Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2018 9:49:49 AM EDT
What's the consensus on these?
Do they take Pmags? Have found one local
and know little about the AR10 platform.
This would be a hunting/range use rifle.

As always,thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag and bump.

I’ve always wanted to build a 7-08 but have heard that getting the gas right is tricky.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bigthicket:
What's the consensus on these?
Do they take Pmags? Have found one local
and know little about the AR10 platform.
This would be a hunting/range use rifle.

As always,thanks guys!
View Quote
Yes, they should, as I believe they are DPMS rifles, rebadged as Remingtons, or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine had one in .308.  I got to handle and shoot it.  It appears to be a nicer finished DPMS LR-308.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
A friend of mine had one in .308.  I got to handle and shoot it.  It appears to be a nicer finished DPMS LR-308.
View Quote
How did it run?

Standard buffer and spring?

Adjustable gas block or fixed?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it a GII or older R25?

PMAGs should run with it, but you'll need to confirm with testing.

1st Gen Magpul 7.62 PMAGs have run perfectly for me in my .260 Rem built by GAP on DPMS AP4 receivers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
<-------  I bought mine before I joined this board...…..  Still going strong, now wears a BA Hanson profile 308 barrel(has always been a 308 though).  Yes on the Pmags or any SR25 DPMS style mag.

I love the camo pattern, so I baby mine.  The finish is somewhat fragile, even babying it, I have chipped it in a couple places.  The original pistol grip is worn down to nearly all black.  My original barrel, pretty near the end of it's life, is ok accurate.  Don't expect any accuracy after about 5 rounds without letting it cool.  The very thin profile heats up quick.  Great for carrying and hunting though when one or two shots is all you'll need.  I think my BA barrel is close to double the weight, both 20 inch barrels.  I have no experience with the Gen II, but the 1st Gen is a solid platform.  Pistol Grip, Larue MBT and BA Barrel are my only changes.  Still factory internals otherwise, and it's ate it's share very hot reloads.  Happy owner here, my all time favorite rifle I own.  7-08 is an outstanding round, it should treat u well when u do your part.

Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

How did it run?

Standard buffer and spring?

Adjustable gas block or fixed?
View Quote
It ran as well as my .308 Armalite I was shooting at the same time.  The gas block is one of those fairly large, fixed gas blocks similar to the one on my Armalite that has a pic rail on top.  Don't really know the specs on the buffer and spring, but knowing my friend, it's what came in it.  It was a 20" with rifle gas, so that probably explains why it functioned fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It is an older R25.
The guy wants $1150 for it,with a cheap scope.
After some checking,i believe i can do better than that.
For about $700,i can have a PSA 6.5 C.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bigthicket:
It is an older R25.
The guy wants $1150 for it,with a cheap scope.
After some checking,i believe i can do better than that.
For about $700,i can have a PSA 6.5 C.
View Quote
Yeah, that's asking too much unless the glass was higher quality, and I think you're probably right to seek a 6.5CM platform.  There is nothing wrong with 7mm-08, but unless you're really into that cartridge for a specific reason, the 6.5CM will provide more ammo options.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

1st Gen Magpul 7.62 PMAGs have run perfectly for me in my .260 Rem built by GAP on DPMS AP4 receivers.
View Quote
@LRRPF52

Where would you recommend acquiring a 7-08 barrel that will have a properly located and sized gas port?

I have been considering a M5E1 receiver set build in 7-08 but have been concerned about gas issues.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
@LRRPF52

Where would you recommend acquiring a 7-08 barrel that will have a properly located and sized gas port?

I have been considering a M5E1 receiver set build in 7-08 but have been concerned about gas issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@LRRPF52

The 7mm-08 is probably the most friendly variant off the .308 in the AR10 sized guns, with factory hunting ammo in the 139/140gr class.

You do have slightly-less bore volume, but with slightly lower chamber pressure.

If you start shooting heavier 154-168gr, you will start to see higher port pressures like we do with .308/175gr/178gr/185gr.

Most hunting ammo for the 7mm-08 is 139/140gr though.

RLGS will work fine for that, probably with a port similar to a .308 at .0935", but I would check with reputable barrel makers.

If it were me, I would be looking at a DPMS GII 7mm-08.

If you're doing a conversion on a large frame, I would look at:

Wilson Combat

McGowan Barrels

McGowan allows you to fully configure the barrel how you want, including CMV vs stainless, twist rate, profile/contour, gas system length, chambering, gauge, crown, fluting, and finish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]

The 7mm-08 is probably the most friendly variant off the .308 in the AR10 sized guns, with factory hunting ammo in the 139/140gr class.

You do have slightly-less bore volume, but with slightly lower chamber pressure.

If you start shooting heavier 154-168gr, you will start to see higher port pressures like we do with .308/175gr/178gr/185gr.

Most hunting ammo for the 7mm-08 is 139/140gr though.

RLGS will work fine for that, probably with a port similar to a .308 at .0935", but I would check with reputable barrel makers.

If it were me, I would be looking at a DPMS GII 7mm-08.

If you're doing a conversion on a large frame, I would look at:

Wilson Combat

McGowan Barrels

McGowan allows you to fully configure the barrel how you want, including CMV vs stainless, twist rate, profile/contour, gas system length, chambering, gauge, crown, fluting, and finish.
View Quote
As always, thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top