Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2022 10:36:24 AM EDT
It seems like 10 years ago, Savage 10 or 110 was the latest greatest mouse trap out there. User adjustable trigger, barrel change, bolt face change, what was not to like?

Yet here we are in 2022. I'm not seeing a lot of wide spread use in the long range game. I realize press fit and ramage barrels change the equation for other action types, but did Savage just not live up to it's potential?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:45:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNZ71] [#1]
Savage has had that format for as long as I remember. I bought a Savage FP10 20+ years ago. It shoots very well. I friend of mine shot a 3 shot group with it at 100 yards all shots touching, a one hole clover. He bought one just like it the next day. I recently upgraded the glass and put into a chassis. Very accurate budget rifle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:54:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#2]
I like Savage just fine for long range. aftermarket items are limited for it though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the issue for competition shooters is bolt throw and smoothness. I don't shoot competitions though. Love my savages.

So wait to see how the straight pulls do. They might start showing due to follow up shot speed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Savage actions feel like garbage once you've handled a custom action or high end factory rifle (Sako TRG, AI, *not* Desert Tech).  They also don't have the greatest reputation for reliability and Savage abandoned older actions after they were sold so parts for them aren't available.

I had Savage (and Desert Tech) rifles.  I sold them and don't miss them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd build on a Savage any day over a Remington or clone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jetpig:
I'd build on a Savage any day over a Remington or clone.
View Quote

What action(s) do you consider to be "clones" of Remington that you wouldn't use?

I can't actually think of an actual Remington action copy but there are tons of custom R700 footprint actions that are head and shoulders better than a Savage action.

Bighorn, Zermatt, GA Precision, Defiance, etc. are all objectively better actions than a Savage in many ways including bolt lift, extractor design, rigidity, etc.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with Savage actions.......strong,accurate,reasonably priced. They’re just not perceived as “tacticool”. Folks want to buy a Rem action and put $600 more into it to “fix” it so they have a “sniper rifle”.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By exhogflyer:
Nothing wrong with Savage actions.......strong,accurate,reasonably priced. They’re just not perceived as “tacticool”. Folks want to buy a Rem action and put $600 more into it to “fix” it so they have a “sniper rifle”.
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear they have ejection problems when run fast, I know the 110s have feeding problems, thus keeps them out of competitions.

I hate how many changes they've made to the actions.  I have a 12 year old model 10 that I'm not sure I can get bottom metal for, or what stock options there are for it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
I hear they have ejection problems when run fast, I know the 110s have feeding problems, thus keeps them out of competitions.

I hate how many changes they've made to the actions.  I have a 12 year old model 10 that I'm not sure I can get bottom metal for, or what stock options there are for it.
View Quote

My model 12 will sometimes fail to throw the cartridge all the way out. That is an issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By exhogflyer:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
2005 10FP LE2b (MCM A3) and Model 12 VLP in 22-250.

Both are very accurate and I can’t complain with the $1450 I spent for both NIB rifles.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top