Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2017 4:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78]
I've got an old DPMS SASS sitting in the safe that's ready to be reborn in 6.5 Creedmoor.   It's lived a neglected lonely life in the far dark corner of the safe after being rebarreled with a Compass Lake finished 308 barrel that never lived up to its $500 price tag or could even run with the factory barrel.  So I moved on to .260 Remington.

I've scoured Arfcom and the MOA all day threads looking for a site consensus on the most accurate 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to no avail.

Parameters.
Will be shot mostly with direct thread suppressor.  It will have adjustable gas.
140grn + pills.
Would prefer hbar but would consider bigger for increased accuracy.
Pretty much settled on 20" but would entertain reasons for 18 or 22.
How much difference does the +2" gas make?
Price range $400-500.

If I can pull the extra $400 together before I'm ready to order, I'll be getting the Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel or a Krieger.

So far the list of manufacturers and series are.

Faxon Match  Have great site support and people recommend them but rarely have I seen people post their groups.
BA Premium  People seem to like these and post good groups.  I found them on sale for $209. I'll probably end up with a .308 one of these to play with on a PA10
Shilen Select   I've never seen a bad shilen barrel. Don't see a 20" though  
Odin Works
Proof Research Stainless.
Criterion
Rainer match

Please post your experiences and groups with your 6.5 CM.  I'll update it with what I buy and post groups.   May take a while though

Edit**  the place that had the BA for 30% off had an additional 10% off for 6.5 creedmoor blowout and free shipping. So there's a premium 20" heavy barrel on its way for a whole $184 shipped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
I've got an old DPMS SASS sitting in the safe that's ready to be reborn in 6.5 Creedmoor.   It's lived a neglected lonely life in the far dark corner of the safe after being rebarreled with a Compass Lake finished 308 barrel that never lived up to its $500 price tag or could even run with the factory barrel.  So I moved on to .260 Remington.

I've scoured Arfcom and the MOA all day threads looking for a site consensus on the most accurate 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to no avail.

Parameters.
Will be shot mostly with direct thread suppressor.  It will have adjustable gas.
140grn + pills.
Would prefer hbar but would consider bigger for increased accuracy.
Pretty much settled on 20" but would entertain reasons for 18 or 22.
How much difference does the +2" gas make?
Price range $400-500.

If I can pull the extra $400 together before I'm ready to order, I'll be getting the Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel or a Krieger.

So far the list of manufacturers and series are.

Faxon Match  Have great site support and people recommend them but rarely have I seen people post their groups.
BA Premium  People seem to like these and post good groups.  I found them on sale for $209. I'll probably end up with a .308 one of these to play with on a PA10
Shilen Select   I've never seen a bad shilen barrel. Don't see a 20" though  
Odin Works
Proof Research Stainless.
Criterion
Rainer match

Please post your experiences and groups with your 6.5 CM.  I'll update it with what I buy and post groups.   May take a while though

Edit**  the place that had the BA for 30% off had an additional 10% off for 6.5 creedmoor blowout and free shipping. So there's a premium 20" heavy barrel on its way for a whole $184 shipped.
View Quote
Primary Arms had a sale two weeks ago on the Ballistic Advantage. I picked up the heavy barrel (24" SS ) in 6.5 with free shipping for $199. It will go on a retrofitted Armalite AR10 with an Aero BCG this Spring. I also have blanks from Green Mountain and X-Caliber. Hopefully I can do a comparison. For the money, it was a good buy. If price was not an issue, I'd try Krieger and Criterion with Krieger being my first choice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A good accurate AR-10/large frame AR barrel is as much about the quality of the barrel as it is the guy doing the chambering and fitting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jfk:

Primary Arms had a sale two weeks ago on the Ballistic Advantage. I picked up the heavy barrel (24" SS ) in 6.5 with free shipping for $199. It will go on a retrofitted Armalite AR10 with an Aero BCG this Spring. I also have blanks from Green Mountain and X-Caliber. Hopefully I can do a comparison. For the money, it was a good buy. If price was not an issue, I'd try Krieger and Criterion with Krieger being my first choice.
View Quote
Yeah, I couldn't pass it up for the price. If theyd had the 308 i was looking for i wouldnt of ordered the 6.5.  It'll give me something to play with while I get the dies ordered.

Post your results!
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 5:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy] [#4]
I'm happy with mine. So far have really only tried out the 140 SMK's. They have a really deep ogive compared to a lot of the other offerings. Have 140 eldm's, Berger 140 long range and SMK 142's all loaded up to try next week.

