Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2020 10:15:22 AM EDT
So you Tikka t3x CTR owners...... do you love your CTR or do you wish you would have bought another brand rifle ?.... and why?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#1]
Really like mine.

Initially, the plastic stock really turned me off, but it actually works well for the intended purpose (mine’s not strictly a bench rifle- I use it for hunting). It’s not stiff, but it’s stiff enough, and a trade off for some weight (yes I put a heavy ass scope on top of it, so I nullified that gain).

Trigger is good, rifle is very accurate, and at that price point I don’t know a smoother bolt/action.

I looked at both the CTR and the Bergara. Both are fine rifles, but I don’t regret my choice even a little. This rifle fits my needs quite well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Accuser] [#2]
My .260 Remington Tikka CTR is absolutely one of the best firearms I've ever purchased.  The action is the smoothest I've ever encountered.  The rifle will shoot almost any factory ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards and finding hand loads that are tack drivers is stupid easy.  I really want to buy one of the new .223 Tikka CTR rifles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#3]
There is always a price range qualifier to a rifle purchase.

For $1000 is there a rifle that I'd rather have than my CTR...no..not really.

I will say though that putting it into a Bravo chassis is what makes it shine.  The factory stock is serviceable, however, I really wanted the features that the Bravo offered.

Given what I have into the rifle now though with the chassis I'd probably opt for a used Bighorn or other custom action based rifle off of Sniper's Hide.

I got this Bighorn TL-2 built for ~$2K with the Bravo chassis and Bix N Andy Tac Sport 2-stage trigger.  I got the action and barrel "New Old Stock" off of SH a couple years ago.  It wound up being about $500 more than the Tikka (with Bravo) though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
love it. action is incredibly smooth. trigger is pretty damn good. for a $1000 it's a top notch rifle that's outside it's price range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlficken:

I will say though that putting it into a Bravo chassis is what makes it shine though.  The factory stock is serviceable, however, I really wanted the features that the Bravo offered.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/bEf3LXzxQLLCdEN/preview

Given what I have into the rifle now though with the chassis I'd probably opt for a used Bighorn or other custom action based rifle off of Sniper's Hide.

I got this Bighorn TL-2 built for ~$2K with the Bravo chassis and Bix N Andy Tac Sport 2-stage trigger.  I got the action and barrel "New Old Stock" off of SH a couple years ago.  It wound up being about $500 more than the Tikka (with Bravo) though.
https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/7wBM4jmr5KALiPw/preview
View Quote

@jlficken

iirc, you have a TRG too? How does the bravo chassis compare to the trg's stock?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#7]
Originally Posted By na1lb0hm:

@jlficken

iirc, you have a TRG too? How does the bravo chassis compare to the trg's stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I will say though that putting it into a Bravo chassis is what makes it shine though.  The factory stock is serviceable, however, I really wanted the features that the Bravo offered.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/bEf3LXzxQLLCdEN/preview

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/7wBM4jmr5KALiPw/preview

@jlficken

@na1lb0hm

That is correct.  I got a TRG-22 a few months ago.

The TRG and Bravo chassis are basically constructed the same from what I can tell.  They both use a "backbone" and then the front and rear sections attach to the backbone.

As far as overall feel to me the TRG wins hands down over the Bravo.  I have XXL hands and skinny fingers and the TRG palm swell is perfect for me in girth and height as is the trigger reach.  The Bravo palm swell is quite a bit skinnier and shorter in height it seems than the TRG.

The benefit of the Bravo is that it's a solid chassis and is "cheap" compared to other options while offering a ton of flexibility compared to even the TRG chassis.

I also HATE the location of the sling swivel on the Bravo as it sits up too high for me and the swivel hits my jaw if I'm not careful so I generally take the sling off when shooting.  That could just be a me thing though.

Despite my ragging on the Bravo a bit though it really is the best bang for your buck chassis out there IMO and I'll continue to buy them in the future.

With the cost of used TRG-22's hovering around $2K and new being $2.5K though they are a helluva deal right now.  If you are looking for a rifle in a standard bolt face (.473") caliber it'd be hard to go wrong with a TRG-22.

I had the AI AT, TRG-22, Bighorn TL-2, and CTR out last night and was playing with them a bit and the TRG-22 feels the most refined out of them all.  The action is slick as snot, the trigger is superb, the chassis fits me perfectly, and it shoots like a laser.  I don't think it's as robust as the AI, however, it is the most enjoyable to shoot.

Just because...here's the TRG:

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Super happy with mine.  The action is smooth and there's good aftermarket support.  As others mentioned, once I dropped a KRG Bravo on it, its a great option.  

