Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2020 12:20:38 AM EDT
Pretty much what the title says, I have a savage 10FP in .308 and would like to swap it to .223. Is the barrel and bolt face lug all I will need to change? I know barrel will need to be headspace but is there anything else I’m missing?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You will also need a 223 bolt baffle as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If it’s a detachable mag then either 223 mags or just bend the feed lips of your 308 mags to hold the 223 cases.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akxx:
If it’s a detachable mag then either 223 mags or just bend the feed lips of your 308 mags to hold the 223 cases.
View Quote

No. Don't bend .308 magazines in an attempt to use it for .223.

I think the OP is taking the long way around the barn. If you want a .223 Savage rifle then buy one. Sell the .308 to help finance it. What you are proposing is a complete rebuilding of your current rifle.

Savage actions are available with the proper bolt if you want to build a .223 from scratch.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akxx] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

What you are proposing is a complete rebuilding of your current rifle.

View Quote

I get it— that’s the standard arfcom answer: “get both/get another one.”  However, the draw of Savage rifles is the easy ability to do things at home—swappable bolt heads and DIY barrel changes. I can swap calibers on my Savage in less than 30 mins, including perfect head spacing.

Of course an easier to swap setup is to buy a dedicate bolt set up for .223. Or buy a .223 rifle, as you stated.  But that’s not what OP asked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top