Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2020 4:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87]
Hey guys picking out glass for a mk12 mod1 inspired build (not clone). I’m looking for glass in the 16-18 power range, I’m looking hard at the razor mentioned but afraid the 50mm objective will be to large and clunky. Anyone using one and have a opinion. Pictures would be great.

I’m also considering a night force atacr 4-16x42 that I think will be a better fit but it’s a little out of budget at the minute.

I know lots say you don’t need anything over 10 power but I Prefer to have a little extra.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
The Razor is a 3-18 and it’s fucking enormous and heavy on a small frame AR platform.  Had one on a 6.5G for a bit and while it’s a phenomenal scope, 3.5lbs for a scope/mount combo is just too much, IMO.

Attachment Attached File

Recently picked up a 4-16x42 ATACR for my new 18” Grendel and while still rather large, it’s much better suited to small frame ARs.

Attachment Attached File

Between the 2, I’d say ATACR hands down for your situation.  Glass is pretty much a wash between the 2, with the ATACR feeling a bit more bright than the Razor.  Turrets are good on both, although I like the Zerostop on the NF more.  Mil-XT reticle in my ATACR is a bit busier than the EBR-2C in the Razor, offering finer graduations and a few more wind holds, but I’ll get used to it.  Obviously you’ll have more reticle options with the NF.  Illumination is comparable in both, although I do like the knob on the Razor a bit better than the push button on the ATACR (ATACR does red + green whereas Razor only does red).  Overall both good scopes, Razor just needs to drop about 16 ounces before I’d consider another one for anything but a dedicated bench gun.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Super heavy scope.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
The Razor is a 3-18 and it’s fucking enormous and heavy on a small frame AR platform.  Had one on a 6.5G for a bit and while it’s a phenomenal scope, 3.5lbs for a scope/mount combo is just too much, IMO.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/85F7C58E-5D6F-48CA-80AE-ABF28C45A977_jpe-1296483.JPG

Recently picked up a 4-16x42 ATACR for my new 18” Grendel and while still rather large, it’s much better suited to small frame ARs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/01B76CE0-AB67-4AB1-AE9C-F2DF5FD706F8_jpe-1296490.JPG

Between the 2, I’d say ATACR hands down for your situation.  Glass is pretty much a wash between the 2, with the ATACR feeling a bit more bright than the Razor.  Turrets are good on both, although I like the Zerostop on the NF more.  Mil-XT reticle in my ATACR is a bit busier than the EBR-2C in the Razor, offering finer graduations and a few more wind holds, but I’ll get used to it.  Obviously you’ll have more reticle options with the NF.  Illumination is comparable in both, although I do like the knob on the Razor a bit better than the push button on the ATACR (ATACR does red + green whereas Razor only does red).  
View Quote
Thanks that’s lots of great info. I really wish the atacr was a bit cheaper and it’d be a no brainer. I’m not in a big rush so I might have to wait and see if one comes up used in the ee.

Oh and thanks for the correction on mag. On the razor. Getting it confused with my gen 2 pst.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#4]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:
Thanks that’s lots of great info. I really wish the atacr was a bit cheaper and it’d be a no brainer. I’m not in a big rush so I might have to wait and see if one comes up used in the ee.

Oh and thanks for the correction on mag. On the razor. Getting it confused with my gen 2 pst.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/85F7C58E-5D6F-48CA-80AE-ABF28C45A977_jpe-1296483.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/01B76CE0-AB67-4AB1-AE9C-F2DF5FD706F8_jpe-1296490.JPG

Between the 2, I’d say ATACR hands down for your situation.  Glass is pretty much a wash between the 2, with the ATACR feeling a bit more bright than the Razor.  Turrets are good on both, although I like the Zerostop on the NF more.  Mil-XT reticle in my ATACR is a bit busier than the EBR-2C in the Razor, offering finer graduations and a few more wind holds, but I’ll get used to it.  Obviously you’ll have more reticle options with the NF.  Illumination is comparable in both, although I do like the knob on the Razor a bit better than the push button on the ATACR (ATACR does red + green whereas Razor only does red).  

If you call around to different retailers, you can find the ATACR for closer to $2000, just depends on if anyone is running any specials or anything.  I’d try Sport Optics, Euro Optic, Liberty Optic, or a few others.  There’s some vendors in the EE who offer decent prices as well.  Steve at Colonial Armory is a good dude to deal with and he’s always got NF ads up in the EE.

Also, if you’re looking for something a bit cheaper, you could look into the new 2.5-20x NX8.  From some of the reviews I’ve seen, it’s pretty decent, although it apparently has some optical quirks, but nothing too serious.  Definitely a smaller and much lighter package than the Razor.

ETA:  I’d also look pretty heavily at a 3.6-18x Leupold Mk5.  Good reticle selection, good glass, nice turrets, and from everything I’ve seen it’s a very good scope.  Compact and lightweight too.  Hopefully be picking one up here pretty soon to try out.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info guys. I’ve ordered I few scopes from sport optics and they are my go to. They usually have the best price I can find. I have the 7c reticle on my 3-15 gen 2 viper and am happy with it. Part of the reason I want the razor to keep things simple, and they are going for $1500 new.  If the size didn’t concern me it would be a no brainer. They weight isn’t a big concern as it will be shot mostly prone or bench.

As far as the NF goes it seems great but I don’t know if $2300 great. If I can find one used sub $1700 I’d probably jump on it. I’m looking at the mil-r reticle.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info guys. I’ve ordered I few scopes from sport optics and they are my go to. They usually have the best price I can find. I have the 7c reticle on my 3-15 gen 2 viper and am happy with it. Part of the reason I want the razor to keep things simple, and they are going for $1500 new.  If the size didn’t concern me it would be a no brainer. They weight isn’t a big concern as it will be shot mostly prone or bench.