Originally I was heading down the custom route as I had been acquiring parts, stock and action.  After a buddy let me shoot his CTR and I ran the numbers, it was cheaper to buy the CTR and KRG upgrades than try to go full-on custom build.  While I have no doubt that the custom build would have been "better" than a 24" CTR in a KRG Bravo stock, there's also the question of whether or not I would have been able to actually appreciate/use the difference between what the build offered me and what the Tikka CTR with upgrades cost me.  The difference in what I saved went for more ammo and reloading supplies for 6.5cm so i can dial in the Tikka.  

Overall I really don't think you can go wrong with a CTR based on the price point.  I paid under $875 new for the 24" 6.5 CTR I picked up and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Have a 6.5 CM CTR in a KRG X-Ray and a 223 Varmint (cut and threaded) sitting in a KRG Bravo.

Love both, no regrets - smooth action, nice out of the box accuracy, and a spring from Mountain Tactical gets you a really dialed in trigger as well.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pippinone] [#10]
Have a CTR in 6.5CM that I really like.  Wasn't crazy about the stock, so  I swapped it for an XLR, which I really like.  $10 YoDave trigger spring gets the pull weight down below 2 pounds.  With Hornady ammo five shot 2/3" groups at 100 yards are not that hard to achieve.  Even the cheaper American Gunner stuff is usually sub MOA out of this rifle.

Also, really appreciate the review of the Sako TRG.  Just bought one, but it's still at my FFL waiting for me to pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]

@na1lb0hm

The TRG and Bravo chassis are basically constructed the same from what I can tell.  They both use a "backbone" and then the front and rear sections attach to the backbone.

As far as overall feel to me the TRG wins hands down over the Bravo.  I have XXL hands and skinny fingers and the TRG palm swell is perfect for me in girth and height as is the trigger reach.  The Bravo palm swell is quite a bit skinnier and shorter in height it seems than the TRG.

The benefit of the Bravo is that it's a solid chassis and is "cheap" compared to other options while offering a ton of flexibility compared to even the TRG chassis.

I also HATE the location of the sling swivel on the Bravo as it sits up too high for me and the swivel hits my jaw if I'm not careful so I generally take the sling off when shooting.  That could just be a me thing though.

Despite my ragging on the Bravo a bit though it really is the best bang for your buck chassis out there IMO and I'll continue to buy them in the future.

With the cost of used TRG-22's hovering around $2K and new being $2.5K though they are a helluva deal right now.  If you are looking for a rifle in a standard bolt face (.473") caliber it'd be hard to go wrong with a TRG-22.

I had the AI AT, TRG-22, Bighorn TL-2, and CTR out last night and was playing with them a bit and the TRG-22 feels the most refined out of them all.  The action is slick as snot, the trigger is superb, the chassis fits me perfectly, and it shoots like a laser.  I don't think it's as robust as the AI, however, it is the most enjoyable to shoot.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/StDxo9rAJgGWemj/preview

View Quote

awesome. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Have a TRG-22 already, and don't want my CTR to turn into a discount TRG if I drop it into a bravo, especially  when I already have the real thing. The TRG really does stand in a league of it's own for ~$2k, but I will say my CTR has close to as slick as action as the TRG.

I agree about the bravo though, it does offer a ton of options and flexibility for a really agreeable price.

Sadly in Canada, the price of a new bravo is close to $650 by the time you get it to your door, so I am really thinking hard if I want to build what's essentially a second trg or spend a little more and go lightweight manners to go with my carbon fiber barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]

awesome. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Have a TRG-22 already, and don't want my CTR to turn into a discount TRG if I drop it into a bravo, especially  when I already have the real thing. The TRG really does stand in a league of it's own for ~$2k, but I will say my CTR has close to as slick as action as the TRG.

I agree about the bravo though, it does offer a ton of options and flexibility for a really agreeable price.

Sadly in Canada, the price of a new bravo is close to $650 by the time you get it to your door, so I am really thinking hard if I want to build what's essentially a second trg or spend a little more and go lightweight manners to go with my carbon fiber barrel.
View All Quotes

@na1lb0hm

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/StDxo9rAJgGWemj/preview

Yeah there's no way I'd spend $650 on a Bravo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#13]

Yeah there's no way I'd spend $650 on a Bravo.
View Quote

If it makes it more rational, a CTR is also 50% more up there with CanFlation...And mags are like $200
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

If it makes it more rational, a CTR is also 50% more up there with CanFlation...And mags are like $200
View Quote

Yup. Mags are stupid expensive for the CTR. CANflation sucks sometimes. Makes a guy consider going towards the AICS pattern mags simply for affordability.

