like you said, too much cookie-cutter, no real chances to benefit from being able to shoot on the move. Sprinting from one shooting position to the next. I was also disappointed in how much the actual stages varied from the PS printouts. Some stages missing, others added, some not even remotely similar to the printout w/ target locs, sightlines, etc.

RO's were hit and miss and generally got grumpier as the day went on, as expected. Some were great. In general I was glad to see youth there helping out and I hope the competitors made it a point to thank them/be polite regardless of circumstance. There was a forced re-shoot on my squad for start position, even though the RO in charge OK'd it, competitor ran it, then another RO complained to RM, who carted over and told competitor to re-shoot it. Competitor was more understanding than I would have been.

I also had a Delta called that I disagreed with, but of course it was on the course where they had two RO's scoring at the same time. Never heard him call it. Went to sign my score sheet and questioned it. I never heard a delta, neither did anyone else, but at that point everything was pasted. He found the delta on the tablet, but no one could tell me from where. I still disagreed. It was a good run other than a delta (2 charlie, 1 "delta", and rest Alphas), and they weren't going to give me the time of day anyways, so I signed it. Stuff happens.

Still a good day and now I get to buy more PCC stuff
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob] [#26]

Bob,

Sorry I missed you. I saw the BFL, but it was as we were pulling out and by then the wife was over it and I just broke a firing pin on my LAST stage.... the one with the doors worth a ton of points. Zero'd it, 7 FTE's since my PCC went inop. Then I stayed to help paste even though 3/4 of my squad sat on their asses. So needless to say, I wouldn't have been pleasant company anyways. I was having a decent match, but not great. Had several feeding issues out of both of my big-sticks before lunch, despite a thorough cleaning. Remedied at lunch, but the damage was done. I'm officially switching to Glock mags (from colt style). Came in 2nd overall on a stage, but was downhill from there.

This was my first sectional, but meh. Like you said, too much cookie-cutter, no real chances to benefit from being able to shoot on the move. Sprinting from one shooting position to the next. I was also disappointed in how much the actual stages varied from the PS printouts. Some stages missing, others added, some not even remotely similar to the printout w/ target locs, sightlines, etc.

RO's were hit and miss and generally got grumpier as the day went on, as expected. Some were great. In general I was glad to see youth there helping out and I hope the competitors made it a point to thank them/be polite regardless of circumstance. There was a forced re-shoot on my squad for start position, even though the RO in charge OK'd it, competitor ran it, then another RO complained to RM, who carted over and told competitor to re-shoot it. Competitor was more understanding than I would have been.

I also had a Delta called that I disagreed with, but of course it was on the course where they had two RO's scoring at the same time. Never heard him call it. Went to sign my score sheet and questioned it. I never heard a delta, neither did anyone else, but at that point everything was pasted. He found the delta on the tablet, but no one could tell me from where. I still disagreed. It was a good run other than a delta (2 charlie, 1 "delta", and rest Alphas), and they weren't going to give me the time of day anyways, so I signed it. Stuff happens.

Still a good day and now I get to buy more PCC stuff
View Quote
Sitting at home now I really wish I had made them call the RM but from what I saw thru out the day he defaluted to the ROs are right regardless.  Did you have a singed score sheet before they made you re-shoot?  If you did I would have told them to get bent under 9.7.4.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually, in this case the RM overruled the RO who gave the shooter permission to start in that position.

I also saw the RM correct the chrono officer who didn't know the correct procedure if a competitor didn't make PF in his first 3 rounds.

Also, luckily, it was me. It was an 'M' level PCC shooter. Not sure if they let him sign his sheet or not. I forget the stage name, but it was the all-steel one. He started with his gun downrange, but his hips were facing the 3 poppers off to the left. RO ok'd it before he started. Before he started another RO complained and the ROIC told him it was ok. 2nd RO radio'd for RM who came over AFTER he already shot and told him he had to re-shoot. Guy had a wicked time on the stage too.

I haven't been in long enough to know the rules... the sheer amount of them is daunting. I usually rely on senior squad members to help me out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Actually, in this case the RM overruled the RO who gave the shooter permission to start in that position.

I also saw the RM correct the chrono officer who didn't know the correct procedure if a competitor didn't make PF in his first 3 rounds.

Also, luckily, it was me. It was an 'M' level PCC shooter. Not sure if they let him sign his sheet or not. I forget the stage name, but it was the all-steel one. He started with his gun downrange, but his hips were facing the 3 poppers off to the left. RO ok'd it before he started. Before he started another RO complained and the ROIC told him it was ok. 2nd RO radio'd for RM who came over AFTER he already shot and told him he had to re-shoot. Guy had a wicked time on the stage too.