Ocw testing

Includes cold bore/first round of the day shot

All rounds on left side were me dialing in a new 30 MOA mount. The right side was .51 moa (red circle) and .37 MOA but that one didn't really count because 3 and all

Dt can
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the proof barrel.  It will shoot .2's and .3's.  Sometimes .1's Its great.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a stainless one or a cf wrapped?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
CF.  I hear the stainless shoots identically.  I wish pics were easy here and I would post some.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
In a gas gun I would lean towards 123 or 130gn bullets.  I tried 142s and they just used up too much space in the case that I could have used for powder.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The 142 get sat in the case more shallow than 140's. Also you can run ASC mags and get roughly .045" more length. They work flawless.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
What's your OAL with which bullet?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy] [#11]
What's your OAL with which bullet?
View Quote
With 140SMK their about 2.760 COAL due to the long OGIVE on them.
SMK 142's = 2.840 COAL with perfect feeding
Berger 140's = 2.844 COAL, they have a very short OGIVE
ELD-M 140"s = 2.844 COAL with an OGIVE somewhere between the Bergers and SMK 142

So I went out and tried new loads with new bullets to see how they shot. This is what I came up with.

Some of the data

Really liking the SMK142's. .63MOA counting the flyer

.22 MOA if I don't count the flyer. I'd probably stick with this charge which yielded 2570FPS average. SD of 4 so pretty dang good.

Berger 140's weren't too hot for me. I think it's due to their jump.

I was feeling the ELD-M's. These might be worth taking another look at. .47MOA and I think that other group above it was a little better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jfk:
View Quote
Tag for the follow up.  Interested in your findings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the ba premium 20" 6.5 trued and glued yesterday. Polished up all the bits and pieces.  Ordered dies today. Might be ready for a range report in a couple weeks.

When ba says heavy profile they aren't kidding. This thing is a pound heavier compared to the old hbar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
First group with the 20" BA premium. Things went down hill after this. I'm blaming that on loose rings but we'll see.   Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#16]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I am not sure yet... but the 6.5 seems to foul ( powder wise ) more then the .308 does.

So while it should go without saying,
Be sure to give it a good cleaning....prior to more groups.
View Quote
I noticed that it seemed very dirty. The first 3 inches were tight getting a patch through.  Cleaned it well. Also noticed that the brake had come loose.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
A loose brake will screw things up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been working on load development and fighting the barrel.  This weekend I figured out that the throat area fouls very quickly. Groups start at 1/2" or smaller and the 6th group are pushing 3".  When cleaned, the throat is very tight until it gets clean.  Also velocity continually increases as more rounds are fired.
First group.
Attachment Attached File

6th
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
The BA 22” has impressed me.

15 in just a few minutes the other week. Bipod, rear squeeze bag...pulled some shots due to brass rolling up against my arm (hate benches!!!), but still decent by most standards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn. I said I would never own a semi 6.5 Creedmoor. This thread may just change my mind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have my old posts here somewhere from My Rainier Arms 6.5 CM. Had a 22 inch fluted Rainier ultra Match barrel easily sub moa.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
No pictures but I have a 24 inch X Caliber that can put five in a very tight hole.   I use 130 Berger Hybrid bullets and IMR 4451.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#27]
@SuperJLarge... I lay a old towel on the bench by my trigger forearm.. semi messily so the brass can't roll into my arm.

And I hang an old baseball cap off of the scope top turret to help "funnel" the brass onto the towel.... be advised.. the inside of the BB cap will get thrashed with expelling gases from the ejection port. That BB cap and towel remains in the shooting rest bag .... with all the associated goodies for shooting off the bench..

It sure helps cut down on the brass chasing...

Works great after it is sighted in and the turrets are GTG.
View Quote
Yeah. I’ve used the ball cap trick before, but I didn’t plan my trip very well on that day. A poster on SH didn’t believe that a sub moa 10 shot group could be fired at will from a large frame gasser. I think his wording was “Not, I did it once before, but rather, I’ll do it right now”, so I headed to the range. I’d forgotten that the range has plexiglass partitions, so the empty cases were coming back at me. I’ve got a few interesting scars in the shape of cartridges on my arm from that day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Also... you might check to see if there is a burr at the gas port hole ... on the inside.

My new BA / DSG Arms 22" 6.5CM barrel had a heck of a one.
View Quote
Bfoosh,  Do you just feel the gas port burr? with a cleaning rod?  How'd you fix it?

I really believe the issue is in the throat/lead area.  The velocity jumps noticeably every round of a group.  Also there is a member here with a crazy nice bore scope that had a post comparing BA, larue, and Krieger throats and the BA was terrible.

When cleaning, you can barely get the patch started in that throat area and after a while you can tell a big difference.  I know I can feel the gas port when running a patch through it but can't tell if the resistance changes as I clean.

Both times I've taken it out with a clean bore the first group was sub 1/2", the second opens to 3/4ish", and it continues to go downhill like that till it's shooting 3-4".  I've brought it out cold with a dirty bore and the groups still suck so I know it's not a thermal issue.

My dumbass has been smashing my head into the shooting bench while doing load development questioning my bullets, brass, powder, and shooting ability.  I loaded a batch of one load last night.  I'll stick to shooting those untill this barrel starts shooting consistantly before I do anymore load development.

