Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2020 10:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03PSD]
Ordered some 55gr Match .223 from Prime Ammunition. Was suprised to see mixed headstamps. I thought Prime had their own brass produced. Maybe it was by Raug. The 9mm I also got from them is the same thing, mixed headstamps. I had heard some things in the past about some things that almost tanked the company but I dont recall the details. In the past I knew Prime was good to go, in fact Frank over at the 'hide used to shoot all their ammo in his videos. Has something changed? Is this 55 gr FMJBT .223 I got actually "Match" quality as it is labeled?

UPDATE:

Jim O'Shaughnessy, owner of Prime Ammo, called me personally to apologize for their error while making no excuses. He was very sincere and offered me a couple options. I asked a few question about the ammo i received and what I could expect so far as accuracy. I asked if it would be comparable to Black Hills Blue Box 52gr which is my usual go to for reasonable price Match ammo, Jim assured me that it would shoot as good or better and offered to refund 100% of my money if I shot it and I wasnt satisfied. After discussing it, I decided to keep it and give it go, Jim refunded me the difference between the new brass and reloaded brass ammo immediately. I am very impressed how this situation was handled by Prime and Jim. They stepped up and took responsibility and made the situation right with me. Very hard to find this level of customer service anywhere today.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I have a box somewhere, I'll have to look for it. I wanted to test it for accuracy, but haven't gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Match quality and mixed brass don't go together
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
So... 55 gr fmj... also not a match component.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:07:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JCIN] [#4]
They had a pretty public falling out with RUAG a year or so ago.

No idea who is making their ammo now.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I received and how it's labeled.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. TAA is US mil surplus from a few years ago.

Looks like we're getting once fired reloads.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

View Quote

I found an old box of the same stuff from a few years ago. the box is smaller and has a pull off tab to open. It says Made in Switzerland by Raug. The new larger box I posted doesnt say who makes it other than Made in USA. The brass is a real mix and not in a good way, everything from WIN, Frontier, LC, Norma, FC, Wolf, Aguila, S&B. They must be buying range pickups from somewhere but if thats the case, theres no way to guarantee they are even 1x fired (if you are even OK with that). I've sent Prime an email.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

View Quote

The TAA shot really good out of my m16. It was HOT too.

Also got some and it did well (for what it is) out of my personal weapons. Nothing notable reloading the brass in my mixed-brass bulk loads.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had good success reloading TAA as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03PSD] [#10]
Looks like Prime shipped new the wrong stuff. Spoke to them and confirmed I ordered and paid for new brass match ammo. Sent them pics of the boxes and mixed headstamp ammo. They are working on a mutually agreeable remedy.

UPDATE IN OP. Very Satisfied with resolution.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad they took care of you!

I'll be honest:  the ONLY reman ammunition I will shoot/buy is Black Hills.  

Also, No offense to Prime but the 55grain FMJ is NOT in any way shape or form a "match" bullet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:
I'm glad they took care of you!

I'll be honest:  the ONLY reman ammunition I will shoot/buy is Black Hills.  

Also, No offense to Prime but the 55grain FMJ is NOT in any way shape or form a "match" bullet.
View Quote
I wouldn't  consider black hills 52 gr flat base "match" either but I've had damn good luck with it., I guess the term is subjective and highly dependent on the shooter. True match ammo won't make a bad shooter better. As long as this ammo is very consistent and as good as I could load myself it'll work for my purposes. My RPR still has a factory barrel which honestly is probably the weakest link in my chain right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Prime makes some fantastic Ammo, and is a great company to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to shoot Prime 6.5 CM several years ago. All the brass was stamped with Prime on them. All the ammo was good.

I spoke with Jim a couple of times and he is a good guy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
@03PSD

I am curious... how did the Mixed brass Prime ammo shot ? Reasonable precision for a 55gr FMJ ?
View Quote
I am embarrassed to say I havent been to the range to try it out yet. The ammo shortage and insanity has pretty much taken the enjoyment out of going even though I have plenty for my bolt guns. I need to go and see how it does. Maybe this weekend. Ill report back. Thanks for the kick in the ass, I needed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top