Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
In order to get my 20” AR high enough over the bench to access a short magazine, I wound up with my rear bag too low.  Moving the bag far enough back to raise the stock close to enough put it under the rear sling loop.  The solid foam block I had with me to put under it wasn’t very effective, and seemed to make the bag move a lot, making the whole rifle more difficult to control.

I currently have a “rabbit ear” style bag by Allen.
Attachment Attached File

The bottom of the “V” is 3” high at the rear and 3 1/2” at the front.

What can I do to get a standard rear bag higher and stable?  How can I raise the bag to various heights as needed?  Preferably without spending a huge amount of money…

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Just shove something else under that bag.  Or get a gamechanger
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
https://wiebad.com/range-cube/

This is my go to for gas guns.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So I’m not missing some uber-cool and super expensive gadget?  Just “put something under the bag” is all I need?  That’s good news.

Is a solid block a good idea, or would a simple sand bag (maybe a few of them in different heights) be better?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IHateJake] [#6]
Use a towel. Bath or beach size. Fold it for whatever height you need added and put in under the bag.

KISS
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
So I’m not missing some uber-cool and super expensive gadget?  Just “put something under the bag” is all I need?  That’s good news.

Is a solid block a good idea, or would a simple sand bag (maybe a few of them in different heights) be better?
View Quote

I use a blue jean leg sewn up on both ends. Or a 2"x6" with some rubber stapled to the bottom to keep slippage to a minimum. If I don't have anything available I rest my off hand on top of the bag and support it that way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I use squeeze bags for the rear, gives a good range of adjustment on the fly.

I'll also use whatever is at hand if I have forgotten my bags and need to improvise.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Again, I'm not "missing something."  I can come up with a lot of ways to raise the bag without taking away from its "squeezability" or putting it under the wrong part of the stock.

Whatever I do use, I'll do something to keep it from slipping on the bench, and to keep the bag from slipping as well.

Thanks for the level-headed guidance.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a few of the free socks from renting a tux.  Go get a few produce bags and put rice in them.  Tie it. Double bag it.  Then put two of those socks around it.  Works better than my store bought bags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I did some careful measurements, and I need to raise my rear bag at least two inches, preferably more.

I don’t think a sandbag of any kind would be solid enough to keep the bag at the same height shot after shot.  So I’m looking at making a wooden platform for it.

I’m thinking about a simple box that’s about 2 1/2” - 3” high and a little bigger than the bottom of the bag.  That wouldn’t squash with use, but it would be light enough to haul around without a lot of trouble.  A plywood top and 1x4 (ripped down to proper size) should be simple, yet sturdy.  I’ll add non-slip stuff to top and bottom for stability - I have that mesh toolbox liner stuff on hand, and it seems to work fine in this role.

Yeah, more complex than a sock full of sand, but I will benefit from a more consistent, stable spot for that rear bag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Do you think you are the only person who shoots ARs? LOL

Build up the added height box and see if it works for you. As long as you get the height you need it should.
View Quote

No, I’m sure lots of folks shoot ARs from rests.  It’s just pretty quiet when looking for “here’s what I did for that” information.

I also don’t want to “shade tree” something when there’s a real product that does what I want.  On that note, I’ve found some really slick products that would work for me.  I just don’t have almost $400 for a wonderful Australian adjustable bag rest.

Besides, it would be overkill for my needs to go fancy and even moderately expensive.  Fortunately I tend to keep scraps and extra pieces, so I have all of the materials I need (probably including fasteners) on hand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You're right.  Lots of folks said what they had done.  Making bags, improvising bags, etc., all should work.  

But I asked for how to get my bag higher and more stable.  Using that type of bag has worked well for me with bag and simple cradle rests; I'm used to manipulating that type of bag for the fine tuning I needed.  Now that I have a "real" triangle bench rest - stable and adjustable as all get out - I just need to get the rear of the gun higher.

Nobody said things about creating a basic "block" sandbag, or platform.  Lots of great suggestions if I was starting out without experience or equipment.  They just didn't really answer my question.

It turns out that Caldwell makes a variety of "extended height" rabbit ear rear bags.  This sort of thing would have been the simplest, most direct way for me to overcome my issue.  Too bad their reviews are pretty poor.

So I plan to build my platform tomorrow, and I'll post pictures when it's done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Instead of building a platform - I have the parts cut and ready to assemble - I cut up a 1.5” thick foam kneeling mat.  I now have two blocks that are slightly larger than my rear bag’s footprint, that can raise the bag by either 1.5 or 3 inches.  The foam is light but firm, and unlike a generic sand bag, it doesn’t shift at all.

I used these at the range yesterday, and they worked quite well.  I need to make them “grippier”, since they did move a bit, but they kept my rear bag at the same height the whole time.  I’m thinking stair riser grip tape for the bottom, and toolbox liner for the top so it doesn’t mess up the bottom of the bag.

I’m pretty sure I have this problem knocked.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey OP, I get a lot of use out of this bag, and when its not under my rifle, one of my Buddys always have it under one of theirs..And you can squeeze it easy enough and the price is right...

Attachment Attached File

https://triadtactical.com/triad-tapered-rear-bag/
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Hey OP, I get a lot of use out of this bag, and when its not under my rifle, one of my Buddys always have it under one of theirs..And you can squeeze it easy enough and the price is right...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2021-11-17_at_1_39_28_AM_png-2169873.JPG

View Quote

That’s a great idea!

I haven’t got the “grippy” stuff on my “block” yet, but when I finish it I’ll post pictures.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Arts & crafts have blocks that weigh nothing.. might be near the flower arrangement stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2021-11-17_at_1_39_28_AM_png-2169873.JPG

View Quote

I use both of those bags from Triad Tactical too. The slope of the wedge fits the underside of my rifle stocks nicely for distributed support.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Take off the sling loop an option?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:
View Quote

Not really.  The loop is essentially a small rectangle, with about 1.75 inches of contact width.  The stock without the loop is just a rounded point, which wouldn’t stay put no matter what.

My tests with a tall block (see above for the description) to raise the rear bag show that as long as I get a normal rear bag up high enough, the stock stays in place pretty darn well.

My whole issue with this is the height of the whole rifle on the bench.  To have room for the grip to clear the bench, I need the front rest to hold the barrel up high enough that supporting the stock then becomes an issue.  And instead of spending even more money on rear bags and accessories that “might help,” I just built my foam block.  It lets me get everything lined up quite well, and makes the rifle more stable in recoil as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Make one. Go get some poly pellets, aka doll fill, from Walmart or a local arts and craft store and use an old sock, or new one, filled to the height you need. Make sure to leave a little room for adjustments by squeezing it.
View Quote
^^^^^ this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I essentially did, see above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top