Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 7:39:25 PM EDT
I would like for you guys to double check me on some measurements I took this afternoon. I was wanting to load 143g Hornady ELD-X bullets today.

Rifle: Thompson Center Compass
Cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor

Base of 143g ELX-X bullet to O-Give Measurements at 0.828" (using the Sinclair bullet hex comparator)
I measured the total length of the 143g ELD-X bullet at 1.434".

Using the Sinclair bullet seating depth tool, I measured from base of brass to the base of the bullet, an average distance of 1.520". This measurement based on brass shot in my rifle.

For my rifle, I either measured:
- 2.348" from base of the brass to the ELD-X bullet touching the lands (using the base of bullet to o-give measurement)
- 2.954" from base of the brass to the tip of the ELD-X bullet when touching the lands (using the total length of bullet measurement)
- 2.993" maximum opening of the magazine with my rifle

I am perturbed with the SAAMI drawing indicating a COAL of 2.825" and the Hornady manual indicating a COL of 2.800" for the ELD-X bullet. Both of these seem shorter than what I measured in my rifle. I recently shot Hornady Precision rifle ammo where the COAL ~2.8135".

My thought was to seat bullets either 0.020" or 0.040" off the landing for starting loads. Based on the measurements of my rifle that would 2.934" (0.020") or 2.914 "(0.040"), does this reasonable?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top