Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 11:01:23 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide between the two....Leaning towards the Razor.

Your input would be appreciated
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely love my razor...mines 4.5-27-56.. you cannot go wrong with one other then of the weight bothers you...and the weight isn't an issue when compared to like size and quality of scopes...everything else is perfect...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had a vortex so take this with a grain of salt but they're primarily a budget company that is most renowned for it's great customer service. Night force on the other hand makes only top end scopes and has a lot of very happy socom customers. If I were going to spend that kind of money then I would go with the manufacturer that dedicated itself to being the best. When people repeatedly say that so and so has great customer service what I hear is this crap breaks all the time and the company doesn't mind replacing it because their profit margins are high from cutting corners. I stick to high end manufacturers and I have no idea what their customer service is like because I've never had to use it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Gen 2 razor is definitely not a budget or low end optic. The Razor 2 is a top tier scope, I would take one over a NXS any day and I would take one over a BEAST too. The NXS scopes are simply not in the same class as a Gen 2 razor, the NXS is a good scope in its own right but technology has surpassed it hence new scopes from NightForce has been developed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
So I've been curious about this for a while. When I was first deciding to buy a scope for a precision rig, I looked through a Gen 2 Razor and several others. When I looked through the ATACR that I own now, the decision was made for me immediately. With that being said, is it the Razor's glass that makes it top tier or other things? From what I remember, it did have some impressive glass and ultimately, my decision on the ATACR was based on the reticle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
So I've been curious about this for a while. When I was first deciding to buy a scope for a precision rig, I looked through a Gen 2 Razor and several others. When I looked through the ATACR that I own now, the decision was made for me immediately. With that being said, is it the Razor's glass that makes it top tier or other things? From what I remember, it did have some impressive glass and ultimately, my decision on the ATACR was based on the reticle.
View Quote
Glass, tracking and repeatability. The ebr-2C is also a very nice reticle. The ATACR will resolve slightly better than Gen 2 Razor, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra 500$

Which reticle did you get?

OP, I’d take a Gen1 Razor over a NXS every day. The glass is comparable but the Razor will be a 5-20 FFP while only the 3.5-15 NXS F1 would offer a FFP option. The EBR-2B reticle is a nicer reticle than anything the NXS offers imo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO

NXS < Razor gen 2 < ATACR
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The NF ATACR is a very fine scope indeed and I heavily considered one but since they lack a MOA version with a Tree type of reticle I kept looking. They are truly wonderful scopes but with me being an oddball they are not an option for me. To answer a question that was posed about what makes the Gen 2 razor a good scope, the answer is all of it, the turrets are great, deliberate and tactile. The glass as mentioned is damned good maybe not the best but it is certainly top tier. Finally and most and important is they track true. They are also pretty rugged. All the things that you want in a scope.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
My apologies I’m referring to the Gen 1 razor and the NXS 5x 22
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Which reticle did you get?
View Quote
Since I'm an MOA guy, I opted for the MOAR reticle. I still think it's one of the best reticles to have, a tree reticle is a little busy for my tastes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
It's opinions like this that motivate us to get out of bed in the morning

Sounds like you might have our brand confused a bit and if you'd ever like, we'd be more than happy to talk about any of the optics in our line with complete honesty and transparency.

First thing's first - Nightforce is a fantastic company that makes equally fantastic products. There's no doubting that and to say otherwise would be foolish. Their brand is very different from ours, though. Not to say that one or the other is a better way of doing things, but just very different. While they stick solely to the ultra-high-end riflescopes, Vortex carries a much wider assortment of products across the spectrum from entry-level to competing ultra-high-end optics (That actually fight alongside Nightforce optics in dangerous places atop rifles carried by people who shall remain nameless). Now, the bulk of the market is around the entry-level arena. Despite the fact that youtube videos, facebook groups and forum posts might indicate that there is a giant segment of people in the market for ultra-high-end optics, when it comes down to it, that number is incredibly overshadowed by the average Joe hunter and shooter who doesn't have 4-figures to spend on optics. Because there's 100's of thousands, if not millions more entry-level products on the market than the ultra-high-end, there will inevitably be a larger number of issues prevalent. No manufacturer is perfect or "batting 1,000" to the point that they've never had a single problem with one of their scopes, but when there's less units out there, by nature of percentages, there seem to be less issues.

It also sounds kind of like it's not important to you whether or not a company has good customer service or a good warranty? Again, we've never seen a 100% indestructible product with a 100% defect-free history on the market and we've also never seen a product, no matter how user-friendly, require absolutely no Q&A or customer-company interaction via phone, e-mail or social media. It seems to us as though, if a company makes a product that they truly feel is ready to stand the test of time, then why wouldn't they place a great warranty on it and back it up with great customer service? Heck - if they made a piece of shit that they knew was going to break, that would be all the more reason to NOT have such a warranty or customer service because that's a quick way to go out of business, paying for all those replacement units and all those customer service tools, people, resources, etc. It seems kind of like a catch 22 - you can have great customer service and people say it's because your product is obviously crappy so you need to make up for it, or you can have awful customer service and we all know how that goes... (**Cough** **Cough** BBB, TripAdvisor, Google Reviews, Facebook Reviews, Bad Press, GlassDoor and on and on and on.... The internet is full of ways to completely destroy a company based on poor customer service)

Pardon the rant, but we see this opinion from time to time and it's usually based on little-to-no experience with our brand. Again, we have no issue with Nightforce and commend them for the excellent reputation they've achieved and the excellent products they produce.

