Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2019 9:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bob9181]
Thought I would open a hornet's nest and get this started and see what our ARFCOM members top and favorite optic sets up are. For the purpose of this discussion, let us limit them to only hunting purpose optics.

So, max price limit ~$3-3.5k; weighing under or near 1.5 pounds/24 oz. I'll get started with my favorite - At that price range, the Swarovskis come to mind, the Z6is around $2000 and Z8i series around $3k. Hard to beat the Swaro quality in their price range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing compares to Schmidt & Bender. So look at their line up first.

But Swarovski is very good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPK:
Nothing compares to Schmidt & Bender. So look at their line up first.

But Swarovski is very good.
View Quote
Hmmm...never thought of them. Let me look them up. Thanks for the pointer mate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Always been a Swarovski fan myself for hunting rifles.

The Nightforce SHV is also a nice choice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never used any S&B, but I have a couple Swaro Z6s on hunting rifles..

1.7-10 and 2.5-15, both with BRH reticles.  Fantastic scopes!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:04:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bdicki] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]

A little bit over the weight limit, but I like Nightforce ATACRs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bdicki:
https://i.imgur.com/OlvJZjwh.jpg
View Quote
What rifle is the Swaro sitting on ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
https://i.postimg.cc/wv6KQRwn/Screenshot-20190920-105801.png

A little bit over the weight limit, but I like Nightforce ATACRs.
View Quote
Looks absolutely badass!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#9]
Originally Posted By JPK:
Nothing compares to Schmidt & Bender.
View Quote
True years ago, but several companies have stepped up (Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise, Minox {optically}).

For an optic that is close to the ATACR in glass, but lighter and still has the features of adjustable turrets, the Vortex AMG (28.8oz) is pretty solid. It’s a great optic for a triple purpose range/match/hunting rifle.

AMG on the 224Valkyrie

AMG 6-24, 4.5-27 Razor Gen2, ATACR 5-25 during resolution evaluation.

AMG 6-24 and ATACR 5-25
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Not super top-end, but the Razor HD LH is really nice if you are fine with 15X and don't need a lit reticle.

Only 16.5oz for the 3-15x42.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 2:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bob9181] [#11]
More specifically how dothe Schmidt & Benders compared to the Swaros?

I guess Leica has a bit better glass than both of those but haven’t used Leicas.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Nightforce.  In addition to glass quality, robustness and repeatability are extremely important.  No one tops NF is those categories.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
Always been a Swarovski fan myself for hunting rifles.

The Nightforce SHV is also a nice choice.
View Quote
@TXBO - Between the Nightforce and the Swarovski if you could only have one, which one would you get for your hunting rifle and why?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bob9181:

@TXBO - Between the Nightforce and the Swarovski if you could only have one, which one would you get for your hunting rifle and why?
View Quote
If I wasn’t going to shoot over 300 yards, either would be great.  Over 300, I’d go with NF.  I’ve never owned a NF scope that didn’t track true.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Any good options out there in the 34mm tube diameter area?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate all of swaros reticles. I use them for binos and spotting scopes. For rifle scopes I'll take kahles over anything followed closely by vortex amg.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Laufen:
Nightforce.  In addition to glass quality, robustness and repeatability are extremely important.  No one tops NF is those categories.
View Quote
That's complete conjecture.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Not super top-end, but the Razor HD LH is really nice if you are fine with 15X and don't need a lit reticle.

Only 16.5oz for the 3-15x42.
View Quote
I have one on a lite hunting rifle and really like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RePp:
I hate all of swaros reticles. I use them for binos and spotting scopes. For rifle scopes I'll take kahles over anything followed closely by vortex amg.
View Quote
What in the Swarovski reticles is that you don’t like? If I may ask. The Kahles are excellent scope as well. Right at the very top end of the spectrum, but then they are owned by the Swaro people ;). Swarovski did not even have a scope line when they bought the kahles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]

What in the Swarovski reticles is that you don’t like? If I may ask. The Kahles are excellent scope as well. Right at the very top end of the spectrum, but then they are owned by the Swaro people ;). Swarovski did not even have a scope line when they bought the kahles.
View Quote
The swaro line is just geared towards different style of shooters and market then where I am. Reticles and stuff that are out dated. I prefer a Christmas tree style reticle like the skmr3 and the ebr 7. I want to be able to do windage and elevation holds but not have it way over the top cluttered like with the horus reticles. I was looking at swaro reticles last week and they're still in the duplex and and bdc era.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
You're asking for "favorites", and this has been my experience.....thus NF is my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#22]

You're asking for "favorites", and this has been my experience.....thus NF is my favorite.
View Quote
I can respect your opinion. Opinion being the key word. I actually ordered a new NF today (sigh)
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m in the same pickle at the moment. I had LRI put me together a Defiance, Manners, and Proof build and I need a scope.

