Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2017 9:58:41 PM EDT
i just started precision shooting.  to get the hang of things i bought a ruger american predator in 308. i ususally shoot of a harris bipod, and i am having a hell of a time controlling muzzle hop. it consistantly hops about 4 inches to the right. i have tried putting weight forward on the bipod, holding more loosely, different positions, even as far as pushing the bipod against something, to no avail. am i doing something wrong, gun just too light?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
One of these might be helpful...
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Get directly behind the rifle. If you're cocked off to one side the gun will hop. Just a small amount of forward pressure on the bipod is necessary. If you're not used to it it'll feel weird at first. Second, get to a natural point of aim. If you're muscling the gun it'll hop every time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be a old thread, but a muzzle break will help with felt recoil and muzzle jump. Sometimes they make a significant difference.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Get directly behind the rifle. If you're cocked off to one side the gun will hop. Just a small amount of forward pressure on the bipod is necessary. If you're not used to it it'll feel weird at first. Second, get to a natural point of aim. If you're muscling the gun it'll hop every time.
View Quote
I'm also new to the precision world and the above quote helped me out tremendously. Square your shoulders and find your natural point of aim, you should be able to hold this position for an extended period of time without felling fatigued. If your shoulder gets
tired quickly then you know your holding wrong. Also you should be able to hold the rifle with just your shoulder and move it around without loosing contact with your shoulder. Also shooting off a ruck/backpack vs a bipod is much better for stability. Also you should need a muzzle break on a .308 as a crutch. IMHO it's a good way to tell if your doing everything correctly or not and will pay off later should you move up to a larger caliber. To me it was a wake up of how bad/laxed my fundamentals have gotten from shooting 5.56/.223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top