User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:40:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Might throw it on the roof, bolt it down and climb aboard to check if anything needs to be reinforced.
You could just prime and paint with exterior house paint. It will hold up to a driving rain.
I'm not really worried about rot with the pressure treated wood and considering it will likely live inside it probably won't be an issue. I just don't want it absorbing water while driving in a rain storm and weighing a ton.
I want something for right now rather than waiting 2 months for it to dry enough for paint to stick.

Again, I could be wrong but from what I have read pressure treated needs time to dry before painting. I assume the chemicals won't let the paint stick.
View Quote
Crappy pictures but I'm not going to pull it out of the garage just to take a pic.

I am going to cut 4" off the extension piece as my feet are still on the shooting mat in this position. The extension weighs too much and bows the tubing a bit.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
That's cool.  I'd love to buy an old beater truck or SUV and make it into a shooting platform.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
Originally Posted By Cixelsyd:
That's cool.  I'd love to buy an old beater truck or SUV and make it into a shooting platform.

CHRIS
View Quote
The nice thing about doing it to a beater would be not worrying about the finish on anything.
The only thing contacting my vehicle with this is rubber and nothing has been modified.

On a beater I might not even have the extension for my feet, I would just rest them on the wetbox cover but I don't want to scuff it.

Also it wouldn't have to fit in my garage.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You have a rack.  Find a double length pallet. Paint it well then add a layer of plywood over the pallet.

Buddy of mine did this for more carrying capacity.  It worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I think I'll just go with Thompson's Waterseal for now, then in a couple months when it has had time to dry maybe I paint it. Will that seal in moisture or just repel water?

Bedliner, I don't know, might add quite a bit of weight, maybe no more than paint, never used it before.
View Quote
I don't know if I have ever painted over waterseal. I do remember spraying on more waterseal when the area no longer beaded water.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
Took it for a drive today everything seemed to be solid. The tubes didn't flop in the wind I don't think.
I may run some legs down to the roof in front.

Everything bolted down, left is the 2x4 back extension that the bipod will sit on. Front is my target stand upside down. Middle is the front extension. Right is the 2x4 to hang the target that goes in the stand.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking 7 feet up on a big solid vehicle(like a sail) may have quite a bit more movement.....of course if the wind is blowing the vehicle around I probably won't have much luck shooting.
View Quote
You may also find, that when you squirm around aiming, it takes the vehicle several seconds to damp out the induced vibrations.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
4 jack stands and a floor jack might be handy and quick to stabilize the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zach_:
4 jack stands and a floor jack might be handy and quick to stabilize the vehicle.
View Quote
Ha, I'm going to need a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#10]
I think I am done with it other than sealing or painting.

Won't be able to actually shoot from it for a while, not sure I want to set it up at my local range. They are pretty easy going but.....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#11]
Found a use for old bipod feet, legs to support the front.
Attachment Attached File

Some threaded rod with the center couple inches of thread turned down so I don't have to twist it all the way.
Attachment Attached File

Threaded all the way in and locked in place from transporting.
Attachment Attached File

One of the legs and the top of the target stand sticking down through the platform for transporting.....and fitting under my garage door opening.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s looking cooler by the day! Good idea bunji corded stuff down. That was one of my concerns knocking stuff around. You might add a couple of air bags and a 12 volt air compressor to stiffen up the suspension when you get ready to park and party!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
That's looking cooler by the day! Good idea bunji corded stuff down. That was one of my concerns knocking stuff around. You might add a couple of air bags and a 12 volt air compressor to stiffen up the suspension when you get ready to park and party!
View Quote
I didn't want that Labradar going over the edge. I will probably get a couple carabiners for my Kestrel and range finder to tether them to the tie downs as well.

Looking through the scope it seemed pretty solid in the wind on the beach but that is a pretty steady wind.

I do have air bags for load leveling and carry a 12volt Viair compressor for reinflating tires, so pumping those bags up to stiffen is an option.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't want that Labradar going over the edge. I will probably get a couple carabiners for my Kestrel and range finder to tether them to the tie downs as well.

Looking through the scope it seemed pretty solid in the wind on the beach but that is a pretty steady wind.

