Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2021 8:20:40 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has had a batch of soft Lapua brass. I purchased 200 sp 6.5 c brass and on the third firing half of it is showing signs of stress at the web. Load is not hot as I test up higher and didn’t feel this load is pushing pressures at all. Load is 40.7 H4350 under a 139 Lapua Scenar with REM 7 1/2.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:16:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not had a problem, but was curious what you observed when you mentioned seeing signs of stress near the web?

Are you seeing loose primers or something worse?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Any chance your bumping the shoulders back too far?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By forensicgun:
Any chance your bumping the shoulders back too far?
View Quote

I measure the shoulder before sizing and after. I shoot for .002-3 of setback. Doubt I have any that would be beyond that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#5]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
What “signs of stress”?
View Quote

The ring is at the web and is enough to hook a finger nail on. These show that ring but were from my max load test. The load I have been using is much lower but now the brass is starting to show the same rings. I am traveling now but when I get home I’ll try to get some good photos. I’ll also add that the ejector swipe was very pronounced whereas it was previously mild. Loads were developed @ 40 degrees and these were shot at 80 degrees. I don’t expect H4350 to be an issue in those temp changes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
OP,

Is this with your 18” gasser?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

The ring is at the web and is enough to hook a finger nail on. These show that ring but were from my max load test. The load I have been using is much lower but now the brass is starting to show the same rings. I am traveling now but when I get home I’ll try to get some good photos. I’ll also add that the ejector swipe was very pronounced whereas it was previously mild. Loads were developed @ 40 degrees and these were shot at 80 degrees. I don’t expect H4350 to be an issue in those temp changes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/A810DC66-EC52-49F2-A368-150F1946715C_jpe-1984467.JPG
View Quote

Damn, looks like that brass has had a hard life...
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
OP,

Is this with your 18” gasser?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:56:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#10]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Damn, looks like that brass has had a hard life...
View Quote

Those cases were the top end of my load testing. The load I settled on was 40.7gr H4350 under a 139 Scenar. That’s the load I am concerned with now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]

That explains everything. Gas guns will beat up brass. I wouldn't use Lapua brass in a gas gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes.

That explains everything. Gas guns will beat up brass. I wouldn't use Lapua brass in a gas gun.

Yep. This is “my guns timing is out of whack” not a brass issue. But it looks like a brass issue.

I assume this gun also has a mid-length gas system?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#13]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Yep. This is “my guns timing is out of whack” not a brass issue. But it looks like a brass issue.

I assume this gun also has a mid-length gas system?
View Quote

Pretty sure LT uses rifle+2 gas system. When I get home I am going to cut a case in half. I am curious what it looks like inside. I can’t detect a groove using a paper clip. But then my hands are kind of numb…
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Those cases were the top end of my load testing. The load I settled on was 40.7gr H4350 under a 139 Scenar. That’s the load I am concerned with now.
View Quote

Of course, being a gas gun explains a lot...hard to justify premium brass on a gas gun...
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Of course, being a gas gun explains a lot...hard to justify premium brass on a gas gun...
View Quote

The Lapua did well in my 556 Tobr. This is the first big block I have run it in. Sounds like I just need to buy some different brass for the gasser.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]

The Lapua did well in my 556 Tobr. This is the first big block I have run it in. Sounds like I just need to buy some different brass for the gasser.
View Quote

Yup. I love Lapua, but I only use it in bolt guns. It’s probably good for 223/5.56 gas guns, but I’d stick to Hornady brass in a 6.5creed gas gun. There’s just too much going on with operation and pressures to risk trashing the expensive brass after 3-4 firings.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Yup. I love Lapua, but I only use it in bolt guns. It’s probably good for 223/5.56 gas guns, but I’d stick to Hornady brass in a 6.5creed gas gun. There’s just too much going on with operation and pressures to risk trashing the expensive brass after 3-4 firings.
View Quote

Learning as I go! Thanks!

Bolt gun is on order so I’ll save the rest of the Lapua brass for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top