Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2020 3:50:41 PM EDT
I have a BA 18 inch 223 Wylde Hanson barrel.  Seems to be a very accurate barrel.  What do you guys think of the Rainier Arms Ultramatch SPR.  Is it that much better than the BA.  Is it worth the upgrade?  Give me some guidance or experience
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you unsatisfied with the BA barrel?  You say it's accurate.  Is it accurate enough for your purposes?  Do you reload or does the BA barrel shoot a particular factory load very well?  Just curious what's prompting the desire to switch tubes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I can get moa with it.  I don’t hand load.  Shoots 75 grain pretty well. Wanted to look at 1/2 moa possibly.  Would wonder if an ultramatch could shrink my groups down
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Half moa with factory ammo is tough to do consistently, but the Ultramatch barrels that I have shoot very well. Getting sub 3/4moa should be achievable with a good factory load, closer to half moa with handloads.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m EXTREMELY happy with my two ultramatch barrels. I have their heavy intermediate gas 16” barrel and their 18” spr barrel both shoot lights out. For the price and availability I can’t recommend them enough. Below is an obligatory pic of the two rifles and a 4 shot group I shot with the tan 16” recce (.349 ctc)

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an ultramatch from them for my .308. It is my first “precision” barrel I’ve ever purchased, but in experience I’m very happy. I’ve got about 100 rounds through it so far with zero issues or abnormalities.

As you may have already read, it chambers VERY tightly. I’m not sure if it is normal amongst all of these barrels, but even with Fed GMM 168gr I cannot get the round out once chambered. I am not joking you when I say I have to perform a rowing motion on the charging handle because it is a tight SOB. Oddly enough IMO, I have zero issues cycling. Its impressive from a noobs perspective. Hoping it is a break-in situation, but I cannot say for sure.

Other than that, it a thicc girl that will drill rounds through the same hole at 100yds. My gunsmith saw it when I dropped it off to mate the gas block and his eyes lit up, which is always a good sign.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:24:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top