Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2022 5:13:39 PM EDT
What gas plug is the best choice for an M1 Garand that's just used for fun shooting? If I'm precision shooting I'll just load to M2 Ball pressures but I will probably use commercial loads in my plinker for availability reasons.
Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a Garand Gear ported plug. you may form your own opinion HERE
It did work well for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The correct answer is  …..  Schuster Mfg.’s adjustable gas plug.

It’s what all the M1 Pros-in-the-Know use.

https://www.schustermfg.com/m1-garand-adjustable-gas-plug/
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
The correct answer is  …..  Schuster Mfg.’s adjustable gas plug.

It’s what all the M1 Pros-in-the-Know use.

View Quote

Absolutely cannot go wrong with a Schuster plug!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
What gas plug is the best choice for an M1 Garand that's just used for fun shooting? If I'm precision shooting I'll just load to M2 Ball pressures but I will probably use commercial loads in my plinker for availability reasons.
Thanks in advance!!
View Quote

OE plug.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tet493] [#5]
Got a Schuster, it didn’t quite lock like my M1A plug. It was too loose, so when I tightened the locking set screw, it would turn the main screw, not good. I got a Grand Gear plug to try. KISS?
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a gas lock screw. Save the plugs for fishing, chewing tobacco or your oil pan.

I wouldn’t change it. Most cheap commercial ammo is anemic compared to the M2 and AP ammo that was ran through M1’s. If you are still worried about it, surplus M2 is still available and typically cheaper than commercial ammo.

The best option is invest in reloading. Light bullets not only are easier on the shooter, it is easier on the rifle. And they’re just as accurate out to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Recently tried a Schuster on the Garand, but I just returned it. The screws are too loose to be secure. Garand Gear plug worked while remaining simple.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
So could you not simply bore out a standard plug and it work the same as the Garand gear plug? I'm just getting into M1 rifles and have been curious about that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:41:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pepe-lepew] [#9]
Originally Posted By 74SHARPS:
So could you not simply bore out a standard plug and it work the same as the Garand gear plug? I'm just getting into M1 rifles and have been curious about that.
View Quote

USGI solid stainless gas screws are collector parts and worth $50 in good shape. There is cheap steel replacements you could easily drill but will be very limited in cavity depth because the depth of the slot if mimicking the Garand Gear screw. If just venting you can drill a hole. If really machine tool savy you could just build an adjustable.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
There's nothing wrong with the factory gas cylinder lock screw (what you're calling a gas plug). What is infinitely more important is to make sure the rifle is greased (not oiled) at all the proper places. Running an M1 "dry" will cause more wear and damage than what ammo you run through it. I'vd been shooting the M1 rifle for over 40 years and have never found it necessary to use any thing but the factory parts.
Don't listen to the armchair "experts".
Grease it, load it, and have fun.
Jon
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
An M1 doesn't have a gas "plug", so none is my answer. An M1 has a "gas cylinder lock screw". In 45 years of shooting the M1 rifle, I've only ever used the stock screw. Spend more time making sure the rifle is properly greased (NOT oiled), and not as much time stressing over the ammo.
This is another prime example of arm chair ''experts'' perpetuating untruths and falsehoods.
Jon
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hoser:

Good luck to you.

View Quote

No "LUCK" involved. I KNOW what I"m doing when it comes to the M1 rifle. I've rolled my own for 45 years, give or take.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Set it and forget it is the Schuster.

You have to tune it but afterwards, it runs like a champ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top