Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 4:35:33 PM EDT
As the subject says I did ask on another post what rifle to get and was given a lot of good options but I have been thinking should I spend the money on a rifle and a hobby that I'm not sure I will enjoy.

I know the whole buy once cry once. Yet me just starting would I be able to notice the difference between a Tikka CTR with accuracy? Would I be better off saving up or buying a $300 Savage or Mossberg and taking it out and learning how to shoot it?

Just a thought and like to hear what more experienced shooters think about this. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to dip your toes without spending a bunch of $$$, take a look at the TC Compass. They are on sale at KYGC for $260 shipped and on top of that, TC has a $50 mail in rebate going so you will be into it for $210 plus FFL transfer. There isn't a better bang for your buck available IMO. Check out some of the youtube reviews by Johnny's reloading bench and others and you will see that these are reliable and accurate rifles that are a steal at the price. If you get bit by the precision bug, you can always sell the TC later or keep it as a lightweight target/hunting rig and step into something more expensive. The Ruger American Predator offers a lot of value too and is also quite accurate but it is $200 more than the Compass and doesn't appear to do anything better except the newest model takes AICS magazines. Check them out and do some online research. Lots of reviews and info on both of these budget yet still accurate rifles.

TC Compass 6.5 $259.99 with free shipping

Thompson Center Compass 6.5 Creedmoor

Ruger American Predator 6.5 AICS

6.5 Creedmoor At 1000 Yards w/ Ruger American Predator
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in this as well, OP.  My current plans are a Ruger American in 6.5 creedmore, probably the cerakote version in FDE, placed into the Magpul Hunter stock and topped off with a Vortex optic (although the new 6.5 optic from Primary Arms certainly has my attention).  I figure it will be a decent enough hunting rifle that should cover all of my needs yet still within a reasonable budget.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a howa 1500 in 6.5CM in the ee.

60 rounds down the barrel, $399.

That'd be a good place to start.  With a 60 round count, that barrel hasn't even begun to shoot.

The Ruger American gets good reviews as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flinch08] [#4]
Save for the Tikka. Put a fixed SWFA on it and try to burn out the barrel.

I've had a bunch of rifles and in hindsight should have done just that.

ETA: For what it's worth I would pass on 6.5 and buy a .223.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d go with a 308 Savage Ruger or Thompson Center. Just because 6.5 Creed is a superior long range round doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. A cheaper 308 rifle will let you know if you’re into the hobby or not without spending upwards of a thousand dollars. A 308 is just fine unless you’re shooting like 1,000yards anyway, and ammo is more common. If you’re wanting to spend slightly more money for a superior rifle, check out the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flinch08:

View Quote
I would not recommend a 223 for one reason. If you find that you are into shooting, you’ll likely want to upgrade to a higher caliber(from experience). If you dont enjoy it, not too many people want 223 bolt actions when ARs are so cheap and can be just as accurate.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cmcque:

I would not recommend a 223 for one reason. If you find that you are into shooting, you’ll likely want to upgrade to a higher caliber(from experience). If you dont enjoy it, not too many people want 223 bolt actions when ARs are so cheap and can be just as accurate.
View Quote
1000 rounds of .223 is affordable, and if someone is really into it a new barrel isn't a big deal. Or a new rifle. My .223 is one rifle I'll never sell. Too cool. Too accurate.

I believe at this point when I started that buying what I spelled out and 1000 rounds of the heaviest loads it could handle would have put me miles ahead simply because rounds downrange count.

Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you decide to get the Ruger American Predator, I recommend getting the Gen 2 model which uses AICS magaiznes instead of the Ruger proprietary rotary magazines that the original model uses. Ruger part # for the 6.5 RAP AICS rifle is # 26973 and the original that uses the rotary magazine is #6973.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#9]

I would not recommend a 223 for one reason. If you find that you are into shooting, you'll likely want to upgrade to a higher caliber(from experience). If you dont enjoy it, not too many people want 223 bolt actions when ARs are so cheap and can be just as accurate.
View Quote
an AR can't run a 75 at 3000 FPS though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d look hard at the Savage 12 LRP. That was my first. Heavy barrel and nice stock. Plus the thing is wicked accurate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Says you.  A fast twist .223 bolt gun has been on my list for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RKaz1:
I’d look hard at the Savage 12 LRP. That was my first. Heavy barrel and nice stock. Plus the thing is wicked accurate.
View Quote
If i came across a deal for one i would get it...and im not shopping for a new rifle. But this is also about 850-900 used. I bought a Savage 110 tactical. Accustock(kinda cheap), accutrigger, threaded barrel, 20MOA EGW rail, AICS mags for like $625 shipped. Shoots 1/2" groups w/ factory ammo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tomcat11-64] [#13]
+1 on the 223 bolt gun. Tons of fun.

But I still like Remingtons 700's .
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Tikka is a great choice if you don't mind the stock.

