Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTD] [#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The boy likes it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#2]
Nice pics.

What's the objective size of the scope you're using (looks like a 50mm) and what height rings?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Talyn:
Nice pics.

What's the objective size of the scope you're using (looks like a 50mm) and what height rings?
View Quote
40mm

low rings.

.925" to center I think.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#4]
Thx!

Did you adjust the trigger any?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx!

Did you adjust the trigger any?
View Quote
Not yet. It's great as is. I'm going to play with it more this weekend when I have some time sans children. Local shop doesn't have any match ammo so I'll just be shooting some old federal and CCI though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Much love for Bostons, have five. The rifles look good side by side.

Originally Posted By VTDefender:
Fun lil plinker so far. I brought it home this morning....bore sighted it and have been bouncing frozen Boston terrier turds around the yard with CCI quiets at 25-50yds. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26478/7395BBA3-4485-414B-89DB-2A2CE8B906FC-421267.JPG

Will put better glass on it eventually but I had this one laying around.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jimmyc2112:
View Quote
We have a Boston and a Great Dane right now. A Boston will always be part of the family.

the rifle though is going back to ruger on Monday. There's an issue with handguard alignment. It's tilted slightly upwards and not parallel with the barrel.

two week turnaround is the quote. We will see. It's a bit of a bummer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By strat81:

I'm sure he's basing that on the reports of atrocious accuracy from the newer Ruger rifles such as the Precision and American.  
View Quote
Evidently you do not own one of these guns. If you could come to North Carolina, I would gladly out shot you with my American Target.

But I would buy you a beer afterwards
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
A local shop has them for $409. I wasn't too interested in one after looking at pics, but liked it more than expected in person. I think I'll be getting one sometime this year. The rifle felt heavier than it looks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If they'd just step up and make it in a 17wsm or at least 17 HMR then I'd be on it, but I'm not giving 400$ for a 22 LR :-D
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Bummer to hear about the rifle. Ruger will make it good (doesn't help with the PITA).

I've had Bostons for the last 19 years. Currently three, seven month old puppies and the mom and dad. All pups staying.

We have a Boston and a Great Dane right now. A Boston will always be part of the family.

the rifle though is going back to ruger on Monday. There's an issue with handguard alignment. It's tilted slightly upwards and not parallel with the barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jimmyc2112:

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I fingered one a little at the LGS. Sort of want to make it a poor man's Anschutz smallbore rifle, with Williams/Lyman apertures and Lipski riser. Main concern is if the cheek pad will be too far back for sling shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TactEng:
Evidently you do not own one of these guns. If you could come to North Carolina, I would gladly out shot you with my American Target.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TactEng:
Originally Posted By strat81:
I'm sure he's basing that on the reports of atrocious accuracy from the newer Ruger rifles such as the Precision and American.  

Please send your sarcasm meter in for calibration.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I fingered one a little at the LGS. Sort of want to make it a poor man's Anschutz smallbore rifle, with Williams/Lyman apertures and Lipski riser. Main concern is if the cheek pad will be too far back for sling shooting.
View Quote
I bet it would work. There's a very good amount of adjustment fore and aft for the cheek piece.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet it would work. There's a very good amount of adjustment fore and aft for the cheek piece.
View All Quotes
+1

watched a review last night and it looks like it has a ton of adjustment
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Damnit I haven't even got the  .223rem RPR off lay away and now you planted a new idea.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate the range and ammo reports! Mine should be here Monday $403 shipped. Have a Vortex Diamondback optic I think will work great on it. Been shooting a lot of Aguila in my 10/22 at steel challenges so going to try out some Aguila match sportsmans guide had for $48/500, but I did also order some edge to see what the difference in ammo does in this thing. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By golfcarz:
A local shop has them for $409. I wasn't too interested in one after looking at pics, but liked it more than expected in person. I think I'll be getting one sometime this year. The rifle felt heavier than it looks.
View Quote
Same here.  That barrel is a beast!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked mine up and put the optic on it last night. Looking forward to getting to the range and seeing how it does!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 3GunSteve:
Picked mine up and put the optic on it last night. Looking forward to getting to the range and seeing how it does!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/DSC03113_e2-455065.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/DSC03110_e2-455066.JPG
View Quote
Looks sharp.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
@VTDefender

Is that a 15 or 25 round magazine?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#23]
BX15.

I just bought another.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3GunSteve] [#24]
Got it to the range today. Ammo wise I shot Fiocchi Exacta Winter - 40gr, 1120fps as it's the first ammo I ordered that came in

I felt myself pull one and I'm no PRS shooter by any means as I'm just getting into it, but I think it shots great, 5 shot group at 50 yards below. I also learned I need to get some regular paper targets as the splatter targets didn't really cut it. Put 150 rounds or so through it today. I have some Ely match ammo coming in by the weekend and I'll get it back to the range and shoot some more before my first match with it this Sunday! For $400 I think it will do what I'm after and if not my kid can use it and I'll get a 455 to build out

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice shooting Steve.

