Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2019 3:39:11 PM EDT
Comes down to personal preference but curious how many run a single stage on their AR platform precision guns.

I've run one on a bolt gun but for some reason always felt more comfortable with a 2-stage on a semi auto.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
2 stage on any trigger <4lb for me -- I like to know I'm pulling the trigger while I'm pulling it.

Specifically I prefer 75% of the weight on the first stage and 25% on the second.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
2 stage on both for me...
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Always been a fan of 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I like single stage on both bolt and semi.
View Quote
Agree- give me zero take up and a glass rod break any day.

In ARs I’ve exclusively gone to one-piece/cartridge style single stage triggers with straight bows.

Velocity makes an excellent one, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Two-stage in semi. Preferably lighter 1st, heavier 2nd.

Either in bolt. Preferably not the blade safety type.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
2 stage with Semi’s, although the Hiperfire 243gun (now called the Reflex) isn’t bad for a single stage.

Single stage for bolt guns (Timney Calvin Elite/TriggerTech Diamond).
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Single stage in both
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like to run a single stage in my AR's set up for home defense. I like a 2 stage in my AR's set for precision. On my bolt guns I prefer a single stage. my .02
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thebert:
I like to run a single stage in my AR's set up for home defense. I like a 2 stage in my AR's set for precision. On my bolt guns I prefer a single stage.
View Quote
Same here...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Imo, if it's a precision rig, then 2 stage.  Everything else is single stage.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2 stage in my DMR gun.  My AR10 is getting the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Single stage all the way for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer two stage in general, but even more so for a precision semi if it's going to see any sort of use for shooting off barricades. More than a few times I've watched shooters get DQ'd that doubled or tripled running single stage triggers. Never seen a shooter accidentally double with a two stage trigger. I suppose of the reset is short enough and the trigger is light enough it's possible but I've never seen it.

The Geissele HSNM is the best trigger for a precision AR IMO
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
I prefer two stage in general, but even more so for a precision semi if it's going to see any sort of use for shooting off barricades. More than a few times I've watched shooters get DQ'd that doubled or tripled running single stage triggers. Never seen a shooter accidentally double with a two stage trigger. I suppose of the reset is short enough and the trigger is light enough it's possible but I've never seen it.

View Quote
I doubled an M1A with a 2 stage NM trigger off the bench.  I didn't have the weapon tight against my shoulder.

Anything is possible.

I shoot each type equally well and have no issues with either in bolt or semi rifles.  I took my label maker and made a note on the side of each rifle so that I knew which one is installed. This helps avoid confusion on days I am shooting multiple rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#17]
More than a few times I've watched shooters get DQ'd that doubled or tripled running single stage triggers.
View Quote
Interesting.

In all my years of giving classes, attending classes, and training/shooting at work involving barricade work I've never encountered this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Interesting.

In all my years of giving classes, attending classes, and training/shooting at work involving barricade work I've never encountered this.
View Quote
I’ve actually had a 2-stage double tap once. Very odd thing but I rushed the shot and was in a compromised shooting position.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
If I shoot a semi like a bolt gun I tripple every time with an SSA-E. If you run the gun like a semi it never happens.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#20]
For fast engagement shooting (like 3-gun), single stage.  For precision shooting where you'll have a moment of time, 2-stage.

The advantage of 2-stage is you can have a 3.5 lb trigger, and use up the first 1.5 lb in the first stage, meaning an incremental 2# to break.  Making for minimal movement and additional force on that break.  Which means it also breaks right when you tell it to break.   I actually run all my 2-stages at 4.5#, so that they will be High Power competition legal; and again, with the 2lb 2nd stage break, it doesn't actually matter, because it breaks like a 2# trigger.

With single stage, it's all the weight of the trigger all at once; usually with a little more creep as well.

With 2 Stage, you can still run them for fast engagement and just blow through both stages at once, but it effectively means a little more creep compared to a good single stage.  Usually when I'm shooting that fast at run and gun like that though, it doesn't matter, as that's silohette engagement at 10 yards, so who cares.  But when drop down and engaging the gongs real fast at 200 yards, two stage still lets me take a more precise shot than I feel like I can with single-stage.

In the end, personal preference - but that's why 2-stage is so popular.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer 2-stage for both.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two stages on all my ARs....with the exception of my LRP-07.  The LRP has JP's single stage trigger.  It is a nice trigger but I'm about to dump it for another G HSNM.

I've been trying to give the JP trigger a chance but I vastly prefer a good two-stage.  I don't know how to describe it, but the first stage of a two stage trigger helps me with my form and gives me a known reference point before I start the final squeeze.  My shooting brain does better with the reference point.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#23]
2-stage for both.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I prefer a 3.5-4.5 lb 2 stage trigger in my semi autos.

Many good companies out there making great triggers, but Geissele comes to mind every time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I use the 1005 Tactical 2-Stage trigger with reduced power springs.
I get 1.5lb 1st stage and 1lb 2nd stage with no doubles and very affordable price.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Single stage on HD, 3 gun or PCC.

2 stage on longer range guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:19:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#27]
Single stage mil spec weight (smooth and grit free) on my HD.

My precision AR is a “Recce” built around a Lilja match barrel.  The trigger is an SSA-E. About 2.3 lb first stage, light crisp second stage of about 1.2 lbs.  it’s a good choice for that barrel, both for precision shooting and hunting.

No doubles.  But, you can force most ARs and other semi rifles to double is you don’t mount the stock correctly and don’t have proper trigger discipline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top