Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2019 1:25:14 PM EDT
What's the best option to start with when looking at shooting bags? I know I'll have to find what works best for me. AR-10 off a bench (perhaps prone) with a bipod. So many different sizes and configurations. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not about 'what works best for me'.

You should be asking 'what works best for the rifle'. That would be the Cadlwell Deadshot or something similar. It's all about the fabric on top. If the rifle slips inconsistently, accuracy will suffer. A leather bag will grab sometimes and sometimes not. The Caldwel has some Nylon looking stuff on top. Whatever it is, it's always consistent.

Or
You can also ask 'what works best for my shoot conditions'. Since you want to use a bipod some of the time, I would suggest using one all the time. Keeping a bipod attached all the time also prevents those awkward times when you get to the range and discover you forgot and left the front bags at home.

There's also a little science when shooting from a bipod. The best way is to lean into a little so the rifle can recoil the same

I don't use front rest anymore unless it's to sight in a rifle I'm not going to put a bipod on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you decide on a bipod, I've ended up using only one kind. The Harris 9-13, swivel, notched leg bipod. Make sure you get the swivel lever as you'll use it a lot more than you think.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 4 bags I use based on specific gun needs, but all 4 came from Triad Tactical, all 4 have been great, most used is the triad wedge...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 sets of the caldwell Deadshots. They work great
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer an Armageddon gear bag by far.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
WieBad Bags are awesome. I have the Mini Fortune cookie, the Mini Range Cube & the flat Nylon Loop Bag. I think I paid $150 shipped for all 3. Lots of color options or even custom options.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I have 4 bags I use based on specific gun needs, but all 4 came from Triad Tactical, all 4 have been great, most used is the triad wedge...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/fullsizeoutput_3be_jpeg-1063432.JPG
View Quote
I've got the one on the left, works for me...
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the Brownells shot bags. Filled tube socks with sand and knotted them. Cinch the bags up over the tube socks when you have your desired fill.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RePp:
I prefer an Armageddon gear bag by far.
View Quote
I used a sock with popcorn for years and just got my first AG bag...wow, I can't even describe how much better a good bag is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a small TAB Gear bag and an Armageddon Gear sticky game changer and those cover everything for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
Your welcome :)
View Quote
Uh thanks? I could buy a new gun at those prices.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Tab gear rear bag
AG game changer
Wiebad Nameless Bag, with Pump pillow filled to my tastes

Also have AG x-wing, that I rarely use.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
You can easily make your own. I have for years for shooting matches. Most commercial bags I found overfill and make it hard to use the rear bag as it's intended. I get a sock and fill it with poly pellets aka doll fill which can be found at any arts and craft store or Walmart or the Internet. Fill it to your liking, cut the sock and sew top. Doesn't have to be perfect stitches. Then I slide that in another sock and so he same cut and sew and I put shoe goo on the stitches for protection. I also started aewing on a piece of 550 cord to attach it to the rifle for when moving in matches but you don't have to.

Also if you don't have a bipod I agree with the Harris notched  legs and swivel but recommend a 6-9" height. It's a better height for bench or prone. Also a KMW Pod loc is a must.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19859/bag1-846108.jpg
View Quote
^ This

Made my own bag using poly pellets, pantyhose (liner) and an old sock. It covers my needs as a rear bag or barricade support bag. Also running an Atlas PSR and a KAC precision bipod equipped with talons on my match rigs (bolt gun and semi-auto). I recently purchased a Traust position bag, but I have yet to run it in a match.

If you're considering a bipod I have a spare 9-13" swivel bipod with notched legs. It's anodized tan/brown and made by Caldwell, but it looks and performs exactly like a Harris.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Wiebad mini fortune cookie with the grippy bottom is my favorite, I also have some Armagedon gear stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]

I like the Wiebad bags too. I typically use a bipod on the front then use a bag under the heel. The Mini Tac Pad works great for me. The Loop Bag is good to use too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cass:

I like the Wiebad bags too. I typically use a bipod on the front then use a bag under the heel. The Mini Tac Pad works great for me. The Loop Bag is good to use too.
View Quote

Meant to post a link:

https://wiebad.com/wiebad-shooting-bags-gear-1/?sort=featured&page=2

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
For a rifle without a bipod, I like the Caldwell TackDriver. I got the "filled' version.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/bag-rests/

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smid] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

Went with this with after posting the same question on snipershide. I emailed and they worked through what I’ll be using it for a which model would be best for me. Their customer service is outstanding, they’ll tweak and modify the bag to work for you if it doesn’t. Mine should be in next week, but there’s more than enough solid reviews to convince me it’ll be great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top