Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/12/2021 1:50:44 PM EDT
Trying to decide between the original Razor HD (5-20x50) or the Gen 2 (3-18x50). The eye relief and weight is better on the Gen 1 but I've never looked through one...only the Gen II. I prefer the length of the Gen II obviously.  This will be on a dual role (hunting / precision) 20" custom built .308 Win.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShOcKeRpb] [#1]
Have not had experience with the other, but just got in my 3-18x50 Gen 2 over the weekend, and if you are going to be carrying the rifle over any appreciable distance, you might want to look at the total weight of your carry rig, and see if you need to go with a lighter scope.

It is a hefty scope...

I had a thread here recently where I was deciding between this one and the NX8 Nightforce, which is a MUCH lighter scope, and while the general consensus went for the Vortex being a better scope both optically and in a precision role, the NX8 would be a slightly better choice for a hunting rifle at just over half the weight.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Definitely the Razor II. Just a nicer scope all around. Have had multiples of each.

Will it be carried for long distances or just mostly short carries and hide hunting?
View Quote

How is the glass clarity in your opinion? Close or noticeably better with Gen 2?

I do plan on hunting with this rifle some. However, in the deep south my deer hunts involve driving in and walking maybe 100 yards to my box stand. Weight isn't a huge factor but still considering it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

100 yards? LOL I walk farther at most matches and carry it all day. You will be fine with a little weight for those hunting days and the weight will help when you use it as a precision rifle. Get the Gen II. The Glass is better and so are the knobs and reticle.
View Quote

Yeah, LOL. I used to hunt in southwest Texas and it wasn't uncommon to hump it a 1000 yards to get to a stand. Now in the southeast it's a none issue.

Will go with the Gen II. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#6]
The Gen1 is legitimately a first gen optic that was substantially upgraded with the Gen2.  The glass is demonstrably better, with the Gen2 having better attributes like color fidelity and resolution. You essentially get a brighter, clearer, more vivid picture.  This goes a long way towards the long term satisfaction with the optic.  The Gen2 is about at the pinnacle of optical capability at the moment for the price point.  The only way to step up in optical quality would be to get to the level that NightForce is running with the ATACR, but that would likely bring ATACR level pricing.  Buying a Gen1 would essentially be taking a step back in both optical quality and construction/design which I don’t believe is worth the few hundred dollars you’d save.  I’ve shot extensively with both, moreso actually with the Gen1, and I would never pick a Gen1 over a Gen2 under any circumstance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#7]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
The Gen1 is legitimately a first gen optic that was substantially upgraded with the Gen2.  The glass is demonstrably better, with the Gen2 having better attributes like color fidelity and resolution. You essentially get a brighter, clearer, more vivid picture.  This goes a long way towards the long term satisfaction with the optic.  The Gen2 is about at the pinnacle of optical capability at the moment for the price point.  The only way to step up in optical quality would be to get to the level that NightForce is running with the ATACR, but that would likely bring ATACR level pricing.  Buying a Gen1 would essentially be taking a step back in both optical quality and construction/design which I don’t believe is worth the few hundred dollars you’d save.  I’ve shot extensively with both, moreso actually with the Gen1, and I would never pick a Gen1 over a Gen2 under any circumstance.
View Quote

Good points. I’ve actually never looked through the Gen 1 so sounds like I’d be disappointed. And from what I’ve found, there is no price difference between the 50mm Gen 1 and 50mm Gen 2. So it’s settled....I’m getting the pig. Almost 47 ounces....sheesh.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top