Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2020 5:49:43 AM EDT
I bought a .224 grendel barrel online, was looking for something that could give some more fps to my 77tmk loads and still use the ar15 platform. Anyone else using this? Looking at the loadings people have it should push 3k fps with this and a 80gr vld.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been thinking about picking up a 224 Grendel barrel. Thru some “horse trading” I’ve wound up with a 2nd 18” 6.5 Grendel, I thought about rebarreling one of them just to have another caliber to play with and compare to the 6.5 Grendel. I’d have bolts, brass, mags, etc.

It looks like there are many, many names for the same cartridge!? 224 Grendel, 224 Predator, 224 LBC, etc. It looks like they’re all close enough to be the same thing.

Some of the 224 Grendel barrels are for a Type 1 bolt, some are for a Type 2 bolt. Which barrel did you get?

I’m also looking at a 6 Grendel for the same reason.

The 2nd 6.5 Grendel is a brand that’s not known for having the best barrels, that’s the main reason I was thinking about swapping barrels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wideglidejoe:
I’ve been thinking about picking up a 224 Grendel barrel. Thru some “horse trading” I’ve wound up with a 2nd 18” 6.5 Grendel, I thought about rebarreling one of them just to have another caliber to play with and compare to the 6.5 Grendel. I’d have bolts, brass, mags, etc.

It looks like there are many, many names for the same cartridge!? 224 Grendel, 224 Predator, 224 LBC, etc. It looks like they’re all close enough to be the same thing.

Some of the 224 Grendel barrels are for a Type 1 bolt, some are for a Type 2 bolt. Which barrel did you get?

I’m also looking at a 6 Grendel for the same reason.

The 2nd 6.5 Grendel is a brand that’s not known for having the best barrels, that’s the main reason I was thinking about swapping barrels.
View Quote

I bought it on ar15 perf, it uses a .124" bolt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I now have a ARP 20".224 Predator/Grendel barrel on the way, I bought it from a member on the 65Grendel forum.  Looking forward to swapping barrels and trying it out!
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Why did you go that way instead of the Valkyrie?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wideglidejoe] [#5]
Several reasons. I’ll be putting the .224 Predator/Grendel barrel on an existing 6.5 Grendel rifle. I’ll use some of my existing 6.5 Grendel brass to make .224 Grendel brass. I have several different 6.5 Grendel magazines that I assume will work on the .224 Grendel. I’ll use the existing 6.5 Grendel bolt. The Grendel brass has more case capacity than the Valkyrie. From what I’ve read on forums from other .224 Grendel shooters, they’ve experienced about 100 fps more velocity than the Valkyrie on most bullet weights. It just seems to make more sense for me, it might not be the right choice for others.

I’ll still have my 12.5” and 18” 6.5 Grendel’s with great barrels (Ballistic Advantage & Shilen), I just had a 2nd 18” 6.5 Grendel rifle that has a so-so barrel.

Edit for clarity. My Grendel bolt is .136, as is the .224 barrel I purchased. Some .224 Grendel barrels are .124 bolts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Why did you go that way instead of the Valkyrie?
View Quote

More case capacity and with nosler can push them harder and faster then Valkyrie. Only 100-150 FPS faster but makes a difference at long range.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an update have been getting 3050-3100fps with the 77tmk have been wanting to try the 80gr Berger’s wondering if anyone has compared those to the 77gr tmk
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Getting 3,000 with a 77 TMK in my 20 inch 223 Ackley is working for me.

And fireformed LC brass is practically free compared to Lapua 6.5 grendel brass.
View Quote

I am using hornady 6.5 grendel brass. I went up to 3200 but groups opened up and was hard on the rims extracting. Lots of room to play with seating depth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top