Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2018 12:50:55 PM EDT
I just received this gun, the smith that threaded the barrel for the previous owner did a hack job and the threads aren't concentric to the bore.  Im going to have it cut down from 24" to somewhere between 16" and 20" and finished by a competent smith and have the chamber reamed out to spc ii.  Any idea what the twist rate is?  Barrel is unmarked other than what is in the second pic.

Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would assume it is a factory barrel since they used to be from Ilion, NY....
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#2]
All I remember is Remington screwed up the twist rate on the first guns they made.   My coworker got a real dog and got a refund.

Tight patch on a rod with a roller bearing.  Mark a dot on the rotating rod near the handle.  Mark a line at the receiver.  Push rod in slowly watching the dot.  When it comes back to the start position stop pushing.  Mark the rod at the receiver again.  Pull rod, measure between two marks.   That’s your twist rate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
All I remember is Remington screwed up the twist rate on the first guns they made.   My coworker got a real dog and got a refund.

Tight patch on a rod with a roller bearing.  Mark a dot on the rotating rod near the handle.  Mark a line at the receiver.  Push rod in slowly watching the dot.  When it comes back to the start position stop pushing.  Mark the rod at the receiver again.  Pull rod, measure between two marks.   That’s your twist rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Ill try to check with a USGI cleaning kit T-handle and rod sections.  I shot this gun before it was threaded about a decade ago and was nailing prairie dog pups out to 200 round after round, after it was threaded and shot with a suppressor I was told the accuracy went to crap and it sat in the case for the last 5-6 years.  Im loading up some 90gr speer TNTs today, hopefully I can get out and put a few downrange tomorrow and see how it groups as it is.

Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Its the factory barrel, no stamped twist rate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
its 1/10
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#5]
Originally Posted By reelserious:
its 1/10
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Like he said 1/10.Ihave a "countersniper" model Black fluted barrel,HS Precision stock.It was a very limited production and shoots less than MOA  with 110 VMax about 1 1/4  with Gold Dot 90gr federal.

I did a bunch of research on making it a Spec II and decided against it,seems the Gas guns benefit more than the bolt guns for this mod.Part of this is the limitation on OAL to feed from the mags,this is not a factor on the bolt guns.

I reload and make some HOT Stuff with no issues though as the rounds get Hotter with some bullets accuracy drops off.

This little rifle weighs less than most of my Model 7's and is accurate to the extreme.Whitetail Deer don't do well around it!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like it would be fun to try and work up a load with 130gn bergers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
View Quote
Still are...
Edit: Cleaning rod w/ a dot on it, push until dot does one complete rotation & measure...
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I put about 50 rounds through it yesterday, couldn't get anything resembling a group.  I checked the optic mounting hardware and action screws before heading out, nothing screwy there.  I was hitting about 6 inches high and left @100 initially, probably because it was last zeroed with a gemtech HVT hanging off of it.  My best off the bipod was about a 2" pattern as it sits.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Adco Firearms will chop the barrel to any length you specify if they rethread it. No extra charge. It's much cheaper if you can get the barrel off and just ship it. They guarantee that their threads will be concentric with the bore.

20" would be a decent length, anything longer is wasted in this caliber. I've been instructing them to GunKote my SS barrels when I have them do work. $45.00 well spent.

There is nothing wrong with 1/10 twist in this caliber. Your action length and free bore may allow you to load close to the lands and still feed from the magazine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d be ordering a 224V barrel for that so fast...
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RFutch:
I’d be ordering a 224V barrel for that so fast...
View Quote
Im tempted, but if I go that route I might as well just drop it off at GA Precision and let them work over the action and  trigger at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Nah. PVA remage Barrel and your done.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine required some trigger work after I got the trigger down from 6# to around 3#& skim bedded it the thing came alive and yes you can load long.

I can't use the same OAL in my gas guns so I have 2 sets of loads.BTW my 6.8SPC Noveske barreled AR gives this one a run for it's money

When I shoot the shorter OAL rounds in the Remington the groups open up some but still way under 2".The federal 90 gr GD are about 1 1/4" which works for deer,the best factory load is the 110gr Vmax in this particular rifle.

With a little work the thing will shoot.....don't give up on It,6.8 is an amazing round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top