Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2022 10:09:54 AM EDT
I am looking for recommendations for an adjustable rest and rear bag for load development for my ARs.

Currently use a bipod or a simple front bag with a rolled up towel for the rear.  

I would like to stay away from China made (Caldwell), but also don't need a $500 setup either (I don't think).

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What about a led sled?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

They are garbage.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a heavy sinclair brand varmint rest,works good,it's pretty basic. Rear rest I use a wedge bag I sewed up, it works for me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What's wrong with the bipod and a good rear bag? That's how I have tested loads for years and still do. Plenty stable.
View Quote
It works, but the gun bonces and slides around on the range table.

Looking for something more stable.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m very happy with the Caldwell the rock deluxe (I think). When shooting from a bench it is so much easier to get the height aligned with the rear bag and get comfortable. With bipod, you have to squeeze rear bag to get elevation perfect. This you can adjust without having to squeeze it. Bipod and rear bag for prone. I have 3 different rear bags with all different heights because one range I shoot at is not level.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number1gun] [#9]

They do not allow the rifle to react as it will when shooting. The shooter is a part of the equation. Also with heavier recoiling rifles they have been known to crack stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RandyMarsh:

How so?

They do not allow the rifle to react as it will when shooting. The shooter is a part of the equation. Also with heavier recoiling rifles they have been known to crack stocks.

Nonsense. Fuck all to do with ballistics. Stock cracks are because of tang or tang bolt relief or bedding not being correct..add a piece of foam if worried.
The only potential change is barrel harmonics if you actually strap it down in place and there is no human being capable of detecting that change by shooting.
The potential change in any accuracy data point is not detectable by any human shooting the firearm and probably not without MIT level grad student work.

Taking the human out of the equation is exactly how you find out what the gun is capable of and no human is capable of out shooting the most average off the shelf firearm. Never mind an AR that already has inherent movement between the upper and lower.
That movement alone negates anything else someone might be chasing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#12]

That's you. Not the rifle. You need to use a good rear bag and not a rolled up towel and use the fundamentals including follow through. Get a good position behind the rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By STJ:
It works, but the gun bonces and slides around on the range table.

Looking for something more stable.

That's you. Not the rifle. You need to use a good rear bag and not a rolled up towel and use the fundamentals including follow through. Get a good position behind the rifle.
I agree on getting a good position. Prone on a mat with a loaded bipod I can square up and the gun recoils in a more controllable way.

the somewhat shitty range tables and bench seats, not so much.

I also know the rolled up towel needs replacing. Hence why I'm here asking for equipment advice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Number1gun:

Nonsense. Fuck all to do with ballistics. Stock cracks are because of tang or tang bolt relief or bedding not being correct..add a piece of foam if worried.
The only potential change is barrel harmonics if you actually strap it down in place and there is no human being capable of detecting that change by shooting.
The potential change in any accuracy data point is not detectable by any human shooting the firearm and probably not without MIT level grad student work.

Taking the human out of the equation is exactly how you find out what the gun is capable of and no human is capable of out shooting the most average off the shelf firearm. Never mind an AR that already has inherent movement between the upper and lower.
View Quote

I’m guessing you don’t shoot hard kickers! Lol! You’re funny.

Lead Sleds have too much influence over the recoil stroke. You can disagree, but I’ve seen it and I think most of your better shooters have seen it too. It is possible that with AR’s, it may not matter much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#14]
Originally Posted By M15A2CLE:

I'm guessing you don't shoot hard kickers! Lol! You're funny.

Lead Sleds have too much influence over the recoil stroke. You can disagree, but I've seen it and I think most of your better shooters have seen it too. It is possible that with AR's, it may not matter much.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M15A2CLE:
Originally Posted By Number1gun:

I'm guessing you don't shoot hard kickers! Lol! You're funny.

Lead Sleds have too much influence over the recoil stroke. You can disagree, but I've seen it and I think most of your better shooters have seen it too. It is possible that with AR's, it may not matter much.
I have heard guns acting "different" with lead sleds. That's why I am asking about a front rest and rear bag.

plus the separate units allow more flexibility for use.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Protektor rabbit ear rear bag.

I use an Uncle Bud's Bull bag up front.

I have slabs of rubber and wood boards to adjust the height of the bags so the rifle is perfectly aligned on target without any input from me.

You can get a bench rest style front rest with a custom bag that fits your rifle, the problem is, most bench rest rifles are slick and the rifle slides rearward under recoil. You move the rifle forward after each shot. AR-15's rarely have float tubes that are slick. 1913 rails and even standard handguards have ribs which interfere with free recoil.

Custom front bench rests can get expensive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a lead sled and it’s sits idle now.  

Hard to get a good cheek weld for in my experience.

I went with Caldwell rock and have enjoyed it.   Just be sure to take time to note sling swivel position.   Mine wrecked the front bag which had to be replaced.   Caldwell sent me a new one even though I admitted the problem was of my own doing.  

The Rock for 100 bucks was a great deal.  Comparable rest were way more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mayorbilk:
I use a heavy sinclair brand varmint rest,works good,it's pretty basic. Rear rest I use a wedge bag I sewed up, it works for me.
View Quote

I have a couple of blue jean legs sewed up and a Hoppes rear bag. On the collapsible ar stock I use the flat blue jeans bag under my pistol grip and my hand supporting the rear stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top