Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2020 3:17:36 AM EDT
I have a bit of a rookie question, but after zeroing a scope at say 50/200 yards, would I realign the turret so that it lines up with 0 or the corresponding mark it's been zeroed at. (ie. .5 or 2?)

It would seem to make sense to line it up at the distance the scope has been zeroed at, but I may not be thinking very clearly! Thx.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I set mine to zero on all my rifles.  That way if I have to make an adjustment for wind or distance it's easy to get back to zero.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
It's called your zero for a reason.

Set the elevation knob on 0 when you zero. Then you need to know where to go from there.
View Quote

I came to post this.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Some suggest setting the zero at zero but adjusting the zero stop couple clicks under .
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]

That's a totally different situation. That is so you can dial below your zero incase you zero farther out than 100 and need to dial under or in a rimfire situation or even if there is a change due to environmentals. It is good to have a few tenths of a mil or an moa or so under though if running a zero stop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
Some suggest setting the zero at zero but adjusting the zero stop couple clicks under .

That's a totally different situation. That is so you can dial below your zero incase you zero farther out than 100 and need to dial under or in a rimfire situation or even if there is a change due to environmentals. It is good to have a few tenths of a mil or an moa or so under though if running a zero stop.

I thought maybe he was crossing between the two but after rereading what he typed that wasn't the case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback guys and clearing that up!  Seemed obvious at first but then I started to overthink it.

I was thinking for elevation if I zeroed at say 100 yards and I set the dial to 1 rather than 0, I would always be able to correlate the dial marks to the yardage I was shooting at.  But I'll set the zero to 0!

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#8]
Originally Posted By ARBertch:
Thanks for the feedback guys and clearing that up!  Seemed obvious at first but then I started to overthink it.

I was thinking for elevation if I zeroed at say 100 yards and I set the dial to 1 rather than 0, I would always be able to correlate the dial marks to the yardage I was shooting at.  But I'll set the zero to 0!

View Quote

You need to do a lot more research on this.  For the vast majority of scopes (that don’t have a BDC turret matched to your specific rifle, load, and environmentals), the marking on your turrets correlate to the graduations that the turrets adjust in (be that .1 MRAD, .2 MRAD, 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, etc.), NOT the distance that you’ll be shooting at (1 for 100y, 2 for 200y, etc).

You need to figure out the ballistics of your specific load (projectile characteristics, velocity, etc) out of your specific rifle and plug that all in to a ballistic calculator to figure out your drops for different ranges.  You’ll then want to get out to a range and confirm/modify those drops as needed at actual distance.  Doing your homework beforehand will save you a lot of headaches and wasted money/ammo down the line.

@ARBertch

ETA:  Here’s a simplified ballistic drop chart for one of my rifles shooting Mk262.  As you can see, the drop numbers don’t numerically line up with the yardage they correlate to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#9]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
View Quote

I always give myself a half mil downward adjustment ability with standard zero stops, mainly in case I want to shoot unsuppressed (which is pretty rare).  My two suppressors on my “precision” rifles always exhibit a near perfectly vertical shift measuring .2-.3 mils when removed.

Some turrets (like the Zerolock on ATACRs) give you a built-in ability to dial below zero (by 2 mils in the Zerolock’s case), even with the actual “zerostop” set to your actual zero.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

You need to do a lot more research on this.  For the vast majority of scopes (that don't have a BDC turret matched to your specific rifle, load, and environmentals), the marking on your turrets correlate to the graduations that the turrets adjust in (be that .1 MRAD, .2 MRAD, 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, etc.), NOT the distance that you'll be shooting at (1 for 100y, 2 for 200y, etc).

You need to figure out the ballistics of your specific load (projectile characteristics, velocity, etc) out of your specific rifle and plug that all in to a ballistic calculator to figure out your drops for different ranges.  You'll then want to get out to a range and confirm/modify those drops as needed at actual distance.  Doing your homework beforehand will save you a lot of headaches and wasted money/ammo down the line.
View Quote

Thanks for the info RJeff.  Yeah I've been trying to soak up the knowledge all over and thought I was starting to get a grasp of things and realized I still have a ways to go.  I recently finished a MK12 build and will be using the MK262, and do have a BDC turret for the MK262 load which I'm finally understanding has the bullet drop markings above the MOA graduations..  Now I just need to understand what I'm looking at, but I guess I should have known better that the 1/2 MOA graduations don't correlate to the distance I'm shooting at.

I'm really enjoying this rifle however and precision shooting.  Once I figure everything out I'll enjoy it even more ha!  But I'll take your advice and calculate the ballistics for the load/rifle combo and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#11]

Thanks for the info RJeff.  Yeah I've been trying to soak up the knowledge all over and thought I was starting to get a grasp of things and realized I still have a ways to go.  I recently finished a MK12 build and will be using the MK262, and do have a BDC turret for the MK262 load which I'm finally understanding has the bullet drop markings above the MOA graduations..  Now I just need to understand what I'm looking at, but I guess I should have known better that the 1/2 MOA graduations don't correlate to the distance I'm shooting at.

I'm really enjoying this rifle however and precision shooting.  Once I figure everything out I'll enjoy it even more ha!  But I'll take your advice and calculate the ballistics for the load/rifle combo and go from there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

You need to do a lot more research on this.  For the vast majority of scopes (that don't have a BDC turret matched to your specific rifle, load, and environmentals), the marking on your turrets correlate to the graduations that the turrets adjust in (be that .1 MRAD, .2 MRAD, 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, etc.), NOT the distance that you'll be shooting at (1 for 100y, 2 for 200y, etc).

You need to figure out the ballistics of your specific load (projectile characteristics, velocity, etc) out of your specific rifle and plug that all in to a ballistic calculator to figure out your drops for different ranges.  You'll then want to get out to a range and confirm/modify those drops as needed at actual distance.  Doing your homework beforehand will save you a lot of headaches and wasted money/ammo down the line.

It’s no worries, and there is no “knowing better” when it comes to a lot of things, especially shooting.  I’m always learning and for every 10 retards I meet at the range, I meet 1 dude who knows his shit and is able to impart some valuable knowledge.  Attend some matches and talk with some competitors after you’ve picked up the basics, they may all not be open to sharing, but a lot of guys will be willing to help you out as long as you’re open and receptive.  Do your research and eventually you’ll get the hang of things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top