Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 11:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rockwind1]
so i just shot 13 different types of ammo thru my "precision" AR15.

I had bought a case of fmgg 223 69 gr thinking it might be the stuff to beat.    wow, was i wrong.   i don't get it.

ES -112
SD-42
AVERAGE FPS-2571
5 shot group was a decent .90 moa (100 yds)

chrono is a labradar, i 've used it a lot

this is unacceptable, has any one else had this problem?  i recently came across a thread on the hide about some problems they had on their 6.5 fgmm, which i also have 200 rds of but have not tried it yet.

the poor ES is going to ruin any longer range accuracy.

group wise,    for me,  the fmgg was beat out by corbon 77, hornady tap 75, norma 77 with hornady match 75  and prime 77 gr barely missing the 1 moa mark.    corbon was .5 (nice stuff)

however, chrono-wise,   it is by far the biggest loser out of all 13 and half of test was with fairly crap ammo,   tula, xm193, green tip, AE walmart value pack,  wolf,  .

my rig is a aero m5e1 enhanced with a jp supermatch 16" barrel, lmt enhanced bcg, seekins adj gas block,  jp sc spring,  elftman match trigger, steiner 5-25 in a geiselle mount. prs stock.

shooting off a benchrest style setup with a rabbit ear rear bag.   on a concrete bench,   zero wind.  pretty rock solid.    previously i had been shootin prone with rear bag and atlas but the benchrest setup is better for checking ammo anyway.

surprising some no name ammo i had laying around in a baggie with a headstamp FC 08 which was running some approx 55 gr hollow points and ave fps of about 3115 shot surprising well at 1.2 moa.

might be some lake city stuff.

anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My semi 308 is the opposite....great numbers with gold medal (168 *AND* 175) but terrible accuracy.  1.5-2 MOA on a good day.  Handloads are slightly over MOA.

Rainier "match" barrel.  

Probably replacing it soon with a criterion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
If that isn't acceptable, I'd say you need to reset your expectations.

Look at the accuracy, not statistics.
View Quote
Disagree completely. Consistently in velocity is very important at distance.

His 112 fps ES will account for a 14” (more than 2 MOA) vertical dispersion in POI at 600 yards, a very reasonable distance for a precision AR. His accuracy is meaningless at distance because of the inconsistency in his velocity. And that’s before any wind effects.

Also the 69 SMK is not a particularly high BC bullet and mid 2500s is piss poor. The wind is really going to push that bullet around at distance.

Unless the only purpose of this gun is to shoot groups at 100 yards, that ammo is useless.

ETA: to answer the OP, I’ve had similar results with FGMM 69. I just moved on to something else.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ok,, thanks.    have you heard of any one else getting such bad numbers from fgmm 223 ammo,    i was going to try 77gr as well but now i am not.   that really was my big question, is this one bad lot of ammo or is it systemic?

obviously,   an ES of 112 is so far from being acceptable that if i hadn't just shot 12 other 5 shot groups with other ammo with my labradar, and getting fairly normal results with the other ammo,  i would be double checking  the fgmm.

in my bolt guns while handloading, i generally aim for an ES of under 20 and sd of less than 10.

i am not that picky with factory ammo for a semi auto but this is ridiculous.

i did mention the same thing you did about that ES number is going to ruin any long range accuracy, whether it is 69 gr or 77 gr.

i am not sure why some folks don't understand that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

His 112 fps ES will account for a 14” (more than 2 MOA) vertical dispersion in POI at 600 yards, a very reasonable distance for a precision AR. His accuracy is meaningless at distance because of the inconsistency in his velocity. And that’s before any wind effects.

Also the 69 SMK is not a particularly high BC bullet and mid 2500s is piss poor. The wind is really going to push that bullet around at distance.

Unless the only purpose of this gun is to shoot groups at 100 yards, that ammo is useless.

ETA: to answer the OP, I’ve had similar results with FGMM 69. I just moved on to something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
If that isn't acceptable, I'd say you need to reset your expectations.

Look at the accuracy, not statistics.

meant to quote this, see above
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#7]
.90" five shot group with Federal Gold Medal Match and you're disappointed.

Your velocities tell me you're shooting a carbine, probably 16" barrel. Is it a stainless steel match model?

Under 1" at 100 yards is very good and if it's from a rack grade rifle that's about as good as it gets. JP has a good reputation, but if you want to get the most from any rifle you need custom tuned handloads.

In the last 35 years of active participation in the shooting sports I have only had one chrome lined barrel that did better than 1 moa. Most SS barrels are under an inch with match bullets

SD/ES is totally irrelevant inside 200 yards. For self-defense it's irrelevant inside 500 yards. Your accuracy is already 3 to 4 times better than most surplus Lake City ball, that has to count for something.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
BTW - One of the most accurate short range .223 loads I use is 20.6 grains of H4198 with Sierra 52/53 Match King's.

ES are over 140 fps and it still stacks bullets into one ragged hole at 100 yards. I'm more concerned about on target reults at close range.

Small SD/ES is something to strive for with 600 yard and longer tournament ammo, provided it still shoots great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#10]
Have a friend with a custom Shilen barrelef bolt gun in .223 that shoots .223 77 grain FGMM into .5 MOA or less. I shot a .25" 3 shot group at 200 yards with that rifle and I was too big of a chicken to finish it before I took pics but it shot sub .5 MOA 5 shot 100 yard groups.

The .223 69 grain FGMM has always been a disappointment in almost every gun I have tried it in. It did not even always shoot sub MOA out of that custom bolt gun either. I have found guns that hate the 69 grain FGMM usually love the .223 77 grain FGMM. I say try a box of anything before you commit to a case of it. Then buy a case and test... if it shoots really well... buy 2 MORE cases before something changes at the ammo plant. Test a box from each case to ensure its as accurate as the first. That should set you up for the life of your barrel.

Your ES and SD is crazy high. For your AR, how slow are you shooting and are you shooting with shade? You need to load 5 shot groups, shoot slow like it is a bolt gun, and let the barrel cool, then another 5 shot group to get your 10 rounds for chrono testing. If the gun is sitting in the sun let it heat up and put a 5 round fouling group through. Also, I get velocity jumps if I leave my ammo out in the sun and start with my first group fresh from the car A/C in the shade, then let an open ammo box or loose rounds sit in the sun. Keep everything as temp stable as possible for initial testing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
ES and SD are odd on first look, how many rounds fired?  What does the brass look like? What was the average MV (just curious if itypushing the high end since you left that out)?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I purchased some of that CorBon 77 grain Performance Match .223 ammo at a gunshow recently.
Freakin ridiculous accuracy. 1/2 MOA group (8shots)at 300 yards. Easily the best group I’ve ever shot out of my Ruger Precison 5.56 bolt gun.
And I’ve shot all the good Hornady and Federal match stuff. Really impressed with CorBon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top