That should work just fine for Sundays match.

See you there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
BX15.

I just bought another.
View Quote
Got it.  I will have to buy a bunch of those.  I’m, unfortunately, a mag whore.  I have a bunch of the 25 rounders.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Got it to the range today. Ammo wise I shot Fiocchi Exacta Winter - 40gr, 1120fps as it's the first ammo I ordered that came in

I felt myself pull one and I'm no PRS shooter by any means as I'm just getting into it, but I think it shots great, 5 shot group at 50 yards below. I also learned I need to get some regular paper targets as the splatter targets didn't really cut it. Put 150 rounds or so through it today. I have some Ely match ammo coming in by the weekend and I'll get it back to the range and shoot some more before my first match with it this Sunday! For $400 I think it will do what I'm after and if not my kid can use it and I'll get a 455 to build out

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/IMG_2455-457821.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/IMG_2459-457822.JPG
View Quote
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTD] [#28]
Mine was returned to Ruger for the second time last week.

I just received an email that they are replacing it at no charge and destroying the old one. Had to have been an issue with the receiver.

I hope the replacement ships quickly! I kind of miss the little bugger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine was returned to Ruger for the second time last week.

I just received an email that they are replacing it at no charge and destroying the old one. Had to have been an issue with the receiver.

I hope the replacement ships quickly! I kind of miss the little bugger.
View Quote
Cool.  Let us know how the new one does.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought one yesterday and am trying to decide on an optic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I but a Bushnell rimfire 6-18x40 side focus on mine.

It's not great but the price was right and it will do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bkssniper:
I bought one yesterday and am trying to decide on an optic.
View Quote
I put a vortex diamondback tactical on mine, 4-12x40.
So far I really like it, vortex scopes have always tracked and adjusted well for me.

Ive tried some bushnell and other scopes in that area but the glass is never quite as clear to me as a vortex or leupold so I just stick to those two.

works out good since it has the same reticle as my 6.5
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Ruger's RPRim should fit in well in the NRL22 match world.
View Quote
It does very well.  I love using mine for NRL22.  Going to use it in the Regional Match next weekend.  Love Eley Force ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Picked one up yesterday and put an SWFA SS on it, should make it to the range in the next couple of days.

Need some one lower rings/mount. The one I have is too high,  it it'll work for the time being.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/DSC03113_e2-455065.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471103/DSC03110_e2-455066.JPG
View Quote
Which scope and rings (height) is that? @3GunSteve
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By floater33:

Which scope and rings (height) is that? @3GunSteve
View Quote
It's a vortex viper I think with BDC. The rings I'm honestly not sure, but can tell you they are wrong and need to be higher as the sunshade barely touches the hand guard. At a match this past weekend though if I loaded the bipod a lot it seemed to mess with optic, so just going to go with some higher rings and give it another go :)
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ponykilr] [#37]
My skinny barrel American has shot a best of .116 and is well under .200 with about any match ammo at 25yds.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:20:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#38]
Bought one recently for $400. Put on an Athlon BTR 6-24×50 for $350 in Vortex Precission/Seekins rings for $90. Tons of trigger creep but adjusts low enough it does not really effect accuracy.

Tested 30 loads and there were only 2 that held 1.5 MOA or less every time, CCI Green Tag, followed closely by SK Rifle Match. Put several hundred through her over 4 sessions with one detailed cleaning at 300 rounds.

Removing the ring for long bolt through caused the bolt to gouge the polymer chassis, but it eventually self clearanced. The trigger pins are so loose in the holes you can see em move. The whole rifle is very crudely constructed.

Its a great as my RPR 6.5 trainer or plinker, but not really a consistent sub MOA rifle. Not a true competition rimfire piece. Maybe one or two out of 10 on my 5 shot groups gets under .50" at 50 yards. The rest hover in .6 to .7 inch and over at 50. CCI standard is .7" to .8" ammo at 50 yards and 2" to 2.5" ammo at 100 yards. In contrast, my Ruger RPR 6.5 is also crude, but not as crude as the rimfire build quality and shoots .6 to .75 MOA all day, 8 or 9 out of 10 of my 5 shot groups .75 MOA or less.

My last detail strip the selector spring flew to who knows where and I noticed a capture E ring was missing. Anyone know where to get spares? Anyone know if a gunsmith can easily remove creep or should I just go aftermarket?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Bought one recently for $400. Put on an Athlon BTR 6-24×50 fro $250 in Vortex Precission/Seekins rings for $90. Tons of trigger creep but adjusts low enough it does not really effect accuracy.
View Quote
Where'd you find one for $250?

