Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2020 12:41:06 PM EDT
I'm in the middle of building a precision AR 15 .224 valkyrie right now, and I'll really on the fence as to what trigger to go with. I would really like one with 0% creep clean breaking with little to no over travel, want 2-2.5 lb pull. There are so many trigger companies out there and it seems that all of them has at least half dozen different models. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Single Stage or two stage?

GA, Elfmann and LaRue all make an appropriate trigger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:50:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#4]
On my 224V I started with a Larue MBT2.  Mostly cause I had a few of them on hand.  Also a great trigger to learn on as far as learning to find the "wall" and having lighter pull weight vs mil-spec triggers.   Personally I prefer geissele HSNM triggers but they are hard to find used (and at a good price).  That is also 1 hell of a learning curve, specially if coming from mil-spec.  So I used the MBT2S for a few months, then found a barely used HSNM on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
MBT. Not a better trigger for the price.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
LaRue or Geissele NM.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Timney or Geissele...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the feed back I appreciate it very much. I decided to go with the triggertech AR diamond, should be here monday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have experience the the following and like them all.

Timney 3lb, have one on my 3 gun AR.

Geissele Rapid Fire at Brownells, have one on my PCC race gun. Fastest trigger i have shot.

LaRue MBT-2S, very good trigger for a mid-budget precision shooter.

Geissele SSA and SSA-E are damn good triggers for mid to upper budget precision ARs.

ALG are good for HD and such.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Hyperfire.... I am using Hipertouch 24C and I like it....
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:57:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#11]
I'll still recommend the HSNM. lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:

View Quote

LaRue makes a 2 lb trigger?  I missed that.  OP was looking for 2 to 2.5 lbs, if I recall.  Isn’t the MBT-2 4.5 lbs.?  Isn’t their 1-S single stage even heavier?

I love Larue mounts and have several.  Highly recommend them.  ButI don’t think of Larue triggers as intended for precision rifles.  Battle rifles, yes.  Maybe DSM role, but precision?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MS556:

LaRue makes a 2 lb trigger?  I missed that.  OP was looking for 2 to 2.5 lbs, if I recall.  Isn’t the MBT-2 4.5 lbs.?  Isn’t their 1-S single stage even heavier?

I love Larue mounts and have several.  Highly recommend them.  ButI don’t think of Larue triggers as intended for precision rifles.  Battle rifles, yes.  Maybe DSM role, but precision?
View Quote

Honestly I think anything less than 4.5# is not suitable for anything other than a purpose built bench gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:

I do very well with my 2S (I use the heavy spring as I feel it allows me greater control over the trigger through the first stage into the break). Truth be told, I have better results with the Larue than I do with my Geisseles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
ALG-ACT is an excellent inexpensive trigger that will serve you well for duty, home defense and rifle drills.

Geissele makes the best triggers I have ever used. I have not tried any triggers lighter than 4.5 pounds simply because of NRA/CMP rules and general safety concerns. I don't believe light triggers belong on defense weapons.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#16]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:

Honestly I think anything less than 4.5# is not suitable for anything other than a purpose built bench gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
Originally Posted By MS556:

LaRue makes a 2 lb trigger?  I missed that.  OP was looking for 2 to 2.5 lbs, if I recall.  Isn’t the MBT-2 4.5 lbs.?  Isn’t their 1-S single stage even heavier?

I love Larue mounts and have several.  Highly recommend them.  ButI don’t think of Larue triggers as intended for precision rifles.  Battle rifles, yes.  Maybe DSM role, but precision?

Honestly I think anything less than 4.5# is not suitable for anything other than a purpose built bench gun.

Really?  We all have opinions and mine is no more valid than yours.  But consider that purpose built bench guns have triggers well under one pound, down in the ounces.  I have such rifles with triggers as light as 6 ounces.  They are, indeed, suitable only for bench shooting.  But accuracy would be terribly degraded with 4.5 lb triggers.

All my bolt hunting rifles have 3 pound triggers.  That is a widely accepted norm.  It’s hard to find credible sources advocating heavier triggers for hunting.  

A good precision AR (the subject of this sub forum) needs a trigger lighter than 4.5 lbs.  Geissle’s SSA is designed to meet the needs of a combo combat and DMR type role.  It works, but is still heavier than necessary to optimize precise shot placement in a rifle capable of sub MOA performance.

Geissele’s SSA-E was my choice for a precision build,  It is a great choice when the build is sub MOA capable.  It’s 3.5 lb total pull through is similar to my bolt guns, is safe for a semi-auto, but it’s 1.2 lb very crisp second stage really lets a precision rifle show it’s potential.

I have difficulty using the phrase “precision rifle” and “4.5 lb trigger” in the same sentence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top