This barrel may be a candidate for a fire lapping kit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:15:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:24:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#31]
20 inch LMT MWS shooting 130gr American Gunner. Nice little clover with a flyer,  might have 30 rounds through it but i really like the way it performs right out of the box.  Will do some load development for it once i get back into the country but for now, i am totally happy with the American gunner

if your looking for a barrel its hard to go wrong with Bartlien and Krieger, they are a little pricey and heavy but they are Very Consistent. as noticed in thread there are alot of good barrels out there,  I would have no picking up one of the cheaper SS barrels to give a try.

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#32]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice,

Appreciate it, while i gennerally perfer an AMAX/ELD-X bullet,  I was really impressed by how the American Gunner shot

how has the hornady Brass been holding up for those that have reloaded it
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#34]
bfoosh, The barrels got something like 150 rounds through it now. I've attacked it 3 times now with my 17 year old tub of jb bore paste.  If the throat/lead is abnormally rough (which apparently it is) or heaven forbid has a deep machining mark, the JB is too mild to be of much help.  JB is great for assisting in break in and cleaning but we're way past that.  Could the barrel come around with a strict shooting and cleaning regimen? Maybe, but how many 100s of rounds and hours of cleaning will it take? The answer is more than I'm willing to wager.

I'd check the small stuff if I was having flyers or inconsistant group sizes. Not the linear progression I'm seeing.  It goes from 1/2" groups to softball sized shotgun patterns in around 40 rounds.  I'd bet you a dollar that the next group out of it after I cleaned it is back to 1/2".

It's difficult to find someone that's ruined a barrel with fire lapping but you can find lots of competitive shooters that talk about how it's helped.

The barrel wants to shoot and shows amazing potential.  If it didn't, it would go back to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Either have someone local check it out, or contact BA and see if you should pull it and send it in for inspection.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I would wager there's a dimensional issue with the bore.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#38]
It could be a problem with the bore but I've never seen a rifle shoot such small groups with a bad barrel. The bad groups aren't just a couple fliers. All 5 rounds migrate away from each other in such a linear progression.

The reason I dont believe its thermal is that between shooting groups, I've put the rifle in the basement, went and ate lunch and came back to shoot more groups and the group size didn't change.  I also took it to the range without cleaning once and the groups started out bad and stayed bad.

The progression of group size getting bigger and number of rounds since a clean bore are almost identical in the two incidents.

The mistake I made was not doing a break in procedure and going straight to load development.  I should of stuck to one load and cleaning routine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#39]

The mistake I made was not doing a break in procedure and going straight to load development.  I should of stuck to one load and cleaning routine.
View Quote
That's really unnecessary with a good barrel.

Some barrels just hate to be dirty. But send it back if you're not satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

That's really unnecessary with a good barrel.
View Quote
That's what I thought.  I got too excited playing with a new caliber and redeeming an old rifle that had been a disappointment. Which I found out when I went to true the receiver, there was a burr on the face at the locating notch that took a file to fix before it would lap in.

I picked up 1500 pieces of brass, some dies, and had piles of primers, bullets, and powder laying around from the current long range .260.

The rifle runs very well. Brass ejects consistently without dents or scratches.  The new small firing pin bolt has perfect concentric wear on the lugs. I added an adjustable SA GB, tungston weights, and a flat heavy recoil spring.

I got the Final Finish bullets last week and worked up an abbreviated sequence of 20 rounds to run through it with a cleaning between each to give the bullets fresh steel to work on.  If that fails to work I'll back it down to the more aggressive bullets and do a second run on it.
About 20 years ago I ran a full 50 round Final finish kit through a NIB Savage police rifle. You could feel the difference in the smoothness of the barrel every time you cleaned it. It felt like a hand lapped premium barrel when it was over and I don't think I had to clean it again before I sold a couple years later.

This barrel will turn a corner eventually where the velocity is more consistent and it doesn't foul out as quickly.  I just hope it's still accurate when it does.  I'll keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
If you go with Odin Works, use my coupon code AP2020 to get 10% off your entire order.

They just got in their 22" 6.5Creedmoor barrels with the +2" XL gas system.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#43]
No groups to post, but I cleaned the PRS barricade skills stage in 64 seconds at match this weekend. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#44]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
A loose brake will screw things up.
View Quote
It definitely will. I once assembled a new build and was shooting it suppressed. Started out fine, after a bit groups opened up to several times larger. Got frustrated, went to pack home and when unscrewing the suppressor noticed the brake had came loose (I poorly applied the rocksett) and the QD suppressor was now a direct thread.

Once everything has been set back up, it shot just as good as it had been. Loose brakes will fuck up precision.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I only have 1 6.5C AR, on the right.   Wilson Recon Tactical 18".

And I really hope I can keep groups like this up.

And stretch the distance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top