I have Swarovski, Nightforce, Zeiss, and Leupold scopes. I’m kicking around buying the Swarovski dS, Zeiss V8, Revic or March. I don’t need some crazy Christmas tree reticle on a hunting rifle and I want a 25-35 power top end.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, and Hensoldt all have better glass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a (now discontinued) Leica ER 2.5-10x42 and the glass quality blows me away. Better than the Leupold VX6, VX5HD, Mk8, and Mk6 scopes I’ve owned. I only wish it had adjustable parallax

Take a look at the Leicas that Scopelist and Europtic have on closeout right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:

Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, and Hensoldt all have better glass.
View Quote
That's interesting...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I use Swarovski binos and Nightforce or Leupold rifle scopes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
That's interesting...
View Quote
It shouldn’t be. Common knowledge.

I don’t think any of them are as tough as a Nightforce. Nightforce gets edged out in the glass department.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Nightforce scopes.
Leica Binoculars.
Hensoldt Spotter 60.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:

It shouldn't be. Common knowledge.

I don't think any of them are as tough as a Nightforce. Nightforce gets edged out in the glass department.
View Quote
You're speaking as if this is factual data when in fact what you are expressing is subjective. Moreover, out of curiosity, what particulars from the other scopes "edges" NF out of the glass department? And I'm assuming we're comparing the ATACR glass to the other scopes you listed?
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cardboardkiller] [#31]
You're speaking as if this is factual data when in fact what you are expressing is subjective. Moreover, out of curiosity, what particulars from the other scopes "edges" NF out of the glass department? And I'm assuming we're comparing the ATACR glass to the other scopes you listed?
View Quote
When you start looking at eye box, chromatic aberration, edge to edge clarity, light transmission, actual zoom, tunneling, etc., Nightforce gets edged out. The differences are there. The top 5 or top 3 on any given day in any given test? Yeah.

When you look at the total package you get from Nightforce, they produce some of the best scopes out there but they aren’t top of heap in the glass department.

I own Nightforce scopes. My old 5.5-22 NXS in a Spuhr one piece mount has lasted over 10 years of deer hunting and range abuse on my Sako TRG 22. The dent in the bell from me dropping it when I almost fell off a cliff didn’t change the zero at all.

I’m eyeballing the ATACR 1-8 hard for an LPVO on my 3 gun rifle. I have to figure just what scope I want for my Defiance, Manners, Proof carbon fiber build from LRI first. I’m leaning towards the Swarovski dS or Zeiss V8 4.8-35-60, or March. I can’t decide what features are more important to hang on this build. Whatever I end up is going to sting my wallet. The ATACR F2 just isn’t what want for this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#32]
"I can't decide what features are more important to hang on this build"

I think that's what it all boils down to when you're looking at high end scopes like those. Glass quality comparison is splitting hairs in my opinion. I looked through every scope I could when trying to select one and found no appreciable difference in glass quality. Of course, this is all my subjective opinion. Ultimately, the reticle choice is what persuaded me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#33]

I think that's what it all boils down to when you're looking at high end scopes like those. Glass quality comparison is splitting hairs in my opinion. I looked through every scope I could when trying to select one and found no appreciable difference in glass quality. Of course, this is all my subjective opinion. Ultimately, the reticle choice is what persuaded me.
View Quote
I don’t like the floating cross on the MOAR-T for hunting. That’s really the only thing I don’t like about the scope. Fix that and as a bonus get rid of the top portion of the reticle and I’d buy one right now. I don’t zero for hold under and I’m not shooting 2 miles, so I don’t need the upper portion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Why I always go kahles or vortex. They have my favorite reticles. The new nightforce milxt or whatever it's called isnt bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
To limit the opinions to hunting scopes, I believe primarily the main criteria are - light transmission, clearest glass and coatings (minimal to no chromatic aberrations), and low light (and equally important bright light) performance.

For my new Proof Research Elevation hunting rifle, Inam personally debating on the below:

- Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15 56 P (~ $2,600)
- Scmidt & Bender 4-16 56 Polar T96 (~ 2,660)
- Kahles 318i 3.5-18 50 CCW SKMR3 (~$2,750)

All of the prices are for me shipped from different vendors. Others might get them higher or lower. The S&B and Kahles are open box demos.

My personal requirement is the clearest reticle and quality/value retention. Reticles don’t matter much to me as this is going to be on a Deer, Elk, (and later mountain goat) hunting rifle and not a PRS competition rifle. None of these except the Kahles would be on the list if this was a precision/target/competiton rifles.

Overall clarity at all times, low light performance,  is my most important aspect.