I do have air bags for load leveling and carry a 12volt Viair compressor for reinflating tires, so pumping those bags up to stiffen is an option.
View Quote
Since you have a hitch, make a "foot" that you can slide into the receiver hitch after airing up the bags then deflate until it is solidly planted... no more issues with movement....
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Since you have a hitch, make a "foot" that you can slide into the receiver hitch after airing up the bags then deflate until it is solidly planted... no more issues with movement....
View Quote
That's a good idea. I have an unused have a hitch ball mount.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I dig it, nicely done
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I said, “The beach is CLOSED!”

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Good work.
Have you totaled up parts and time?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#19]
Good work.
Have you totaled up parts and time?
View Quote
Not including the router I bought and the ladder, both I can use around the house, $372. Time, who knows?

Just spent $60(included in the cost above) on RV step stabilizers and U bolts to mount them.

Going off AKSnowRider's idea, I will place these stabilizers under the frame on each side and under the hitch ball mount then let the air out of the airbags to rest vehicle on these rather than the suspension. Hope it works.

Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#20]
Got three of the step stabilizers and it seems to stiffen things quite nicely. Just adjust them up to the frame in three places and then remove air from the bags.

Found a place to store them under the platform in the rear saving needed interior cargo space(and no height added to the top).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Got three of the step stabilizers and it seems to stiffen things quite nicely. Just adjust them up to the frame in three places and then remove air from the bags.

Found a place to store them under the platform in the rear saving needed interior cargo space(and no height added to the top).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/2018-09-10_07-667126.JPG
View Quote
Cool! Now you just need some free time to go shoot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
The place to shoot is the issue for me these days not the time.

Had a great place only 3 hours away(lol) but somebody screwed that up for everyone(I don't know the details). My long range shooting has gone from 8 or so times a year to 1 time.

I am hoping to get out of this state within a couple years to fix that problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Had a great place only 3 hours away(lol) but somebody screwed that up for everyone(I don't know the details). My long range shooting has gone from 8 or so times a year to 1 time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Man that Suck's! There's a clear cut for sale on the mountain but it's not big enough to go past 600 yards price is good. But terrain up here is killer finding spots to get past 800 yards and then the price goes up if it's anywhere near civilization. Then the other con is jobs are few and far so most people travel for decent work. Now other than that land prices are not terrible if you take your time and look. There's a rumor going around that a local timber company is fixing to dump some land. But they usually clear cut it to nothing first.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Man that Suck's! There's a clear cut for sale on the mountain but it's not big enough to go past 600 yards price is good. But terrain up here is killer finding spots to get past 800 yards and then the price goes up if it's anywhere near civilization. Then the other con is jobs are few and far so most people travel for decent work. Now other than that land prices are not terrible if you take your time and look. There's a rumor going around that a local timber company is fixing to dump some land. But they usually clear cut it to nothing first.
View Quote
My plan is southern AZ. Land is much cheaper and there is state forest land to shoot on as well. Would still have mild winters and very important, fewer people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:16:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reelserious] [#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By reelserious:
you are over thinking  it. Just get this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018130611/legacy-shooting-products-shooting-bench
View Quote
Damn, there are reviews so people actually bought it for $400+.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reelserious] [#27]
I have one, very very solid and I can shoot anywhere I want now and not have to lay in mud/dirt/fireants etc.  Get a drummers stool and you have a 3 minute setup to shoot in comfort and complete stability.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By reelserious:
I have one, very very solid and I can shoot anywhere I want now and not have to lay in mud/dirt/fireants etc.  Get a drummers stool and you have a 3 minute setup to shoot in comfort and complete stability.
View Quote
My rifles are setup for prone shooting, if I must I can shoot seated upright but avoid it if possible. When I shoot from a bench I still lay as prone as possible on the bench and don't use a seat.

