Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2020 3:20:38 PM EDT
Bought a  Burris Fullfield (4.5x14x/42} new in the box from a guy that needed cash, I wasn't in need for a scope ,paid  $150.00, and ben sitting on it for years. I said WTH, so I picked a new
Savage Axis .308 for $380.00. I have this pretty nice scope, but I'm uncertain whether to cantilever it or put it on rings. For years my RRI carbine has been dinging steel targets from 650m. Wanted to reach out a little farther to folks that know more than me. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
One-piece mounts just raise the scope up unnecessarily high. Just put it in rings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#2]
Definitely rings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Rings, generally you want to keep the scope close to the bore with a bolt action - especially if it doesn't have an adjustable cheek rest.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
One-piece mounts just raise the scope up unnecessarily high. Just put it in rings.
View Quote
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Rings, generally you want to keep the scope close to the bore with a bolt action - especially if it doesn't have an adjustable cheek rest.
View Quote
LOL, they do make different height mounts, absolutely no reason you can't mount a scope at the exact same height with either type...

OP I used to always use rings...they work, they do the job, but I now use mounts, and the reason is simple..Zero fucking alignment issues, Zero load on the scope tube as long as the mount is worth a shit, Zero need to lap the rings, way less affected by a crappy fit between the action and the rail, and much better chance of removing it from the rifle and reinstalling with little  to no zero change...

Either will work, but a quality mount does offer some advantages over quality rings...
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I should clarify, I've got no issues with one piece mounts specifically designed for bolt guns, like the DNZ game reaper. I dislike using one piece mounts that are primarily designed for other systems and raise the scope height.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top