I haven't been in long enough to know the rules... the sheer amount of them is daunting. I usually rely on senior squad members to help me out.
View Quote
Just because an RO is running the timer doesn't make him the CRO for the stage. A lot of times when you have 2 or 3 ROs on a stage they'll switch out who's doing what. Now, if the RM said reshoot then the shooter has no choice but to reshoot or receive a 0. There are no optional reshoots.

Also, this is why I've noticed a trend towards the start position of "handgun loaded and holstered, wrists below belt". That way you don't care what the shooter is doing as long as his wrists are below his belt. Makes it a lot easier on the RO. In the same scenario PCC start position would be stock on belt, muzzle pointing generally down range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:

Just because an RO is running the timer doesn't make him the CRO for the stage. A lot of times when you have 2 or 3 ROs on a stage they'll switch out who's doing what. Now, if the RM said reshoot then the shooter has no choice but to reshoot or receive a 0. There are no optional reshoots.

Also, this is why I've noticed a trend towards the start position of "handgun loaded and holstered, wrists below belt". That way you don't care what the shooter is doing as long as his wrists are below his belt. Makes it a lot easier on the RO. In the same scenario PCC start position would be stock on belt, muzzle pointing generally down range.
View Quote
Makes sense. In this case the issue was "facing downrange" vs. muzzle downrange.

There were targets off hard to the left. If you can shoot at it, it's downrange IMO, but the RM ruled that the shooter's hips had to be pointed at the back berm. Seemed arbitrary, but as mentioned above I'm relatively new at this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Makes sense. In this case the issue was "facing downrange" vs. muzzle downrange.

There were targets off hard to the left. If you can shoot at it, it's downrange IMO, but the RM ruled that the shooter's hips had to be pointed at the back berm. Seemed arbitrary, but as mentioned above I'm relatively new at this.
View Quote
A lot of RO/RM calls seamed arbitrary.  That was due to what I would call badly written WSB.  Such as you posted above or the one I questioned.  All mags start on table vs mags/reloads must remain on table until used.  I wanted to hold one in my weak hand and that was declared to be stowed.  I dont think that would fit anyone understanding of stowed anyplace but they made the call due to a badly written Stage brief.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Facing downrange is explicitly defined as standing square to the backstop.

That's why I prefer WSBs to state "facing generally downrange" if they choose to impose that condition.  Or better yet,don't specify and let the shooter just freestyle it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Figured this sub could use a little action. All signed up for '19 as far as my majors go.

- JP PCC Midwest Championship
- Great Plains Sectional
- Area 3
- Iowa Sectional

Plan on competing in PCC, but I just had my Stock II milled for an optic, so....
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#33]
'19
Battle in the Bluegrass.
Still kicking around some other ideas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Im shooting
Great plains
Area 3
Wisconsin
Iowa
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm shooting the SNS 400 Indiana Sectional in June.  That may be it for this year.  I only shoot 1 or 2 matches a month.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Like I have for the past 5 years,  Ill be working and shooting area 7
I'll also shoot A8

I won overall PCC at both A7 and A8 in 2018 so I have a slot for Nationals.  I'm just not sure if I can fit that trip to Utah in my budget.  
I should start a go fund me thing.   What are the chances of AR15 members putting in enough to cover my expenses?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamW] [#37]
Im shooting
Great plains
Area 3
Wisconsin
Iowa
View All Quotes
Im shooting
Great plains
Area 3
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maybe we'll get to meet this year. What are the odds of firing breaking firing pins on the last stage two years in a row? Also learning my way through the sport, so will be there on the days before to walk stages. Turns out you're not supposed to just show up and shoot at majors

Originally Posted By SJan:
Like I have for the past 5 years,  Ill be working and shooting area 7
I'll also shoot A8

I won overall PCC at both A7 and A8 in 2018 so I have a slot for Nationals.  I'm just not sure if I can fit that trip to Utah in my budget.  
I should start a go fund me thing.   What are the chances of AR15 members putting in enough to cover my expenses?
Iowa Section had 3 spots open for PCC/Open. Thought about it, but given the time and money I figured I'd give myself another year and maybe cut out of either of one of the section matches next year and replace it with Nats budget wise. If you've won HOA PCC at TWO section matches, I'd do it! If nothing else you can compete/watch/be in? with the Super Squad folks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Battle in the Bluegrass
GA State Steel Challenge Championship
GA State USPSA Championship
Tennessee State USPSA
Production Nationals

Maybe NC State if it doesn't conflict with other matches.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 12:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha82] [#39]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Battle in the Bluegrass
GA State Steel Challenge Championship
GA State USPSA Championship
Tennessee State USPSA
Production Nationals

Maybe NC State if it doesn't conflict with other matches.
View Quote
You did pretty good there. Congrats. Sucks it was the last of them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks!  I'm sad to see Battle ending, but looking forward to other matches that range puts on.  Maybe a KY State match?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Well Its been a good year so far took high B single stack at great plains and now it looks like I got high B at area 3.  Off to the Wisconsin sectional next week and Iowa in September.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top