Most new CTRs are ~$1300. The used market normally hovers around $1k. The CTR is easily worth the price.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I put my CTR in a bravo and shot the barrel out without ever having to clean it. Until I shot it out it was just ass accurate as my custom built rifles. After cycling the action a tbousand times or so its action was also damn near as smooth as my defiance actions. For an off the shelf rifle they really are awsome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I’d buy another CTR in a heartbeat. I’ve had three different scopes and three different stocks for mine, including a TacA1 chassis.  But I think I’ve found a winning combo in the PST Gen2 and Bravo chassis.  Really great rifle.  I have a hard time buying anything but tikkas anymore.  Knowing you’re gonna get a good one makes it an easy choice
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
CTR 6.5 Creed and dropped it in a Manners T6A.  Paid $80/ea. for spare mags at Eurooptic.  Shooting Hornady 120 Match into one hole at 100y.  

Like: accuracy, trigger, stainless corrosion resistance, magazine system, threaded barrel, smooth action, rail, light recoil compared to .308

Don't like: bolt handle seems a little cheap, have to come off safe to unload chamber, OEM stock is unworkable for me in the prone for any length of time, would prefer more of a matte finish.

Would absolutely recommend a CTR.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
CTR 6.5 Creed and dropped it in a Manners T6A.  Paid $80/ea. for spare mags at Eurooptic.  Shooting Hornady 120 Match into one hole at 100y.  

Like: accuracy, trigger, stainless corrosion resistance, magazine system, threaded barrel, smooth action, rail, light recoil compared to .308

Don't like: bolt handle seems a little cheap, have to come off safe to unload chamber, OEM stock is unworkable for me in the prone for any length of time, would prefer more of a matte finish.

View Quote

Might be the first time I've ever heard of having to take the safety off to work the bolt as a negative.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd prefer the AI 3 position safety, but I am too cheap to spend 4x more.  See page 5

Originally Posted By RePp:

Might be the first time I've ever heard of having to take the safety off to work the bolt as a negative.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd prefer the AI 3 position safety, but I am too cheap to spend 4x more.  See page 5

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RePp:

Yeah there are pluses to being able to manipulate the bolt when it's on safe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#21]

https://i.imgur.com/xkaluqK.jpg

Yup. Mags are stupid expensive for the CTR. CANflation sucks sometimes. Makes a guy consider going towards the AICS pattern mags simply for affordability.

Most new CTRs are ~$1300. The used market normally hovers around $1k. The CTR is easily worth the price.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By robpiat:

https://i.imgur.com/xkaluqK.jpg

Wow, that’s expensive. I don’t remember how much I paid for my mags, but it was a lot less than that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fair2Middlin] [#22]
CTR mags can be bought for under $70. You guys need to try harder.

Never mind, I see you were discussing Canadian prices.

Here’s some in stock for $62
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#23]
My CTR dropped into the At-One stock and I like it...not for everyone.The mountain tactical trigger string, 20MOA rail, and titanium lugs help. It's scary boring to shoot.  I've played to 800 yards.  And with 168/175 it's still boring.  Love it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Love it. Accurate as can be.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I like that the bolt handles are easily replaceable though. No grinding/threading or those goofy KRG bolt on knobs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve got two friends who bought Bergara HMRs and one bought a Ruger RPR. I got the CTR.

The CTR gives up nothing for accuracy on any other choice, and it has a superior mag. Mags are expensive, but they allow loading super long and they are more compact than single stack AICS.

I felt I was pleased with a factory rifle and quality scope, but after installing a KRG bravo, I see how much more ergonomic and comfortable that rifle could be. Great rifle, stupid accurate, beat magazines, and with a KRG, it is super comfy. Overwhelmingly recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Pulling the trigger today on a CTR
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Pulling the trigger today on a CTR
View Quote

Well shoot that rascal and give us a range report...
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Progun1911] [#30]
Here's my CTR with my fathers Bergara Wilderness HMR. The HMR is very nice but heavy ,my CTR is nice and light. I'm really liking my CTR. My father is liking his rifle also and at 77 years old he's like a kid with his new toy.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Once you go tikka you may not go back, they are utterly awesome.  Took mine to a mile recently. It is stunning.  I use it for competition even though I have other cool rifles.  Barrel is getting long in the tooth.  Gonna put another on it and keep running.  May never buy another brand of rifle/action, need I continue?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#33]
My only complaint is the poor finish. My barrel will rust if I touch it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mp_moody:
My only complaint is the poor finish. My barrel will rust if I touch it.
View Quote

That it's the first I have heard of Tikka finish issues.  It makes we wonder about the history of your rifle and barrel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I purchased a used CTR T3 in .223.  Fantastic rifle with an action like butter.

Yeah,  the stock has me considering options but it works and meets my needs.

I liked it so much I ordered a Sporter.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

CTR in 6.5 that I pulled the stock off of and dropped it into a MPA chassis. Burris XTR II 4x20x50mm. Swapped out the bolt handle. YoDave trigger spring and my YHM 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I have the 223. Shoots fantastic!
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 4:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#39]
Does anyone know a good place to get a left handed Tikka CTR in .223?

Edit: found out I can backorder one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top