Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 4:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texmarine0331]
New to magnified optics on AR platform guns. I’ve got this scope where it feels comfortable for my with shouldering and eye relief but not I wonder if it’s too far forward.  Lots of pics I’ve seen have the rear of the scope right above the charging handle.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
looks pretty far forward to me..I also put mine about even with the charge handle...
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#2]
If you can see through it comfortably its fine. but that seems pretty far forward.

Can you see through it properly in the full range of magnification and from various shooting positions?

What optic is that?

Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
looks pretty far forward to me..I also put mine about even with the charge handle...
View Quote

Thats usually about where I end up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on how tall you are. Taller person = longer neck. That's a pretty good place for a taller person. If you can get a good view through the scope without having to move your head around when you bring the rifle up, you're good. Also if you're shooting prone once in a while it needs to be a bit more forward.
Do you have short friends??
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texmarine0331] [#4]
I’m 6’4” and like to have my nose to charging handle.

Moved it back to over charging handle and it’s manageable. Have to pull the stock out a bit to get good eye relief standing and prone.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you get proper eye relief?  Do you have a short stock?

As long as you get the entire circle of view I would say it's okay.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#7]
About right for NTCH. If the stock is short, square up. Stock long, blade a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 6'6" with a long neck. Really, my cheek to shoulder is longer than average. So what works for me doesn't for others. I've never had an optic that has the same FOV from min to max. So I loosely put it in the rings/mount, with max magnification, then get comfortable behind it. Adjust the stock out and rest your cheek. Try to get in a position that your neck is comfortable enough without strain of any kind. Then use an Arisaka tool, start tightening everything down, use a plumb line to make sure you are dead nuts on. The most comfortable stock I have for distance shooting on large frame AR's, is the Battleline Industries SAPR, which can still be purchased. Even with that, I had to use the long/thicker buttpad on the Magpul to make it comfortable enough with correct LOP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top