Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 6:44:06 PM EDT
I want to shoot my .308 bolt gun & AR10  off a backpack (not at the same time). I have a place all to myself where I can shoot steel out to about 800 yards from a number of directions. I want to walk out with the gun and backpack for the day and shoot at different distances. The backpack would need to hold magazines/ammo, range finder, IFAK, binoculars, knife, food, water, etc. for the day. I may supplement it with a chest rig for the AR10.

Right now I have an old LAPG 3 day pack I was thinking of using,  but it may be too big and too cheap for this use.  What backpack do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd start with the 3day bag to see how things go.
I've got a box full of "perfect" bags that ended up not doing what I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I like ALICE packs and external frame packs in general.  Mind your muzzle, gas cuts can shred bags before you know it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stryfe:
I'd start with the 3day bag to see how things go.
I've got a box full of "perfect" bags that ended up not doing what I wanted.
View Quote

Good advice. Did you ever find one that worked, assuming you were using it for the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By battlemidget:
I like ALICE packs and external frame packs in general.  Mind your muzzle, gas cuts can shred bags before you know it.
View Quote

Both rifles have short barrels so I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:

Good advice. Did you ever find one that worked, assuming you were using it for the same thing?
View Quote

I was speaking in generalities.
I have packs that would work for shooting off of. I just don't

I'll give you an example. I bought this CamelBak day pack years ago.
Turns out I don't care for bladder. So back to water bottles, but the CamelBak bag doesn't have bottle pockets.
Into the box.
I bought a bag with Molle webbing on it and added a couple insulated bottle holders.
Same compartment layout, even has a spot for a bladder if I change my mind. But I can add any kind of bottle holder, or other pouch, I want on the side.
Sometimes you just need to find what works for you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KTM300XCW] [#7]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Are you hunting where trying to keep weight down or doing something where you need to shoot off a pack?
View Quote

I am trying to keep weight to a minimum and only carry what I really need for a couple of days in the woods/field. Given some of the ranges I will be shooting I will need a decent rest, so the backpack will pull double duty as both storage and a shooting platform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top