Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2018 8:37:01 PM EDT
I just started last year shot about half dozen matches and have all the basic stuff.

I have a sub MOA rifle, Mil/Mil scope, Harris swivel bipod, a couple bags, enough reloading stuff with beam scale and Chrony F1.

Wondering what you guys that have been in it a while would help me most?  Besides practice of course but I am shooting about as much as time will allow.

I'm thinking Kestrel but a nice set of Swaro Binos would be sweet and I could use them for other things.

Kicked around a nice scope (Current works fine a Bushnell DMR) not sure it would improve my scores.

Super-duper powder dispenser?

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Take class from a PRO.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#2]
Have you asked the guys that beat you in competition?  Their advice is worth more than most of us if I had to guess
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Take class from a PRO.
View Quote
That's a good idea.  Actually hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By owlless:

View Quote
Call Shannon or Jason at K&M in Finger Tn. Real deal. They do group classes and one on one. Some of the best shooters on the planet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Call Shannon or Jason at K&M in Finger Tn. Real deal. They do group classes and one on one. Some of the best shooters on the planet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This, for sure. You just missed a class up in MI that Jake Vibbert put on, that would've been a good one too. In Ohio, I think Ryan Brandt has put on a few one day classes but if you can swing a couple day class at K&M, it's the best in your area.

As far as other gear... a tripod, if you don't have one yet. 90% of the time it just holds up my binos for spotting, but they come in handy on stages too.

Swaro binos are really nice, but if you don't want to drop $2k, look for a used pair of Vortex 15x Kaibabs and put them on an Outdoorsman's tripod mount. We had my Kaibab's next to a set of Swaro's down at K&M for the Grind. The Swaro's are nicer for sure, but they're not $1000 better. 15x binos seems to be the sweet spot for spotting for this game. Spotting scopes restrict your field of view too much, and 10x binos just aren't enough for the long stages.

Other than that... definitely a Gamechanger if you don't have one yet. I prefer the OG to the new pint sized, but lots of guys are getting away with the smaller one.

If your rifle doesn't have an Arca rail on the bottom, look into that too. Being able to slide your bipod anywhere on your rifle in about 2 seconds is a huge advantage. Being able to mount it to a tripod is a bonus. I'm running the Arcalock system from Area419 and it's legit. I've only used the barricade stop a few times (only had it for 2 matches), but when it works, it's fantastic.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm no top level pro, but I hold my own in PRS matches. Always happy to help out someone joining the party!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to make your practice matter more. Too many guys mount a barricade and send shot after shot from the same position at the same target. It’s rare in matches that you’ll send more than 1 or 2 rounds at the same target from the same position in a row. As Rob mentioned, get yourself a shot timer and make up stages. Time yourself to check continual progress and if you can, run the stage against your buddies for some competitive feel.

A Kestrel will be of far more value than Swaro Binos. I ran Redfield 10x binos (<$150) for a year and they are plenty clear enough to spot with. I have Swaro’s now but wouldn’t hesitate to go back to Redfield if needed.

Tripod to mount your binos is great to watch other shooters,see where the impacts are on the target and in the surrounding dirt from previous shooters. This is free information when you walk up to a stage.

A bag or 2 that can do multiple things. I carry a solo-sac and a wax canvas game changer. It’s a little extra weight but has been a multiple match winning combination for me.

Continue to ask questions. Plenty of solid shooters in here to help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:32:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: owlless] [#8]
Thanks for the feedback!  Practice is sparse.  I planned to shoot the Wednesday night matches at southington hunt club this summer but work and other things...

My plan is dry fire and use my .22 at indoor range this winter.  Hopefully I can make some sort of barricade they will accept.  Good trigger time can’t hurt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Outside of the practice mentioned, gear wise a game changer and a kestral is definitely a big help. I just got an elite 5700 and am learning to use it now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#11]
There are a ton of places you can spend your money, not not that much stuff that I personally think is critical.  I'm guilty of buying gadgets , but there are a couple things I carry that I find critical.  I love my Wax Canvas OG game changer, and would give up a lot before I gave u my Kestrel.  Stuff like Tripods and Bino's are nice but they aren't nearly as critical to me.  I use a game changer on pretty much every stage I ever shoot and often times it is the only bag I will use for an entire match.

Classes with good instruction are also hard to beat.

There will be a slew of matches in OH next year and that is the only way to get the on the clock experience.  Matt at SHC will be having plenty as will Rayners.

kind of funny how many people in this thread I know personally.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
There are a ton of places you can spend your money, not not that much stuff that I personally think is critical.  I'm guilty of buying gadgets , but there are a couple things I carry that I find critical.  I love my Wax Canvas OG game changer, and would give up a lot before I gave u my Kestrel.  Stuff like Tripods and Bino's are nice but they aren't nearly as critical to me.  I use a game changer on pretty much every stage I ever shoot and often times it is the only bag I will use for an entire match.