I am love the concept of owning the Kahles but I guess the image quality and low light performance (dawn & dusk) is not on the same class as the Swaros and Schmidt & Benders.

Would especially like to hear from the folks who own any or either or all (;))of them .
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Z6 2.5-15, and a few Kahles 624i's.

No contest, Swaro, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#37]
To limit the opinions to hunting scopes, I believe primarily the main criteria are - light transmission, clearest glass and coatings (minimal to no chromatic aberrations), and low light (and equally important bright light) performance.

For my new Proof Research Elevation hunting rifle, Inam personally debating on the below:

All of the prices are for me shipped from different vendors. Others might get them higher or lower. The S&B and Kahles are open box demos.

My personal requirement is the clearest reticle and quality/value retention. Reticles don’t matter much to me as this is going to be on a Deer, Elk, (and later mountain goat) hunting rifle and not a PRS competition rifle. None of these except the Kahles would be on the list if this was a precision/target/competiton rifles.

Overall clarity at all times, low light performance,  is my most important aspect.

I am love the concept of owning the Kahles but I guess the image quality and low light performance (dawn & dusk) is not on the same class as the Swaros and Schmidt & Benders.

Would especially like to hear from the folks who own any or either or all (;))of them .
View Quote
Ehh I roll kahles on a bunch of my guns from 1-6, 3-18, 5-25 and 6-24. I would take a kahles over anything. The glass quality, tracking, reticle etc is all my favorite by far. Objective diameter and glass quality for gathering light on the kahles is awesome. S&B this day and age the juice just isnt worth the squeeze. 15 years ago from sure, now no thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Ehh I roll kahles on a bunch of my guns from 1-6, 3-18, 5-25 and 6-24. I would take a kahles over anything. The glass quality, tracking, reticle etc is all my favorite by far. Objective diameter and glass quality for gathering light on the kahles is awesome. S&B this day and age the juice just isnt worth the squeeze. 15 years ago from sure, now no thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 624i"s, great scopes.

But for OPs concern, the Z6 beats them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mi650:

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 624i"s, great scopes.

But for OPs concern, the Z6 beats them.
View Quote
I can't make a call I've never used a Z6.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Just an update guys. Got a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BRHi. After much thought, figured it will serve me well for my varied hunting purposes. There is a place for the more advanced ones like S&Bs and Kahles but not on this particular one at the moment (PF Elevation in 6.5 CM).

Need some advise on the proper height for the scope mounts for  this 30mm tube , 56mm objective lens scope.  Is 1.125” enough or should I got 1.375” (med-high)?

By the way, my rifle has a 20 MOA pic rail and the barrel is Senduro contour.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine is in an LT807, 1.375", 0 MOA rail.

1.125" would not be high enough.  1.25" might work, but it would be close.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mi650:
Mine is in an LT807, 1.375", 0 MOA rail.

1.125" would not be high enough.  1.25" might work, but it would be close.
View Quote
Thanks ! Appreciate the tip. Will keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Payneful] [#43]
I know its a little late in regards to the OP since he already purchased. But just for everyone else, Kahles is owned by Swaro as of a few years ago. That is why you saw the Kahles line go away from their hunting line to exclusively target/tactical oriented scopes. Swaro wanted two separate lines of scopes that did not compete with one another. So if you love Swaro glass but want a different set of features.... Kahles is your go to.
For anyone looking for the best value optic right now. That has to be the Leica Magnus scopes EuroOptic has on close out. The glass on them is just as good as a Swaro Z6/Z8. But they are selling them for around $1k.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leica-Magnus-Special-Deals.aspx?utm_source=eoic2017&utm_medium=KJP
I know if I were looking for a hunting scope, that is certainly the one I would get after having the chance to look through one recently in comparison to a number of other great brands.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't mean to be poor, but I have a hard time buying multiple $2000 scopes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Payneful:
I know its a little late in regards to the OP since he already purchased. But just for everyone else, Kahles is owned by Swaro as of a few years ago. That is why you saw the Kahles line go away from their hunting line to exclusively target/tactical oriented scopes. Swaro wanted two separate lines of scopes that did not compete with one another. So if you love Swaro glass but want a different set of features.... Kahles is your go to.
For anyone looking for the best value optic right now. That has to be the Leica Magnus scopes EuroOptic has on close out. The glass on them is just as good as a Swaro Z6/Z8. But they are selling them for around $1k.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leica-Magnus-Special-Deals.aspx?utm_source=eoic2017&utm_medium=KJP
I know if I were looking for a hunting scope, that is certainly the one I would get after having the chance to look through one recently in comparison to a number of other great brands.
View Quote
Dang!! I should have found this earlier. Could easily have saved a grand :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top