Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2018 4:13:44 PM EDT
In a semi auto precision rifle application, does the cost of new premium brass make that much difference in mid range accuracy?

I know it makes a difference in a bolt gun when properly head spaced, blah, blah...

but in a semi auto application? What's been your experience versus just sorting once fired brass by headstamp and/or weight?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
yes it will matter
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you reload, absolutely.

Think of it as the foundation of your ammunition, because it is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It may or may not. What it is is consistent.
Lapua brass has concentric consistent neck wall thickness. This allows for consistent neck tension, seating, and concentric finished rounds.

The case volumes are very consistent so all of your careful weighing of charges actually is worthwhile and start pressures should be more consistent.

Flash holes are drilled and centered in the primer pockets for more consistent ignition and less brass prep.

Notice the trend, consistent, might not make a bit of difference on your 100yds groups.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
There are benefits for sure. Consistency is everything.  That said I wont run premium brass in a gas gun, it just gets too beat up for my taste.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
In a gas gun, I get decent repeatability with sorted, weighed brass I've fired myself. I know there is going to be some variation going this route, but the fact it's fired from a semi auto may negate those slight differences? Unlike a bolt or single load gun.

Thanks for the feedback. Just checking before I spent the coin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top