Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 4:51:22 PM EDT
which scope for precision 22lr
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip the Vortex DB Tactical....I had one, and was very unimpressed.  Sold it and bought an Athlon Midas Tac.  I also have an Argos BTR on my B14R, love it.  

The Arken scopes look nice, but I've never seen one in person.  I'll grab one to try it out...when they are back in stock, eventually.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Skip Arken unless you don't plan to shoot until 2022.

Argos and The Midas Tac is a $700 scope so if going that high then look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25. Strike Eagle has a ton of elevation and nice features. Put it on a 40-50 MOA base and you can dial a .22 out past 500 yards.
View Quote

Athlon Argos BTR is $280-$370ish, depending on the model.  I paid $630 for my Midas Tac.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother has the vortex and I just got the arken.

The arken is a much nicer scope, but I waited 3 months for it.

I will say, the parallax on the arken only goes down to 25yds. But the glass is on par with the vortex of not better.

Both have some really wicked chromatic aberration that I hate, but what do you want for the price point. It won’t effect shooting out to 300yds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#6]
I have the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 with FFP EBR-2C MOA reticle.

I usually buy higher end scopes, but this was for precision .22LR, so I figured if glass was decent out to 300, that would be "good enough" for a .22LR precision bolt gun shooting subsonic match ammo at relatively moderate distances.  I was attracted to it because it's side-focus parallax went down to 10 yard and the FFP EBR-2C reticle, which is a good design for my intended use.

Out of the box it shot great out to 200 and resolution was still decent at 300 but starting to lose a bit.  Tracking is good.

But, after a few outings, the side focus started feeling difficult to move, and then it would no longer focus or adjust at all beyond about 25 yards.  It simply was no longer suitable.  Something failed in the side-focus.

I boxed it up, filled out the paperwork, and returned it to Vortex.  They replaced the scope.  Turn around time was about three weeks or so.  The turn around was reasonable.

So far, it is now performing as it should.  Fingers crossed.  I'm happy with it for now, but have lingering doubts about manufacturing quality.

I own a lot of scopes from many different companies from Zeiss Victory and Kahles down through several tiers of Leupold, Burris, Weaver, Nikon and others, accumulated over several decades.  This was my first Vortex and my first ever return of any scope for a manufacturing defect.  I have had 20-30 year old scopes need service on a couple occasions over the years.  One when a horse stumbled and threw me and scoped rifle (busted eyepiece)  another when an internal seal dried up in a 25 year old scope, but never a manufacturing defect, and certainly not in a new scope only a few weeks old.

Vortex is known for excellent customer service, and they met that reputation.  I'd rather own a scope that never had to go back than one that has to go back soon after purchase, no matter how good the customer service.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#8]
LOL it’s one of their cheapest scopes. Scopes in that price range, not just from Vortex, have more issues than higher priced optics. You can’t judge a whole company by one scope issue from their low end line.
View Quote

No lol.  I have a lot of budget scopes, too, not just pricey Kahles, Zeiss, Burris Black Diamond, and similar.  Even basic VX1 or VX2 Leupolds, never went back in decades.  Not even old Vari-X.  Never.  Not Burris, not even its budget friendly Fullfield.  Not Redfield, original US or import.  Not Weaver, neither Japanese nor older US El Paso.  Not Nikon Monarch or lesser Nikon Prostaff.  I could go on.

I realize this is a sample size of one, and the replacement is doing ok.  But, I put scopes in that price range on .22LR, on rifles used by my kids, or basic hunting rifles that I let friends borrow when hunting with me.  Honestly, I have personal experience with optics from $100 or so to $2000 and more.  If a company can't make a scope that is reliable at least in everyday common use, it ought not be brought to market.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#10]
Edited as it not worth the drama. LOL hope the new one works out to your expectations.
View Quote

No drama.  Just reporting facts and reasonable expectations.  Any major scope manufacturer ought to have all its lines able to at least withstand simple bench shooting without having its adjustments bind up.  

The replacement has not had time to be put to the much of test because of weather.  So good, so far.  I just wanted a usable adjustable parallax suitable for .22LR distances.  That's not a tall order.  I did not expect $1000+ glass.  It is good enough out to 300.  Tracking seems adequate for .22LR distances and trajectory.  This is not an optic that will see any hard use.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
I will say, the parallax on the arken only goes down to 25yds.
View Quote

IMO, this makes it a centerfire scope and a non-starter for rimfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top