Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2019 10:42:00 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations for a spotting scope. Max distance will be 600 yards. Will mostly use it At the range for target shooting at 200-300 yards.
I’m a buy once cry once kind of guy, but I don’t want to spend  extra money for nothin.  I just want a good basic set up with clear enough glass to allow me to see what I’m hitting on paper out to 500 yards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2, a vortex 20-60-65 mm Diamondback, which is a heck of a good scope for the price, and a 27-60-85 razor 2, which is an excellent scope and what I would recommend for 600yards...the older razor if you can find one is still an awesome scope but not quite as good of glass as the new razor..but the price last I saw was about a grand new...The best out there will be a Swarovski, but you will pay dearly for it...
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:45:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Theblakester] [#2]
Thanks.  I was initially considering the diamondback.
If it can see where I’m hitting on shoot N see targets at 600 yards at the gun range in day light then I would be happy.  I just don’t want to get it to find out that it’s good enough glass to do that.

I don’t need it to spot a prairie dog at dusk in the brush at 600 yards
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
@Theblakester

Its gonna be iffy with the diamondback...heck maybe with the razor, but I doubt it...Worse case, if the range will let you..caldwell makes a target cam that sells for about 3 bills...it will go over a mile and it works great for seeing your target, even .17 cal holes....My kids got me one for x-mas a couple years ago..works great...

Here is one on special for 225.....

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/caldwell-target-camera-sight-in.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&msclkid=4cc4bc38fda2146df10de1c2369b7408&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Caldwell%3EShopping&utm_term=4585169650521021&utm_content=Products
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks man. So you set these up near your target and sync it to your phone to view at the bench?
Also, this model claims it will work up to 440 yards, not 600. Is there a different model that I should look at for longer range connection?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,,,I spent what to me was a huge amount on the BEST  Zeiss had to offer about ten years ago. I'm pretty sure that I would have a hard time seeing "holes" in paper at 600 yards. That being said the scope has made our lives better in many many ways. It stays in my truck and goes with us wherever we go. I was an RO at national events using MY scope as opposed to the ones provided. Why? Because my stuff was always better. We use it to watch Bald Eagles eat breakfast. Watching wood ducks in all their beauty up close and personal is awesome! I would encourage you to consider this as a "lifetime" purchase and spend accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Theblakester:
Hey thanks man. So you set these up near your target and sync it to your phone to view at the bench?
Also, this model claims it will work up to 440 yards, not 600. Is there a different model that I should look at for longer range connection?
View Quote
Yes, but it comes with both a receiver and a transceiver, one goes by the target, the other near you..they will transmit up to a mile....

FEATURES
STREAMS LIVE HD VIDEO UP TO 1 MILE AWAY

BREAKS DOWN INTO A COMPACT STORAGE CASE FOR EASY TRANSPORT

INTEGRATED RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM ION BATTERIES FOR UP TO 10 HOURS OF USE PER CHARGE

FEATURES AN EXTERNAL POWER JACK FOR MORE PERMANENT INSTALLATION

COMES WITH A FREE FULL FEATURE APP AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH ANDROID®, IPHONE®, WINDOWS®, KINDLE® AND MOST OTHER TABLETS

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/targets/target-accessories/target-cameras/ballistic-precision-lr-target-camera-system/156726.html
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok cool. So this set up should be pretty legit as long as the connection is strong and no one shoots your camera.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Theblakester:
Ok cool. So this set up should be pretty legit as long as the connection is strong and no one shoots your camera.
View Quote
Yes...I have used mine once at the range, several times at the cabin...has worked flawless...
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again. Went ahead and ordered one
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the TargetVision camera system. I’ve got the LR3 system. Works as advertised. Would work well for your needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top