Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2018 3:34:12 AM EDT
Been out of country for a little it, has anybody tried the current batch of long range/precision stocks, I am going to turn one of my MWS's into a dedicated 6.5 and while its ACS does fine,  I think i want something a little more dedicated for that rifle

I know, Magpul updated their PRS, I know LMT has a variant, I know LuthAR has something,  Just looking for some current feedback on whats out there

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have often thought of switching on my carry rifle but the Ace doesn’t have anything to get out of adjustment. I played with a Luth-Ar and even though I like it a lot. I still see boogers with stuff vibrating loose in the Utv’s and vehicles. And anymore it’s hard for me to grab a heavyweight rifle when the light weight Grendel is there. The RPR stock on my .223 version has already vibrated loose in the Utv.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#2]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
Been out of country for a little it, has anybody tried the current batch of long range/precision stocks, I am going to turn one of my MWS's into a dedicated 6.5 and while its ACS does fine,  I think i want something a little more dedicated for that rifle

I know, Magpul updated their PRS, I know LMT has a variant, I know LuthAR has something,  Just looking for some current feedback on whats out there

Thanks
View Quote
I still run an ACS on my precision/Recce build.  It works fine for me and I haven't given any thought beyond curiosity to newer offerings.  Updated PRS is very heavy, but would probably be my choice for pure benchrest or prone long range where lugging a heavy rifle around is not part of the use.  I hunt with this rifle, too, and the ACS is about as heavy as I want to go.

The adjustability of the LuthAR is attractive, but the cheekweld on the ACS is just about optimal for me now.

The ACS friction lock is pretty tight, but there was a very tiny bit of wobble.  I just put a small strip of Velcro (the felt part) on the top inside of the stock before sliding it on the receiver extension and it is extremely tight now.  Almost like a fixed stock, but can move with effort.  99% of the time it stays in one position, anyway.

I would think LMT's DMR stock would be perfect for your MSW 6.5 conversion.  That would be what they sell on the new 6.5 today, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I put str stocks on all my rifles. Cheek weld of the acs weight of the  ctr
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a few of the Luth-AR stocks.  I prefer the fixed MBA-1 over the MBA-4.  The 4 isn't bad if you need the carbine style stock, but I don't like using a tool to remove the wobble.  I love how light they are, and getting everything positioned is easy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Evile:
I put str stocks on all my rifles. Cheek weld of the acs weight of the  ctr
View Quote
My preference as well. Love that stock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of gen2 PRS on both 5.56 and 7.62 precision setups that work well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as stocks go, my precision rifles have worn a bunch just like triggers. The platforms have been on my 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor. My 6mm has had a couple but not as many different as the 6.5's.

The list includes ACS, ACS-L, STR, UBR (Gen 1) and PRS (Gen 2). The PRS's were used the longest amount of time. Nice solid stocks. Heavy,  but since they were on precision rigs I really didn't care.

I've recently replaced the PRS stocks with XLR AR Tactical stocks. Nice and solid with far more adjustability than the PRS's. Both a blessing and a curse.  They take more time to get adjust for the individual, but once done they are right on the money.

Either way,  one of the better switches was from standard buffers to JP SCS. Weights are easily changed and the same buffers can be used on the platforms and the buffer length is handled by a simple spacer. Weights tuned timing very nicely. The sproing sound is completely gone. Shooting even with electronic ears and/or suppressed was actually surprising the first time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I put a UBR (gen 2) on an SBR build and have been really impressed with it.
Seriously considering one for a 224V build I'm about to start.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rcreecer:
I've got a few of the Luth-AR stocks.  I prefer the fixed MBA-1 over the MBA-4.  The 4 isn't bad if you need the carbine style stock, but I don't like using a tool to remove the wobble.  I love how light they are, and getting everything positioned is easy.
View Quote
There's a small alteration you can go to that stops the wobble on the adjustable Luth-AR models like the MBA-3 and MBA-4 without using tools or tightening that little tension knob.

The primary and biggest wobble is due to their ability to fit commercial and milspec extensions.  Oddly, I prefer the MBA-3 carbine version on my long range bolt rifle.  If you get a commercial extension, the stock fits nice and tight without a bunch of putzing.

It makes moving the buttstock stiffer but not to any annoying degree.  It made the buttstock a much nicer and more stable platform for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]
For dedicated match/precision, i like all the adjustments of the Luth-AR. Once adjusted and set, it always puts my eye in perfect alignment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top