Finding a 1300-1400 yard strip of land in nature that is flat enough to lay prone or sit on a bench on the ground and still see the target isn't easy, that is why I wanted to have the higher position.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
makes sense, best of luck. The work you have done so far looks good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]
My plan is southern AZ. Land is much cheaper and there is state forest land to shoot on as well. Would still have mild winters and very important, fewer people.
View Quote
Amen to the fewer people!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
That came out pretty good. Yeah with a shooting position that high you could easily find ELR spots. lots of rolling terrain out here. looks flat till you go prone and everything disappears. lol even from a table you often lose your target to the terrain. and with all the damn creosote bushes you have to find a lane to your target. that elevation would fix all of that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#32]
Originally Posted By garred8787:

That came out pretty good. Yeah with a shooting position that high you could easily find ELR spots. lots of rolling terrain out here. looks flat till you go prone and everything disappears. lol even from a table you often lose your target to the terrain. and with all the damn creosote bushes you have to find a lane to your target. that elevation would fix all of that.
View Quote
I'm under contract right now on 12 acres, I have 30 days.

I can see my shooting spot from my deck.
........and of course, I will have my own 100yd range....from my deck.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garred8787] [#33]
nice! Time to get a suppressor if you don't have one that way you do disturb your "neighbors"

100 yards is childs play for you. Would be a waste of those 230gr bergers. Time to build a small bore gun

A 9mm bolt gun would be a riot on a 100yd range with steel setup
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#34]
nice! Time to get a suppressor if you don't have one that way you do disturb your "neighbors"

100 yards is childs play for you. Would be a waste of those 230gr bergers. Time to build a small bore gun

A 9mm bolt gun would be a riot on a 100yd range with steel setup
View Quote
Over in the hills would be for long range but it's still handy to have a 100yd range for other stuff.

My current 0-200 yd range is a 40 minute drive each way so stepping out on the deck to shoot will be nice.

I was just thinking this morning about suppressors. At my current range it makes no sense because of the others without them.  Shooting alone it makes a lot more sense.

I will also have a good excuse to upgrade my cartridge choices.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Man, the shit we do to do the shit we love...
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#36]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/2018-11-02_05_03_36_jpg-725064.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sweet land is addictive it has a way of multiplying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Shit. I feel guilty for complaining about a 1 to 2.5 hour trip one way to shoot long range. The problem is that you never know if it will be 1 or 2.5 hours.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
The Great State Of Texas will miss you.

Did you really shoot on the beach?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I just need to know where you're able to shoot by the seaside!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#40]

Did you really shoot on the beach?
View Quote
Ha, no it was just a secluded place to set up so as to not cause alarm.... and see how steady it was in the wind.

I didn't want to do it in my driveway with neighbors all around me.

People do shoot out there but aren't suppose to. I'm not going risk it.

Next month I'll finally get to try the platform out hopefully.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#41]
Finally got to try it out and it worked great. I had 12-17mph winds but they were from 6:00-7:00 and didn't move the vehicle so I didn't need the stabilizers.

By the time I figured out a safe target placement that had several shooting positions out to 1250yds it was getting late. I was able to shoot at 608yds, 771yds and 850yds, it worked well and was simple to move and setup at the next location.

You can see it's just high enough to get me above the brush. There is no way shooting from the ground or bench would work at several distances.
Kind of a bad pic but my plate is directly behind the Labradar on side of the hill.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I had a bunch of shit to do at the house so I only got out the one time but I'll be set for next time with all the "scouting" already done.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, nice work.

I guess it's unsafe to just drive up the mountain some and shoot down into the valley/flats?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
OP, nice work.

I guess it's unsafe to just drive up the mountain some and shoot down into the valley/flats?
View Quote
The problem is finding a semi flat place to shoot, everything is at a 20-30 degree angle. The target stand only needs a 1'x1.5' flat(which I had to dig), I would need about 8'x 3' to lay prone which would be a bitch.
But anyway you can see how it is much easier just to drive the shooting platform and gear to the next distance rather than moving the target. It takes 30 seconds to drive a hundred yards down the trail.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool setup!  Where is that?  Public or private land?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#45]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
Cool setup!  Where is that?  Public or private land?
View Quote
National forest land in AZ. Drive where ever, setup your target and shoot.

That is why I bought a place there. Area is 20 minutes from my place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
National forest land in AZ. Drive where ever, setup your target and shoot.

That is why I bought a place there. Area is 20 minutes from my place.
View Quote
Damn I miss AZ and all the public land.  Enjoy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top