There will be a slew of matches in OH next year and that is the only way to get the on the clock experience.  Matt at SHC will be having plenty as will Rayners.

View Quote
You shot with owelless (and me), until your rifle almost blew up, at the club finally at TVP.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
You shot with owelless (and me), until your rifle almost blew up, at the club finally at TVP.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The action was destroyed from that.  Total freak accident what happened, but was glad to know it wasnt a reloading mistake.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Then you shot with me too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
RCBS Chargemaster helps alot if you are doing varied load development
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]

The action was destroyed from that.  Total freak accident what happened, but was glad to know it wasnt a reloading mistake.
View Quote
I remember that.  Can you say what happened?  Is it something to look out for?  Definitely information that is in keeping with the theme of the thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]

I remember that.  Can you say what happened?  Is it something to look out for?  Definitely information that is in keeping with the theme of the thread.
View Quote
Total freak accident.  There was a very small ring of brass that remained in the chamber that caused a huge pressure spiked.  Not something that was preventable, or that I've ever seen it heard of happening other than that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
RCBS Chargemaster helps alot if you are doing varied load development
View Quote
Yep.  An automatic powder thrower has really helped me out.  I consider it one of the better reloading purchases I've made.

I use a Lyman and then double check the load on a Gempro 250.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe no one has said rain gear yet  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't believe no one has said rain gear yet  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57471/Capture_JPG-745366.JPG
View Quote
What’s worse, rain or showers?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Whatever your rifle is, make sure you get an ARCA rail system for it.  You then need to upgrade your Harris bipod's attachment point to allow for the ARCA attachment.  A tripod with a quality head (ARCA attachment there as well) are excellent places to start.

On a side note, I see you're running a Chrony.  I'd get away from that as far as chronographs go.  There are just much better options now, even if you just go with the basic Magnetospeed.  That is light years better than the traditional chronographs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FALex:
Whatever your rifle is, make sure you get an ARCA rail system for it.  You then need to upgrade your Harris bipod's attachment point to allow for the ARCA attachment.  A tripod with a quality head (ARCA attachment there as well) are excellent places to start.

On a side note, I see you're running a Chrony.  I'd get away from that as far as chronographs go.  There are just much better options now, even if you just go with the basic Magnetospeed.  That is light years better than the traditional chronographs.
View Quote
I probably won't jump on any fancy rail stuff until I upgrade from the factory stock.

I do agree with the Chrony advice.  It has served me well and I have used the velocity it's given for good first round hits to 1200 yards.   But, it is a pain to set up, a little finicky and misses a shot now and then.

I think best bang for the buck will be to build some props to practice dry firing in the basement, work on my reloading consistency and get a get a Kestrel.  (and maybe a new S&B scope! )
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#24]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Money spent in better places than all that ARCA stuff. It's not needed but can be helpful at times. Having shot next to people with full ARCA set ups I found I wasn't at any disadvantage without it.
View Quote
The argument can be made that nothing is needed, per se, but OP asked what could be helpful in PRS. You may not have been disadvantaged at all, but did you do as well as you could have?  That answer is relative to only those whom you shoot with and against. Why would you not want an all-encompassing point of attachment system?  Is there a better system to mount a rifle on a tripod?  I believe the tripod attachment and having the ability to rapidly slide your bipod to be just forward of your magwell are both worth the price of admission.  That being said, bags are starting to have ARCA clamps, barricade stabilization systems are becoming more prominent, and I'm sure the development has only begun.

You will never know how much of a disadvantage you've had until you've had the ARCA advantage.

I stand by my rec OP.  I seriously think you should ARCA all the things.  However, most importantly, just go out and shoot some matches.  You'll see what you need.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#26]
In terms of getting better, as most have said taking a class or more practice is probably the best thing to look into.  But if you're looking for gear to add...have you ever tried a pair of image-stabilized binos?  Most folks are in shock at how helpful they are when they first look through a pair.  The ones I've used the most are made by Canon.  They are also great for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
In terms of getting better, as most have said taking a class or more practice is probably the best thing to look into.  But if you're looking for gear to add...have you ever tried a pair of image-stabilized binos?  Most folks are in shock at how helpful they are when they first look through a pair.  The ones I've used the most are made by Canon.  They are also great for hunting.
View Quote
Used them on fishing boats looking for kelp.  They are very nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top