Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 12:19:20 PM EDT
I've got a Remington SA 700 .308 26" barrel that I'm trying to sell. It's been a few days, and I haven't really gotten any real interest in it as of right now. It's a great shooter, but I'm building something else, and this is a part of the collection that I feel like I can part with. Below is what I'm selling. I was asking $1k shipped for the entire package.

Magpul FDE Hunter Stock
Magpul Magwell
4 - 10rd Magpul Mags
2 - 5rd Magpul Mags
Talley 30mm 20 MOA Rings
Timney Calvin Elite 2 Stage Trigger
Harris BRM 6"-9" Bipod

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe $650

You're going to lose money on the bipod and the rings selling it all together.  

Take them off and keep them for later projects, or sell individually.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Going by GB and today’s market you should be able to sell that for $1k without much difficulty
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Going by GB and today’s market you should be able to sell that for $1k without much difficulty
View Quote

Here's the issue I'm running into with this. I've been told that I'm probably not asking too much for it, at a same time I'm being told it's worth 60% of the asking price. I'm willing to break it up and sell it all separate, that's not a problem for me. It is what it is when it comes to the value of something, and it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I purely asking for unbiased advice on selling it, so I appreciate the responses that I get, they're mostly helpful. I'm definitely not trying to come off as a gouger, I'm just looking to sell something I don't need right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#4]
Originally Posted By 98Zixxer:

Here's the issue I'm running into with this. I've been told that I'm probably not asking too much for it, at a same time I'm being told it's worth 60% of the asking price. I'm willing to break it up and sell it all separate, that's not a problem for me. It is what it is when it comes to the value of something, and it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I purely asking for unbiased advice on selling it, so I appreciate the responses that I get, they're mostly helpful. I'm definitely not trying to come off as a gouger, I'm just looking to sell something I don't need right now.
View Quote

Yeah I understand.  If you list it for what the other poster recommended, I’d seriously be surprised if it longer than a day to sell.  IMO you’d still seek it at $1k, but it might take a couple days...

I often search GB’s “completed” auctions to get an idea of what something will sell for...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Yeah I understand.  If you list it for what the other poster recommended, I’d seriously be surprised if it longer than a day to sell.  IMO you’d still seek it at $1k, but it might take a couple days...

I often search GB’s “completed” auctions to get an idea of what something will sell for...
View Quote

I did some glancing through GB, and thought about selling it there, but was trying to avoid the sellers fees there. From what I ran across, I was seeing around there for what people had been paying, but since I wasn't seeing exactly what I have, the comps are a little more tough to get.

I really appreciate the info
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
$1000 shipped isn't a bad asking price for that set up. Calvin Elite trigger is a great upgrade and between all the mags, stock etc you should easily get $850-900 after some haggling.

Where do you have it listed?
View Quote

Here and SnipersHide

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-USED-Remington-700-308-with-26-Barrel-and-Magpul-Hunter-Stock/93-2108670/
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think your price is reasonable.

I suspect part of the problem right now is lots of folks are concentrating on acquiring ammo and reloading supplies more than trying to acquire a run of the mill firearm.

I'd be patient and hold on the price a while.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
When I don't know what something is worth I either list is and work the price down every bump, or post on gunborker as a penny auction. I've done the latter and never lost out, people seem to like bidding wars.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:04:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumpy5] [#10]
So theres my thoughts on your rifle. You have a few things going for you and some going against you.

First off its a 308. Right now that is a big negative for you. Everyone wants a 6.5 CM. Also to go along with that, at least around me, any military caliber is super hard to find right now. Another thing is the 26 inch barrel, long barrels aren't in vogue.

Second, most people I know who are buying guns are looking for semi autos as bolt guns are on a potential ban list.

Third, you have personalized it. While you may like what you have done some one else may not so they will have to factor in what it will cost to change it to what they want. By changing things up on the rifle, you narrow your audiance.

As for your asking price, I think you are high. I usually place a used Remington 700 about $500. Then add: Timney trigger $100. Talley rings $50 (I do like them, have 5 rifle with them). Bipod $75. The mags $50-$75, not sure what they cost new. To put it in perspective, this past summer I bought a Remington 700 LTR for $500 off of Gunbroker.

If you have the factory parts still that May help some one commit to buying it. Also adding some ammo maybe a big help too.

Good luck with it. Again its just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Grumpy5:
So theres my thoughts on your rifle. You have a few things going for you and some going against you.

First off its a 308. Right now that is a big negative for you. Everyone wants a 6.5 CM. Also to go along with that, at least around me, any military caliber is super hard to find right now. Another thing is the 26 inch barrel, long barrels aren't in vogue.

Second, most people I know who are buying guns are looking for semi autos as bolt guns are on a potential ban list.

Third, you have personalized it. While you may like what you have done some one else may not so they will have to factor in what it will cost to change it to what they want. By changing things up on the rifle, you narrow your audiance.

As for your asking price, I think you are high. I usually place a used Remington 700 about $500. Then add: Timney trigger $100. Talley rings $50 (I do like them, have 5 rifle with them). Bipod $75. The mags $50-$75, not sure what they cost new. To put it in perspective, this past summer I bought a Remington 700 LTR for $500 off of Gunbroker.

If you have the factory parts still that May help some one commit to buying it. Also adding some ammo maybe a big help too.

Good luck with it. Again its just my opinion.
View Quote

I appreciate the input. I still have the factory stuff, and probably will wind up breaking it all up, and selling everything apart. I generally keep the factory stuff when I take them off for newer parts.

I'm doing that exact thing myself actually, getting a semi-auto rifle that at some point I'd probably regret not getting in the coming future. This one is one of the expendables for me to help pay for it the new one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Guns are like cars, mods don't add to the value. If anything you end up including them for free.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I got into my 308 with the 26" barrel for around 500 because nobody wanted the 26.

You've got several bonuses going for you, if you had some ammo to throw in at $1000 you might get more takers.  Not crazy amounts of ammo, maybe 3-5 boxes.  Something where the new owner doesn't have to stress about finding ammo at $50 a box.

Nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#15]
six fiddy. mods don't add value.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Guns are like cars, mods don't add to the value. If anything you end up including them for free.
View Quote

Quality mods add value, both with vehicles and guns...You won't get dollar for dollar, but yes mods add value..easy way to prove it, take any old standard rem700, send it off and have the action squared and a quality barrel installed and chambered by a top smith and the rifle will sell every time for more money then a used bone stock rifle.. Same as if it went from a factory  plastic stock to the same rifle being sold with a top off the line manners stock with all the bells and whistles..
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
To put it in perspective, this past summer I bought a Remington 700 LTR for $500 off of Gunbroker.
View Quote

...and I turned down 1k boxes of primers for $35/ea because I thought they were "too high".  I'm not sure what your point is, but prices 9 months ago aren't even remotely the same as now.

That being said, I think you will definitely get more parting the rifle out and selling everything individually.  Its a little more aggravating, but definitely worth it in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top