As far as the NF goes it seems great but I don’t know if $2300 great. If I can find one used sub $1700 I’d probably jump on it. I’m looking at the mil-r reticle.
View Quote
You can find some of the NXS and NX8 models w/ the Mil-R reticle for around that price point, but if your primary concern is physical size and you’re not really concerned about weight, then I don’t see much reason not to go with the Razor.  It’s only about 2 inches longer than the ATACR with an 8mm jump in objective size, not something I’d be super concerned with on a gun that’ll spend most of its life on a bench or prone.  Size and weight really only become a factor for me if I plan on lugging it around anywhere on foot.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again. I’m not overly excited by the nxs and nx8, and only want ffp with zero stops. The gun will only be shot suppressed with most likely the same load once I figure out what I like. I will say I’m not crazy about the extra 16.5 oz the razor weighs. Honestly didn’t compare weight that much.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with the 2.5-10x42 NXS for my mk12.
The weight and size are awesome. Clarity better than expected. Wasn't sure if I would like it but after range day today I am sold.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similarly sized behemoth optic on my Mk12 when I was new to all this. In retrospect, it was silly. Would definitely not recommend.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
I had a similarly sized behemoth optic on my Mk12 when I was new to all this. In retrospect, it was silly. Would definitely not recommend.
View Quote
What did you end up settling on?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
At 28.8oz, the Razor HD AMG may be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#13]
It's what I run on 3 rifles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Sturm45:
At 28.8oz, the Razor HD AMG may be worth looking at.
View Quote
Yup. It’s a fantastic do all precision scope. I run it on my LR AR’s and put one on my girlfriends match rifle. I like the turrets slightly better on the Razor Gen2, but they are still good and it tracks spot on.

The ATACR 4-16 would also be a good optic, but the price vs performance of the AMG would put it out front for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw a guy with one on his at a 2-day gas gun. match. Also had an atlas knockoff bipod. One stage required us to set rifle down on table and transition to pistol. Scope was so top heavy, combined with shit bipod that it fell over and off the table. Match DQ on the second stage of the match.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve pretty well decided to go with the Night Force. Just going to have to save a bit longer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
On my Mk12? I sold it The closest rifle I have is a 16” Stealth. While I LOVE the Mk12, that rifle shoots at least as well, was considerably cheaper to build, and way lighter. It has an SWFA 3-15 FFP. They’re not as sexy but they’re excellent optics, and at their price point they’re a steal.

If I were buying again though it’d be something considerably lighter weight. The Mk5 and AMG come to mind. I don’t really care for that much mag on a .223 these days though. Anything much above 15 starts feeling like overkill. It’s nice but I’d just as soon get less mag and save in some other parameter (size, weight, cost, whatever). Mag preference is very subjective though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I would go with a mk5 or mk6

I have a spare mk6 for sale actually.
Awesome scopes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I just did a ton of  shopping on optics for my Ar10. Here's my recommended short list to take a hard look.

Leupold 3-18 Mark5HD best bang for the buck imo

Steiner T5xi 3-15

Zero Compromise Optics 4-20 (Crazy good but $$$$)

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#23]
To each their own. I've got an Accupower 56mm on an AR, and it's just fine. I've got a NXS 56mm on a 308 AR. They work well for me. Then again, I do a lot of low-light shooting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#24]
there's a sig tango6 3-18 in the EE, quite a bit lighter
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]
If your worried about weight look at the Leupold mk5 3.6-18. It’s only 26oz. I have one on my spr and love it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#28]
Originally Posted By CSAKing:
If your worried about weight look at the Leupold mk5 3.6-18. It’s only 26oz. I have one on my spr and love it.
View Quote

Came here to suggest something in the mid to high power Leupold lineup.  They are almost always the lightest in any given class, and just as durable.

How are you, OP going to use the scope?  If it’s going to mostly be used at bench, load development or shooting prone, you don’t have to have the ruggedness of a “slide down a mountain in Afghanistan while under fire” type of long range sniper scope.

If you move to non-tactical models, weight comes down and so does price, while optical clarity can still be exceptional.

For example, a VX6-HD 4-24x weighs only 22.5 ounces and is available with a TMOA reticle.  It is second focal plane, but you will probably use it at 24x for ranging with the reticle, anyway, and dial otherwise.

The Mk5 mentioned above would be a good choice and is FFP and only 26 ounces.

The Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP is first focal plane, but not illuminated, weighs 23 ounces, and has decent, but not Razor level glass and attractively priced at around $900.  

While my 16” Recce precision build normally runs a lower powered 3-9x40 tactical scope, I do load development for it, and precision shooting with a now discontinued Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50, pre-zeroed and QD mounted and do not consider that too much scope for those purposes.  To shoot sub MOA (sub 1/2 MOA with match component handloads), higher magnification is useful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few different variables on my ARs.

S&B 3-20 on a 223 Ackley.

S&B 4-16 on a 6 Grendel.

I also have a S&B 5-25 on my OBR.  Cant find a pic right now.

Good quality variables are heavy, but I dont see that as a negative.  Just keep the height over bore as low as you can get and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m in the market for new glass and looking at both the Razor and ATACR.

I’m going with the Tremor3 reticle on my LaRue OBR .308 and something less busy on my MK12 (not a clone)

I like the Vortex but concerned about weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top