Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 8:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacklenut]
Are these accurate rifles in stock configuration? Looking at lightly used .308 for sale.

Looking at Gunbroker, I don't see many sales. What is a fair price for a nice one? No optics, just gun in stock configuration.

My reservations about this model is that I don't think it has the accu-trigger or the accu-stock. If the asking price of the gun is $500, I wonder if I would be better off waiting for something else. I am in no hurry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The 110FP is a long action and has been out of production for probably close to 20 years...do you by chance mean 10FP, which is short action?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told it was the 110FP. That is what concerned me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuddyChryst] [#3]
Savage uses 2 digits for the short action models and adds a 1 in front of it for long action.  So a model 10 that is chambered in say, .30-06, becomes a 110.

It's probably just someone not realizing what they're saying, but the devil is in the details.

ETA:  I would think a 10FP would have an AccuTrigger unless it was pre-2000?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Savage did make 110 long actions in .308. The fact that it does not have the accutrigger and  is a 110 in .308 kind of dates it (although I don't remember the exact year that they stopped making them this way, I believe it was at least/around ten years ago). Nothing wrong with them from a functional standpoint. They're usually very accurate rifles and if it has a low round count, it could be worth the money as a shooter. However, it's a used Savage and even the newer models don't hold their value that well in the used market, so you may be better off looking for something in a more current configuration for that price. There's more aftermarket stuff available for the newer model short actions, also.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
Savage uses 2 digits for the short action models and adds a 1 in front of it for long action.  So a model 10 that is chambered in say, .30-06, becomes a 110.

It's probably just someone not realizing what they're saying, but the devil is in the details.

View Quote

When Savage first got into the "tactical" scene... they used long actions on all the builds, including .223 and .308. I have one in .223 (got it somewhere around 1994/1995) and it's an outstanding shooter... the down side is not many stock options.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Renn] [#6]
I recently sold my beloved project gun - a Savage 110 FP.

I had a few stocks over the years.. I had a stock from Stockade, a Savage wooden one from a target action, and the Choate Tactical stock as shown in the pics. I read that AI had a Savage 110 stock - not sure if that is true. The Choate needed a bit of work. I had to rebed it in Devcon steel and fill in the tang area quite a bit as there was a huge gap. yeah, I know Savage's tang should be floated and it is - a piece of paper can slip in freely.
It is a great shooter. I thought the bolt lift was difficult but comparing it to others like a factory Rem 700 and my own FN SPR - it isn't bad. The action's bolt is a bit sloppy but that doesn't seem to hurt accuracy as the bolt head floats.
I didn't get much out of it in resale. I needed room for the FN SPR
In summary, the Savage 110 is accurate but "feels" less refined compared to the FN.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

When Savage first got into the "tactical" scene... they used long actions on all the builds, including .223 and .308. I have one in .223 (got it somewhere around 1994/1995) and it's an outstanding shooter... the down side is not many stock options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:

Agreed the stock sucks but mine is a real barn burner from the bags .223 also. I think 1993 or 94.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Friend of mine had one in 223 and it was scary accurate even with cheap factory ammo and low end scope.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Go for it. Never had a Savage that didn't shoot great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacklenut] [#10]
Thanks, I got it for $350. It was unfired.
For that price, I can play and see if I like it or not.

Forgot to mention that it came with a mixture of 500 rounds of PMC brown box and German ammo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my 110FP it's chambered in 300WM though, it came with the accutrigger so it can't be that old.

Here's how it shoots with Black Hills 190gr

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
This one is the older version with no accu trigger. However, for the price, I think it will work out fine for what I want to do.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tacklenut:
This one is the older version with no accu trigger. However, for the price, I think it will work out fine for what I want to do.
View Quote

You got a fantastic deal... make sure to post pics later with a range report.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I need a set of rings and base for a Vortex Viper I plan to mount on this gun. I noticed that there were no screws in the receiver where the base mounts. Any suggestions for a the rings and base for this application. The Vortex Viper is the 6x24x50 that was close out not long ago.

I cant believe they threw in the 500 rounds of ball ammo with the deal. I did not even ask they just handed me a big heavy box.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I need a set of rings and base for a Vortex Viper I plan to mount on this gun. I noticed that there were no screws in the receiver where the base mounts. Any suggestions for a the rings and base for this application. The Vortex Viper is the 6x24x50 that was close out not long ago.

I cant believe they threw in the 500 rounds of ball ammo with the deal. I did not even ask they just handed me a big heavy box.
View Quote

I like the Ken Farrell one-piece base and the steel TPS rings... there are others out there but the ones mentioned are a great value.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AR167:
Go for it. Never had a Savage that didn't shoot great.
View Quote

YUP
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]

I like the Ken Farrell one-piece base and the steel TPS rings... there are others out there but the ones mentioned are a great value.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep the base on my rifle above is a Farrell G-force, it's a very nice piece.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I know this is an old thread (so don't jump down my throat), but I just ran across it, and who knows- somebody in future may be offered a 110FP and be looking for advice.

I bought a 110FP in .223 in 1993 - the year they came out with the 1-in-9 twist barrel.  I was looking for a rifle for open class target competition.  First time out on the range was less than impressive.  I was using Federal Gold Medal match 69 gr BTHP ammo, and was not shooting worth a damn.  Later when cleaning it I tried the old tight-patch-on-the-cleaning-rod trick and discovered that what I had was a 1-in-12 twist barrel.

A letter to Savage revealed that the first 1,000 rifles were produced with a 1-in-12 twist barrel, because the new 1-in-9 twist barrels simply had not been ready on time.   The letter apologised and offered a free replacement with the proper barrel.  I sent the rifle back to Savage and it was returned a few weeks later with a new 1-in-9 twist barrel.  I have had the rifle ever since, and it shoots extremely well out past 800 yards. Along the way the action has been glass bedded and blue-printed, and the barrel lapped.  The twist is still a little slow for heavy for calibre bullets, but it can be made to work if you drive them fast enough.  This requires the use of machine gun ammunition with crimped-in heavily constructed primers converted into Mexican Match.  Done right this will accommodate 80 grain VLD bullets.  Cartridge OAL requires these be single-loaded - not a problem as target rifle rules in some places actually demand magazines only be used as a platform for single loading. So loaded, it becomes a 1,000 yard rifle.

I have been very happy with my 110FP.  There are a couple of small niggles - the blind magazine is the biggest.  It is my intention to see if I can somehow convert this to use a detachable box magazine.  If not a chassis may be the answer.  It is ridiculous to have a long action with .223 chambering, but  there's not much one can do about that.  My advice is that if you are offered a Savage 110 FP far a reasonable price and the bore looks good - grab it.  Just because it's old, doesn't mean it can't shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BeMachinist] [#19]
I picked up a 110 in 30.06 off Gun Broker for $250 with intentions of turning it into an inexpensive precision/hunting rig build.  It came with a pencil thin sporter barrel, accutrigger, plastic stock, cheap bushnell, etc.

I rebarreled to 25in PacNor 1-8 Medium Palma in 280AI, got a Boyd's Stock that I pillared and bedded myself with Devcon, added a one piece base and CDI precision DBM bottom metal so I can run AI mags.

I'm getting 1/4-3/8 groups @ 100m with RL19 pushing 162 ELD-Xs about 2880.

Would like to try some Accubonds and Bergers next.

So far I'm pleased with my first bolt gun build.  In hind sight, next time I'd probably go with a 700 action due to much larger aftermarket accessory/parts support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top