Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2019 3:14:38 PM EDT
Looking at a used MasterpieceArms chassis which includes both a 6.5 Saum and Creedmor action.  At the risk of sounding like an ignorant fool I have questions.

Looking at a PDF from MPA it appears that changing from one action to another is a simple process.  I make the following assumptions:

1) since both SAUM and CM are 6.5, barrel change is not necessary
2) action change is necessary to accommodate the slight difference in cartridge dimension (i.e. headspace)
3) I've seen no mention of mag change, so that is also unnecessary

Are these statements correct?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By timr:
Looking at a used MasterpieceArms chassis which includes both a 6.5 Saum and Creedmor action.  At the risk of sounding like an ignorant fool I have questions.

Looking at a PDF from MPA it appears that changing from one action to another is a simple process.  I make the following assumptions:

1) since both SAUM and CM are 6.5, barrel change is not necessary
2) action change is necessary to accommodate the slight difference in cartridge dimension (i.e. headspace)
3) I've seen no mention of mag change, so that is also unnecessary

Are these statements correct?
View Quote
1) since both SAUM and CM are 6.5, barrel change is not necessary - not true, the chamber is part of the barrel
2) action change is necessary to accommodate the slight difference in cartridge dimension (i.e. headspace) - not true, both run in a short action
3) I've seen no mention of mag change, so that is also unnecessary - ?? The MPA takes AICS pattern mags
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m confused. Are these barreled actions?

Barrel is different
Bolt face is different
Mags are different
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 6:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#3]
Are you getting barreled action or just actions?

This may be something you don't want at all.

Actions aren't chambered in anything, so it would be a standard short action and magnum bolt face short action.

Creedmoor and Saum use different mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timr] [#4]
Thanks, all.  I am clearly uninformed on this issue so I am unable to assess value, etc. on a potential deal.

I can seen now that obviously the action, chamber, and barrel are one unit.  Therefore, changing from SAUM to Creedmor in an MPA chassis means changing all of this, which is probably a simple matter of a few allen screws.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By timr:
Thanks, all.  I am clearly uninformed on this issue so I am unable to assess value, etc. on a potential deal.

I can seen now that obviously the action, chamber, and barrel are one unit.  Therefore, changing from SAUM to Creedmor in an MPA chassis means changing all of this, which is probably a simple matter of a few allen screws.
View Quote
Just so we’re clear on terminology the chamber is in the barrel and the barrel screws into the action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top