Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
I am wondering who does the best nitriding work on barrels in the industry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a tough question as there is a lot of before and after depending on the project...

Nitride isn't even a specific term as there are numerous processes that functional do that same thing...all with varrying degrees of success in the gun world.

There are deep debates about nitriding certain types of barrels, certain steels, whether you can or can't with certain rifling designs, after X # of rounds, whether it will affect the heat treat of the steel, and on and on...

If you want to do a precision rifle barrel, the best POC is Dave Tooley.  He has done it successfully on precision rifles.  If it's for an AR...I wouldn't bother.  Either way, even the best precision rifle smiths have opined that it isn't usually worth it as it won't make the barrel more accurate and won't address the primary wear point on a precision rifle barrel, the throat, as it can't alter the melting point of the steel and fire checking is what kills the throat.

It will add corrosion resistance and make it resist cleaning rod damage...but that's not likely a problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
Lookup "Bamban nitriding". You might want to sign up for usrifleteams.com. (I hated having another forum account, but great resource)

Nez makes a few barrels for the TSRA service rifle teams and had several nitrided. I think one guy's nitrided Shilen is over 7,000rds with half the erosion of an untreated Krieger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nitriding is good for gas blocks, gas tubes, bolts and carriers.  Not good for barrels.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:
Nitriding is good for gas blocks, gas tubes, bolts and carriers.  Not good for barrels.
View Quote
More detail please.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Tech Nickel - Benton Harbor, MI does this kind of work. Jagerwerks uses them for Glock slides. I just sent three Lothar-Walther barrels to them for salt bath nitriding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Superior barrels had my vote, but they're out of business.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
GunBlack in New York does Nitriding and Black Oxide.  They do small batches.  Not sure about single items.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top