Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 9:41:45 PM EDT
I’ve built my rifle.  I’ve bought a 54” rolling case for it.

So far, in the case I have:

Rifle with Scope and Bipod.
Three magazines.
QD Sling.
50rd resealable spare Ammo Box.
Range finder
Rifle and scope tool for full dissemble if needed.
Lithium Ion batteries for scope and range finder.
Desiccant packs below critical items.

Im about to add a lens brush, ziess wipes and CLP.
Im thinking of adding several rolls of camouflage ace wraps for different environments.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning rod?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:
Cleaning rod?
View Quote
That's a good idea!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a pelican 1750 for airline transport, I removed all the foam and use my Tactical Operations drag bag instead in the case, it's just as good as any foam.
It has a pocket for a ground pad, a good thing when it's a rock covered area, a full size cleaning rod, Lucas bore guide and numerous pockets for ear, and eye pro, magazines, data book, my trusty mil dot master, and whatever else you want.
In addition the drag bag has shoulder straps built in which makes carrying into the field a bit easier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Small torque driver kit? (link)

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what's in my drag bag right now..

Rifle, cleaning rods, bore guide, chamber rods, cleaning kit, chamber flag, markers, 2 spare magazines, targets, stapler, surveyor tape, batteries, and a trauma kit....

Attachment Attached File

Then in my pack I have tool kit, ranger finder, spotting scope, tripod, batteries, log book, rear bag, ammo wallet, 50-100 rd ammo box depending on what I am doing, eye pro and ear pro, I-pad, shooting mat and a few other odds and ends....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Progun1911] [#8]
The rifle ,scope, magazines and bi-pod go in the case . Everything else go's in bags or a dedicated tool box.
I never fly with my guns, so this is for going to the range. I just went to a bigger tool box today, all my spare parts, cleaning supplies, spare batteries, tools are in the box.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#9]
What excellent replies!  Thank you so much!

I Think a Drag Bag would be great for the field.  The hard case for transport to camp.
I have a CDS dial for my rifle set for prefered load, but a backup balistics sheet calculator of some type might be nice.

Shooting Sticks would be great for the drag bag.

I think some springs, a firing pin, etc, would be helpful.  I have a complete spare trigger group. I can put that in too.  Maybe a second bolt and trigger group?

I keep a first aid kit for when in the field.

A marker and some measuring tape, plus some grid targets in the case, if I have to re-zero.

Here it is so far.  Tools, and similar are under things like the range finder, in the 2nd layer of foam.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good OP...
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:20:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#11]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Looks good OP...
View Quote
Thank you so much. Ive been piecing it together for years.  I really wanted to push the limits of 35 Whelen.  This is my "Project Townie" rifle.   Medium Bore, but accurate.  
Hardest part was actually making custom magazines out of the 30-06 PMAGs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Thank you so much. Ive been piecing it together for years.  I really wanted to push the limits of 35 Whelen.  This is my "Project Townie" rifle.   Medium Bore, but accurate.  
View Quote
What kind of numbers can you get out of the 35?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s the funny thing.  Since I’ve reworked it, I haven’t shot it yet. This last couple of months has been super busy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#14]

That’s the funny thing.  Since I’ve reworked it, I haven’t shot it yet. This last couple of months has been super busy.
View Quote
What?...you build a rifle that nice and haven't shot it? dang....hangs head in shame....
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Kestrel.
Not sure how much protection you're wanting/needing in the field, but the TAB Gear rifle cover may be a better fit for protecting your rifle without the bulk of a drag bag. Shooting gear in a pack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#16]
I carry two scopes, both QD RTZ mounted.  Damaging a scope, or just having it take a good enough hit that zero might have been compromised gives me magnified backup/replacement in the field.

In this instance, my bolt precision hunting rifle is mated to a 2-12x42mm Leupold VX6-HD and a "hot swappable". Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL.  A second pre-zeroed scope takes up little room and can save a hunting trip.  The rifle is a Custom Shop Rem 700 in .280 Rem in a McMillan Mountain Rifle kevlar stock.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:56:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#17]
Deleted double post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have foam earplugs in the case, they come in handy a lot, don't weigh anything. I also carry a pair in the stock bag on my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:
Cleaning rod?
View Quote

I was going to say this or a bore snake. Bore snakes are great after you stuff a barrel in the snow on accident.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MS556:
I carry two scopes, both QD RTZ mounted.  Damaging a scope, or just having it take a good enough hit that zero might have been compromised gives me magnified backup/replacement in the field.

In this instance, my bolt precision hunting rifle is mated to a 2-12x42mm Leupold VX6-HD and a "hot swappable". Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL.  A second pre-zeroed scope takes up little room and can save a hunting trip.  The rifle is a Custom Shop Rem 700 in .280 Rem in a McMillan Mountain Rifle kevlar stock.
View Quote

Or buy one good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top