Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 2:35:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet]
Alright,
So I sincerely hope this isn't too redundant, but I'm looking for scope recommendations...

The rifle:  Howa mini action in .223, will probably get barrel chopped to 16"
Range:  Currently no more than 200 yards (F-Maryland )
Budget:  I'd LIKE to keep it around $400, this is just a "fun" gun, so I don't want to spend too much.

So, given the above parameters I'm thinking a mid-magnification scope?  Something 3-15-ish?  I know I definitely want an illuminated reticle.  I currently have a PST Gen I 2.5-10x32 on my 18" .223 AR and a Bushnell Elite Tac on my 6.5 Grendel.  I like them both quite a bit, but another Vortex is over budget and the Bushnell is no longer made.

Also, used is not out of the question, so I'm keeping my eyes out for a PST 3-15.  So, are there any considerations I'm missing?  How are the Sig Tango 4 series?  Athlon?  Swampfox?  Sightron?  I had a SS 10x 20+ years ago and I liked it, but I want an illuminated reticle.  I'd also like to avoid 50mm and 56mm obj as well...
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#2]
If you can swing the cash I'd go with Rob01's deal.  That's a great price for a PST Gen 2.

If you are hard set on your budget, then the Vortex Diamondback Tactical is a good option: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020545544?pid=940396
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I was going to say the Diamondback Tactical too but it's not illuminated and he said he wants illumination. If that was a point he can drop then the DB Tactical is a good choice in that range.
View Quote

I missed that in his post... -1 for reading comprehension!

OP... another great option just barely over your price point is the Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 FFP optic with their mil hash reticle.  I have one on my .450 Bushmaster and it's been an excellent scope.  It is well built and glass quality lies somewhere in the middle being better than the Gen 1 Viper PST, but not quite as nice the Gen 2.  Turrets on it are really nice and clicky, and the illumination is fantastic on it as well.  It doesn't have a bunch of red haze or glare like a lot of optics tend to have.

Locked/Loaded has them for $432, but they are slow to ship.

If you don't want to wait for shipping Lanbos has them for like $15 more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Alright,
So I sincerely hope this isn't too redundant, but I'm looking for scope recommendations...

The rifle:  Howa mini action in .223, will probably get barrel chopped to 16"
Range:  Currently no more than 200 yards (F-Maryland )
Budget:  I'd LIKE to keep it around $400, this is just a "fun" gun, so I don't want to spend too much.

So, given the above parameters I'm thinking a mid-magnification scope?  Something 3-15-ish?  I know I definitely want an illuminated reticle.  I currently have a PST Gen I 2.5-10x32 on my 18" .223 AR and a Bushnell Elite Tac on my 6.5 Grendel.  I like them both quite a bit, but another Vortex is over budget and the Bushnell is no longer made.

Also, used is not out of the question, so I'm keeping my eyes out for a PST 3-15.  So, are there any considerations I'm missing?  How are the Sig Tango 4 series?  Athlon?  Swampfox?  Sightron?  I had a SS 10x 20+ years ago and I liked it, but I want an illuminated reticle.  I'd also like to avoid 50mm and 56mm obj as well...
View Quote

Of those, I only have experience with the Sigs, but I like them a lot for the $$.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The Sig Whiskey 5 any good?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I got that pst2 posted above. Amazing scope for the money. A little on the big/heavy side but if you can live with that I don't think you can do better at that price point. All my other scopes are Japanese LOW and the glass on the pst is pretty close. Turrets are nice and the illumination is really bright. Fov and eyebox are both superior to my razor lht imo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The Sig Whiskey 5 any good?
View Quote

Supposed to be very good, about = to the Tango6.

Just more of a hunting scope instead of tactical.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
If you can swing the cash I'd go with Rob01's deal.  That's a great price for a PST Gen 2.

If you are hard set on your budget, then the Vortex Diamondback Tactical is a good option: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020545544?pid=940396
View Quote

Yeah, I'm definitely considering Rob01's linked deal (and the Sightron).  I'm also toying with the possibility of getting a RT-6 or an Athlon Helos 1-10, putting that on my AR, and shifting the Vortex 2.5-10 I already have onto the Howa.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Eurooptic put some more Vortex on clearance.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Closeouts.aspx
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Vortex PST, Swampfox, or Arken are solid for the price range. They're all made in Asia (Swampfox and Arken in China, Vortex in the Phillipines) so they're low price for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it looks like I was too slow on the Vortex/Rob01 deal.  So....I'm still looking.  I'm kinda intrigued by the Helos BTR GEN2 2-12×42.  I'm hearing here that Arken is crap,  but reviews on SH are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll find far more positive reviews of the Arken than negative (in fact most of the negativity towards them on this board come from a pretty whiny article someone had written). The SH guys put LR optics through their paces and I tend to trust their expertise above others.

