Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
Hey folks,

I just got a Savage Axis II PRECISION rifle in 6.5 Creed.  I have a YHM Resonator K that I would like to use on it.  Should I convert it to direct thread or use the QD attachment it came with?  Does using the QD attachment affect accuracy when the can is not attached?  I already know the POI will shift when it is not on due to weight, just not sure if the flash hider will change anything.  

I have a 700 SPS tactical that I use an AAC 51t mount on the end but did not notice a change after installation, but I only shoot this gun out to 250-300 max.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I run Area419 Hellfire / Sidewinder on my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are swapping the suppressor around alot on different guns I am a fan of direct thread. Less weight, a little less length.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all, I will order a direct thread attachment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drywall5:
I run Area419 Hellfire / Sidewinder on my rifles.
View Quote
The Maverick pairs perfectly with that combo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:26:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXGUNNER308] [#5]
Always direct thread.  That QD stuff is a gimmick.  Numerous people have shot their suppressor off their rifle due to improper "QD" attachment mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#6]
I have mostly DT for the majority of my suppressors, but I prefer the TOMB mount of SAS or TBAC. The tomb mount is rock solid and doesn’t loosen over various heat cycles and movement from my experience. In a match setting, of shooting 10+ shots and then walking 300+yds, I’ve noticed that the DT suppressors can loosen just a bit, which impacts POI if not checked/secured. It’s no issue if you check, but the tomb mount seems to eliminate any loosening.

Not sure if the QD functions as well as the tomb mounts, but if not, DT would be the way to go for your particular can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had zero issues with my Dead Air keymount. A good taper mount like the Dead Air or TBAC...is a non issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By alacop:
Unless you are swapping the suppressor around alot on different guns I am a fan of direct thread. Less weight, a little less length.
View Quote

Once I acquired enough cans that only a couple get moved I went DT on cans that have that options
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#9]
No issue with ASR here. For a dedicated use, it offers no advantage over DT.

It is repeatable though, and of course the brake will in theory prolong the service life of the can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Just depends on the can/mount.  My TiTan QD is just as accurate as any direct thread can I've used.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Thunderbeast is the gold standard for precision suppressors.

Their brake attach is not a QD, but it gives the can more surface area to mate up against.

Their SR brake attach is bullet proof and yet still repeatable and solid.
View Quote

First, I believe TBAC makes a fine suppressor and DT setup.  That said, if surface area mate-up is your "gold standard", Ron Allen's AE series of reflex style suppressors would surpass TBAC in that area as they contact at the break and on the shoulder collar at 2 points while also mitigating the forward center of gravity shift by bringing the can back over the host barrel approx. 4-6"s.  I've got several (legacy) OPS Inc and AE cans and they are without a doubt the best cans I have ever used.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no doubt that TBAC has a reputation for the being the best suppressor available for a precision rifle. Over 40% of PRS shooters that use suppressors all choose TBAC.

However, TBAC clearly states that their CB brake mounted suppressor is just as accurate and repeatable as their direct thread model.

“The CB mount and direct thread mount have equivalent accuracy and repeatability.”
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a TBAC QD suppressor and mount on several rifles. If I had to do it over again I'd likely go DT. The suppressor gets hotter faster than any can I've used. Its light weight and titanium are totally different than the heavy steel cans I've used. Once its hot, it can be very difficult to get off the brake. Like 20-25 rounds worth. I have take to putting a little breakfree on the taper and that helps.

I typically take 3-4 rifles to the range and shoot 20-30 rounds each. My present view is DT is better for this.

If you want to run a brake aside from the can, the TBAC system is great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I run a Surefire SOCOM SPS on my 6.5cm. No issues once zero was verified.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no idea however I have a dead air sandman S in jail so I put a muzzle break on everything I want to use the can on. Couple months and I’ll order another can probably something lite and direct thread for my 6.5 creedmoor
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#18]
My vote is a taper mount brake.    Sometimes it really helps to be able to shorten the rifle those few inches.   Although to be honest I have a grand total of one (1) unsuppressed shot fired through my precision setups.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
There is no doubt that TBAC has a reputation for the being the best suppressor available for a precision rifle. Over 40% of PRS shooters that use suppressors all choose TBAC.

However, TBAC clearly states that their CB brake mounted suppressor is just as accurate and repeatable as their direct thread model.

“The CB mount and direct thread mount have equivalent accuracy and repeatability.”
View Quote

When their rep showed up at our shoot he said brake mount won’t come loose but direct threads pretty much all of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top