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to address them personally. Feel free to reach out. Thanks! - Jimmy H [email protected]
View Quote
For what it’s worth I just ordered a Gen1 Razor 5 x 20...

One of the reasons is because of all I have heard about the warranty and great customer service.
Now as I type this my Leupold is in for a warranty repair...
Me thinks all products no matter the quality can break..
So good customer service and a good warranty are a thing I look for.
Also when I look down the line at the matches I make it to. Vortex has a good following and the lower cost options they have make a good showing score wise..
I really hope I’m not disappointed in my first Vortex optic.
But my gut tells me I won’t be..
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for choosing Vortex - we really appreciate it and in all our bias, are pretty darn certain you're going to enjoy that scope. It was my personal first long range scope and served me many years before I eventually gave it to someone else looking to get into long range precision. Zip-codes-worth of adjustment in the turrets, great optics, integrated zero stop, super durable and a little lighter than the Gen II's (Not that it really matters for most precision long range guys' applications)

Hit us up if you have any questions at all when you get it. Always happy to help!

- Jimmy H
View Quote
Will do!  It’s the off season right now for our local matches.
So rifle off for new bottom metal and when it’s back mount scope and practice.
Scope is supposed to be here Thursday
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a NF ATACR lover that owns several of them.  I've never owned a Razor but I will have one on my next build.  I've used it on friends rifles and it's a serious piece of equipment.

There's something you have to consider about Vortex mid level and budget level scopes.  Those scopes usually ride in budget rings and are mounted by less experienced shooters.  Most of them have never seen a torque wrench.  I would bet that a good percentage of returned scopes had deformed tubes from inappropriate rings wrenched down tighter that a well diggers ass.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
I'm a NF ATACR lover that owns several of them.  I've never owned a Razor but I will have one on my next build.  I've used it on friends rifles and it's a serious piece of equipment.

There's something you have to consider about Vortex mid level and budget level scopes.  Those scopes usually ride in budget rings and are mounted by less experienced shooters.  Most of them have never seen a torque wrench.  I would bet that a good percentage of returned scopes had deformed tubes from inappropriate rings wrenched down tighter that a well diggers ass.
View Quote
I pinched a Vortex diamondback tube.....while using a torque screwdriver.  It was installed properly.  Weak tube.  It was a cheap budget scope.....and they replaced it with a brand new one that installed fine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#18]
Man there's a lot of other variables to consider there. What rings were you using, what mounts were you using, did you have loc-tite on the threads of the screws which would cause a false torque reading, etc.

Not saying it's impossible for us to make a mistake somewhere, but we've mounted tons of Diamondbacks without any issue when they're mounted to spec with at least decent quality components and a straight rifle
View Quote
EGW base, Warne rings.  So quality components that should not cause issues, and they didn't on the second scope.  I clean my threads with alcohol.  Then I put the smallest amount of loctite I can on the threads.  I allow that loctite to almost dry so that it doesn't act as lubricant and cause the system to clamp too hard when torquing.  It was installed properly with a torque wrench.  Haven't ever had a problem with any of the dozens of scopes I've mounted.  I also check ring alignment with alignment bars.  The base/ring/rifle was straight.

Anyway, it was sent back with the description a few years back.  No idea if you guys analyzed it or just chucked it in the trash.  You guys took care of it.  I don't expect every cheap scope to be 100%, and expect some to have to go back for issues.  That's the nature of cheap scopes.  If they worked 110% like scopes that cost $1-3k, there would be no reason to buy the high end stuff.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Received my Gen 1 Razor last night. If this scope performs as well as it appears and feels. I’m going to be ecstatic...
I will be mounting it with Vortex rings on a EGW base using an inch pound torque driver.
Bought thru my tool supplier
I’m a mechanic by trade..
The only complaint I have at this point is
The battery cap was apparently torqued with a 1/2 drive foot pound torque wrench and I marred the finish on the cap..
My fault.
I’ll see about buying a new cap..
I’ll be playing around with it over the weekend unmounted
So far awesome piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Just give us a call and we'll get you a new cap. 1-800-426-0048 Ext. 5

Thanks!
View Quote
Did that and cap on the way! Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Remember that when people mention the great Vortex Customer Service and the haters say that Vortex customer service is always used because the scopes are breaking. It's not. They care about the customers.

You will like the scope more when you get it mounted up. Congrats.
View Quote
Leupold average response time when calling 1.5 hours. I leave a number and they call back. And maybe I get someone that kinda knows what’s going on something changed over there. Still waiting over a week now to see what’s up with a scope I sent in..

Vortex answered the phone in minutes. Transferred me to someone who resolved the issue immediately..

Granted it was a minor issue.. But ya know what they say....First impressions...My first impression is very positive..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top