I never thought I'd be recommending something made in China, but it's very difficult to beat at the price point. The glass isn't spectacular (none are under $500) but the turrets are excellent compared to many expensive optics. Similarly priced alternatives are also made in China, or in the case of the PSTs, the Phillipines. My experience with the 4-16x has been stellar.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
If you check out the europtic link above they still have the pst2 3-15 for 600. If you scroll down those lht scopes should be Japanese made LOW scopes. No illumination but should have nice glass and are super lightweight. I want to pick up the 1.5-8 but already have more scopes than rifles. I have a gen2 lht and it's excellent so if those are similar they're a lot of scope for the $. I have the  pst2 also and it's really nice too but seems kinda big and heavy for a 223 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
If you check out the europtic link above they still have the pst2 3-15 for 600. If you scroll down those lht scopes should be Japanese made LOW scopes. No illumination but should have nice glass and are super lightweight. I want to pick up the 1.5-8 but already have more scopes than rifles. I have a gen2 lht and it's excellent so if those are similar they're a lot of scope for the $. I have the  pst2 also and it's really nice too but seems kinda big and heavy for a 223 bolt gun.
View Quote

You using the same link, cuz I'm not seeing it.  All I see is "product has been discontinued"
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#16]
The link posted by JohnCarter17 a couple posts up. Has several deals on vortex. Pst2 and lht 1.5-8  and 2-10. The pst2 3-15 for 599 is the one I have. The razor LH farther down should be Japanese made.

I'm not a bolt gun guy but I'd think the LH would be a better fit but lack the illumination. I like the looks of  reticle on the 1.5-8 for up close and the the drops should be good to 4-500 once you get them figured out for your load. Also I believe the LH are 1" tube if that matters. The 1.5-8 is 13.5 oz and with some light weight rings should make for a very handy rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah, gotcha.  Honestly, at the ranges I'm looking at I guess MRAD vs MOA won't make much of a difference anyway...
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#18]
Any thoughts on the Crimson Trace scopes?  Midway has a Hardline 3-12 for $345.  Also thinking about a Athlon Helos 2-12 and an Arken, but I'd really like to avoid Chinese scopes if possible....

I also see Euro Optic has the Gen I PST 2.5-10x32
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#19]
Any thoughts on the Crimson Trace scopes?  Midway has a Hardline 3-12 for $345.  Also thinking about a Athlon Helos 2-12 and an Arken, but I'd really like to avoid Chinese scopes if possible....

View Quote

I had a Crimson Trace 3-series.  It was a very nice scope.  Great glass, well made, and pretty solid illumination.  They're made in Japan by JOL.  I believe JOL makes the Brownells and Primary Arms Platinum series optics as well.  Only thing I didn't like about the CT3 was the turrets were a bit too easy to turn.  Other than that it was a great scope.  Nicer glass than the PS-T Gen 2, but not as nice as my Meopta Optika6 5-30x56.

I don't have any experience with the Hardline, but I know CT moved away from Japan for those scopes.  They're either made in the Philippines or a higher end Chinese OEM.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]

I had a Crimson Trace 3-series.  It was a very nice scope.  Great glass, well made, and pretty solid illumination.  They're made in Japan by JOL.  I believe JOL makes the Brownells and Primary Arms Platinum series optics as well.  Only thing I didn't like about the CT3 was the turrets were a bit too easy to turn.  Other than that it was a great scope.  Nicer glass than the PS-T Gen 2, but not as nice as my Meopta Optika6 5-30x56.

I don't have any experience with the Hardline, but I know CT moved away from Japan for those scopes.  They're either made in the Philippines or a higher end Chinese OEM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Didn't know that.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Ended up ordering a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP MRAD from Dvor for $289...couldn't pass it up at that price.  If it's not what I'm looking for, I'll just slap it on a .22 and keep shopping...
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Curious to hear your feedback on that scope. I was considering it but went with a PA SLX 3-18. Same features so I’m wondering how they compare.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#23]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
Curious to hear your feedback on that scope. I was considering it but went with a PA SLX 3-18. Same features so I’m wondering how they compare.
View Quote

I'm sure for my purposes, it will be MORE than enough.  I figure if it gets Rob and Ilya's stamp of approval...

Also, will the "regular" (non Pro) Vortex Tactical rings likely be "good enough"?  I don't know if the premium for the premium/matched series is really worth the extra cost...at least not for these set ups (Howa mini .223 and a Ruger American Ranch).  They're like $25/pair on Amazon.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top