Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2022 9:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector]
Update-

So for a while I was thinking about building, but ended up deciding to buy one. A Bergara HMR and Sako S20 were on my short list for 7mm mag, so I swung over to buds and held the HMR… wasn’t super thrilled about the stock, but it felt like a decent rifle. Then Eurooptic dropped their Sako prices, and I decided to go for one. I’ve had a Sako L61R in 7mag before and regret getting rid of it, plus it’s just spoke to me. After coupons, I probably could have saved $200 buying the bergara, but I don’t regret my choice now that I’ve made it. After shipping, taxes and transfer, I paid $1297 for the rifle.

I have a harris M-lok bipod coming to dump the magpul, and I ordered the Sako brake, and a half dozen more mags ($38 each, not terrible). Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 with medium pro rings under $600 with military discount, and I’ll likely upgrade glass later and move this to my .243. I need to get back to the fundamentals and put rounds downrange, then I can learn what I like/dislike, and change stuff from there. I have powder, bullets, and plenty of time between college classes this winter/spring to figure out what it eats best.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Since I’m cheap, but would rather build one, I want to put together a 7mm rem mag (firm on caliber) and need some guidance.

I’ll be putting it in a Magpul stock, so Rem 700 based action with a plug and play barrel is preferable. Longest range I’ll realistically shoot at is 600 yards with a few opportunities for 1-1200 yards. I don’t need great, just good enough. Gonna get the most Vortex I can buy for $750 after my Mil discount.

What brands/websites should I be looking at? Military discount preferable, have it on Brownells so if there’s good deals there, even better.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking factory, you can’t go wrong with tikka.   But if you’re going magpul stock that may be an issue.

Stay away from Remington 700, their qc is trash.   I’d look at howa, Tika, Cz, bergara.

My recommendation would be a lower budget custom.   Such as a zermatt origin or ARC nucleus with a prefit barrel.   You can get some Pennie’s off with their mil discounts as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JerseyRaised:
If you are looking factory, you can’t go wrong with tikka.   But if you’re going magpul stock that may be an issue.

Stay away from Remington 700, their qc is trash.   I’d look at howa, Tika, Cz, bergara.

My recommendation would be a lower budget custom.   Such as a zermatt origin or ARC nucleus with a prefit barrel.   You can get some Pennie’s off with their mil discounts as well.
View Quote

Yeah, not buying a remington factory gun. Held a Sako last week and almost pulled the trigger on it, but I like the feel of the magpul stock from shooting a friends. Custom build was the plan.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother wants to build the same rifle.
Would love to keep up to know how yours shakes out
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
well, if you're cheap, MDT has cheaper chassis than the magpul, last i checked. (and they're plenty good chassis). and eurooptic has vortex viper 5-25s for 670 for the FFP, since you mentioned vortex. so there's some savings for you already

black friday deals might be gone, but even a single stage triggertech diamond can possibly be found for about 200. (i got one 205ish shipped from brownells). and those things are money well spent.

action, barrel? i'll leave to others to answer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
No experience with their barrels (yet) but Carbon Six is currently running a sale.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#6]
I did a full custom on a Sako M995 action. Really nice rifle but very expensive, no stocks really available with that inlet, barrel thread is metric, no scope bases.
I would find a used, older Rem or Winchester or maybe Ruger 77 since they will be the easiest to find a stock and barrel (and trigger) for. Have action blueprinted. You'll also want to take into consideration a scope mount and what's available.
JMO
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned, look at Zermatt Origin, ARC Coup de Grace for an action, there some other budget friendly options as well.  They support pre-fit barrels you can spin on yourself with a couple simple tools. Then just find a Shop that makes prefit for that action. Patriot Valley is one, bugholes is another. Probably looking around $1500.

Chassis will be easiest so just find one you like and screw on the barreled action.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

I’ll probably build the next one, but for now, I got a Sako.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top