Currently thinking about picking up a SWFA SS 10 or 16x for mine from the sample list for that price.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Bought one recently for $400. Put on an Athlon BTR 6-24×50 fro $250 in Vortex Precission/Seekins rings for $90. Tons of trigger creep but adjusts low enough it does not really effect accuracy.

Tested 30 loads and there were only 2 that held 1.5 MOA or less every time, CCI Green Tag, followed closely by SK Rifle Match. Put several hundred through her over 4 sessions with one detailed cleaning at 300 rounds.

Removing the ring for long bolt through caused the bolt to gouge the polymer chassis, but it eventually self clearanced. The trigger pins are so loose in the holes you can see em move. The whole rifle is very crudely constructed.

Its a great as my RPR 6.5 trainer or plinker, but not really a consistent sub MOA rifle. Not a true competition rimfire piece. Maybe one or two out of 10 on my 5 shot groups gets under .50" at 50 yards. The rest hover in .6 to .7 inch and over at 50. CCI standard is .7" to .8" ammo at 50 yards and 2" to 2.5" ammo at 100 yards. In contrast, my Ruger RPR 6.5 is also crude, but not as crude as the rimfire build quality and shoots .6 to .75 MOA all day, 8 or 9 out of 10 of my 5 shot groups .75 MOA or less.

My last detail strip the selector spring flew to who knows where and I noticed a capture E ring was missing. Anyone know where to get spares? Anyone know if a gunsmith can easily remove creep or should I just go aftermarket?
View Quote
I hate to hear that. I was really excited about these when they came out. I guess I’ll keep shooting my savage until I can afford an Anschutz. It’s annoying that there are not many options that provide a significant advantage over a $200 MK II, until you break $1k.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:

Where'd you find one for $250?

Currently thinking about picking up a SWFA SS 10 or 16x for mine from the sample list for that price.
View Quote
Sorry, was a typo. I fixedi it.Was $350.00 delivered, not 250.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife wanted one.  I think it is a great gun.  We have had a blast with it at this point.  I had a Nikon Monarch laying around for about 5 years or so.  Nice gun to bench shoot.  Just got back today.  My Green Mountain 10/22 will hang with the Ruger precision.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#43]
My favorite gun store can’t find one of these in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#44]
A couple weeks ago I looked all over the state for one.  This week I found two locally for under $400.  I was all set to buy one before a nice Stevens 44 fell in my lap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I've only had a chance to fire mine about 10 times but I really like it better than any of my other rimfires so far. Very accurate and a lot of fun. I don't intend to make any changes to it except a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Got my boy one and am waiting on the aftermarket barrel -  Hopefully this week it will be done. Then off to the range with him
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I installed a Shaw 18" match stainless barrel and bedded with aluminum tape.

Shot .3" to .4" 50 yard five shot groups. Also shot .88" and 1.07" five shot groups at 100 yards. Ammo was SK Rifle match and Wolf Match Extra.

Waiting on Timney to release their Ruger Precision rimfire trigger to see if I can cull flyers and shrink her another .1 MOA or so.

If you are on the fence about the accuracy of the Ruger Precision Rimfire or are disappointed with your factory gun's accuracy, I highly suggest a box of SK Rifle match and the $250 Shaw barrel. Literally twice as accurate as the factory gun shooting CCI standard velocity.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I didn’t think I would like the gun.   I handled one in a gun shop out of town and did some online review research.  Very hit and miss with accuracy gun to gun.   Not sure I want to risk buying a 2+ moa  “ precision rifle”.

I like adjustable stocks and was really thinking about getting one.  Not much out there with that kind of adjustability from the factory at that price point.  Yes the stock could be stiffer.

Like was posted above half the guns on display had barrels and hand guards not concentric.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Bought mine used for $280, put a Vortex Diamondback FFP on it for another $310. At 25 yards, groups with Eley are .2 to .25. At 100 yards outside I was getting right at MOA.

I just wish the stock could be folded....anyone talking about offering a sidefolder?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the biggest issue these rifles have is the bedding.  Either the tolerance stacking with the chassis, mag catch block, trigger and receiver works out or it doesn't, and it needs to be bedded.  Mine was horrible out of the box, but became a tack driver with a quick bedding fix.  I used it to beat out a pile of Vudoo V-22s to win the inaugural rimfire ELR/LRO match.  I have an SWFA 10x42 on it sitting on a 20 moa riser on top of the 30 moa rail and it's in Burris Signature rings with another 40 moa adjustment for a total 90 moa.  I can dial from 25 yards to 600 yards with match ammo.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top