I would check out the Bergara HMR. They can be had for $900. Or save a little more for the HMR Pro or LRP (excellent action, TriggerTech trigger, SS match barrel, 8-40 base threads, etc, etc)
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is no one, other than Slevin182, talking about the Savage 110 Tactical or Desert Tactical? I am contemplating buying one over the Ruger American simply for the fact of the Accustock. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Savages may be cheap and ugly as sin but overall they do shoot well above their price range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:41:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#17]

View Quote
That's an easy solution.  Punch it AI and rock 80VLD or 80AMAX (ELD if you didn't stock upon AMAX before they stopped selling them outside loaded ammo) at 3k FPS.  Supersonic past 1k.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Forget the 223, waste of money in a bolt

TC Compass.  Nothing metioned here will outshoot it and not for 209 after rebare!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#19]
You may want to check you local Walmart to see if they have any of the closeout Weatherby Vanguards in the back store room. They are guaranteed sub-moa out of the box. The Select models were 249.99 and the Deluxe is 349.00. Even if you have to settle for a different caliber it's and excellent deal on a well made rifle. The .243 (6mm) is a great round as is the .308 if the 6.5 Creedmoor is not available. It's worth a try.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm looking at the 6.5 creed because I want to try long range shooting I want 1000+ yard rifle.

Yes, I do have a 308 and 223 rifle and it would make it easier just to use them! Yet I'm wanting long range and willing to reload another caliber as long as it serves me and is what I need.

I'm the type that tries to limit my calibers. Yet I feel I need a good long range rifle!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You said you weren't sure if you'd enjoy it. Try to find a cheap or used 223 bolt gun since you already reload that caliber. 223 is 1000yd capable with the right bullet in a bolt gun. If you don't like lr shooting sell it and you're not out of much. If you do, get a more capable rifle, dies etc. and move the optic over.

If you're trying to do more than target shoot at long ranges I'd say get the 6.5 to start but even then you're going to need a lot of practice before you'll be proficient.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#22]
Is a 26” bbl enough to dabble in F-Class?  I wouldn’t be buying it  solely for competition , so I don’t want to buy a single-purpose 30”.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Savages may be cheap and ugly as sin but overall they do shoot well above their price range.
View Quote
Not really. Theres nothing redeeming about a savage these days including price. Far far better options for the same money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RePp:
Not really. Theres nothing redeeming about a savage these days including price. Far far better options for the same money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
What do you think of Bergaras?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

View Quote
They are exceptional. And for 2018 they rolled out a few features to improve on the original designs (B-14 and Premier) that came out several years ago. I’m on the Bergara owners group and I’m amazed at some of the posts by rookie shooters with the B-14. Plenty of B-14 HMR an BMP producing 1/2 MOA 5-shot groups.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, a bit more money then some that have been posted, but the quality is top notch and you will love shooting /owning it..

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-lite-pcr-competition-rifle/
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
I think they're awesome. I always recommend them or a Tikka.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#28]
If i were buying again...

Either this...Which takes aics mags

Or the mossberg predator.

The mag fed ruger America is right there too..

Or, for a budget rifle...The savage 12 fv when it's goes on sale or rebate.

What I did buy was the axis 2 with a heavy barrel and accu trigger. And I dropped another $350 on a boyds stock with bottom metal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Is a 26” bbl enough to dabble in F-Class?  I wouldn’t be buying it  solely for competition , so I don’t want to buy a single-purpose 30”.
View Quote
Absolutely, depending on the twist and your experience with hand loading.
FTR? Kind of a poor man's F-Class that might be a bit more enjoyable as the caliber is limited to .308 and .223 and you aren't going against guys who trailer in their front rests.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nihilsum] [#30]
Edit: Buy a Tikka, Bergara, or Howa. They're all cheap rifles, but doesn't feel like junk unlike most of the other things mentioned here.

You can get Howa threaded heavy barrel action from brownells for close to $400 and put it in whatever chassis or stock you like.

Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

TC Compass.  Nothing metioned here will outshoot it and not for 209 after rebare!
View Quote
That's a pretty strong statement. The value is there, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By nihilsum:
Edit: Buy a Tikka, Bergara, or Howa. They're all cheap rifles, but doesn't feel like junk unlike most of the other things mentioned here.

You can get Howa threaded heavy barrel action from brownells for close to $400 and put it in whatever chassis or stock you like.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

yes sir I get that but I'm basing it off of accuracy vs price.  I don't think it's a precision rifle given the barrel profile however, I don't think the Tikka, Bergara, or Howa are outshooting it.  Using 168 eld I printing .7 on my first outing.  I know I can bring that tighter and I haven't tried working up a load for it.  For 209 after rebate, don't see anyone coming close imho.

If they could do this with a heavier profile barrel, off to the races
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Tikka barreled actions are great.  Their stocks and magazines are craptacular however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top