Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 5:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: byzantine]
Yesterday I opened a box of my White Feather 308 ammo that has been in an ammo can since I bought it new at Vendors Row at The National Matches. I was surprised to find that 16 rounds were horribly corroded. I pulled a bullet, and the gunpowder smelled acidic and seemed wet. I tried to get it out with a wire, but I doubt if one gram came out. The rest was stuck inside. There is some kind of chemical reaction taking place. I pulled a bullet from a "good" round, and that powder was damp, and also smelled. The inside of that box had TMC96 WF175-003. I have another box marked TMC96 WF175-001. That box looks good. I'm going to dispose of the rounds. Has anyone checked their WF ammo lately? Has anyone had a problem with their ammo becoming corroded? I'm really disappointed, however the box is still in great shape for display.  
https://imgur.com/q74VM8c
https://imgur.com/9YOmFcc
https://imgur.com/bscAog7
https://imgur.com/7yJJjCh
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By byzantine:
Yesterday I opened a box of my White Feather 308 ammo that has been in an ammo can since I bought it new at Vendors Row at The National Matches. I was surprised to find that 16 rounds were horribly corroded. I pulled a bullet, and the gunpowder smelled acidic and seemed wet. I tried to get it out with a wire, but I doubt if one gram came out. The rest was stuck inside. There is some kind of chemical reaction taking place. I pulled a bullet from a "good" round, and that powder was damp, and also smelled. The inside of that box had TMC96 WF175-003. I have another box marked TMC96 WF175-001. That box looks good. I'm going to dispose of the rounds. Has anyone checked their WF ammo lately? Has anyone had a problem with their ammo becoming corroded? I'm really disappointed, however the box is still in great shape for display. I wish I knew how to add pictures.  I think people would be shocked at how corroded this ammo is.
View Quote
1) Take a picture you want to post

2) U/L the photo to an image hosting service. (I like imgur dot com)

3) Copy the URL of the image on the host website.

4) In your post, place the cursor where you want to put the image.

5) Click the image icon above.

6) Paste the image URL into the dialogue box and then click "Submit".  This will put the link into your post

7) Then at the bottom of the reply window, click "Submit".

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help, Reorx!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By byzantine:
Thanks for the help, Reorx!
View Quote
Cheers!    Can't wait to see the pics...  
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#4]
Just noticed your edit on your first post...  but you didn't use the picture icon at the top of the window (blue highlight)...  Fixed >>>

P.S.:  WOW!  Never seen reactivity / corrosion like that!...
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for getting those pictures posted.  I tried for an hour to figure that out.  Maybe I'm getting to old to figure this techincal stuff figured out......
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By byzantine:
Thanks for getting those pictures posted.  I tried for an hour to figure that out.  Maybe I'm getting to old to figure this techincal stuff figured out......
View Quote
Yeah, I'm too old as well...  that's why I cheat!  I right click the image on imgur and in the pop-up box select "view image".  Once the image is the only thing on the screen, I copy the URL from the URL bar...  I then insert that - works every time!  
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Guaranteed to be Vihtavuori powder. This is known to happen. Not a good powder for long term storage. It will deteriorate after 15-20 years. Sealing primers and case mouth helps keep the chemical stabilizers from escaping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top